Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Extended codes and modules;  (Read 12395 times)

BudWah

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
Extended codes and modules;
« on: May 18, 2006, 11:52:51 PM »

Hey Now* * * I have a camera that keeps turning itself on...  What is an 'Extended Code'

In 'Room view', on the bottom of the module, the middle icon gives you a report of the actions the module has taken...

It mentioned "Extended code 4 31 (20)" ...

Farther down the list it read "Extended code' 2nd 31" ...

Along with the rest listed, the times the camera was on  and off ...

This particular 'module' has a mind of it's own & is constantly turniing itself on and remaining that way until I turn it off (RF)...

The software is trying to tell me what is up and I can't understand it... What is an 'Extended Code'???

Thanks for the concern and the reply... Budwah

Oh yea... 'Ninja cam' with 'B&W Nightwatch' and a '2 way' lamp module , 'Eagle Eye sensor'
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 12:25:54 AM by BudWah »
Learn To Live / Live To Learn

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
Re: Extended codes and modules;
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 10:01:50 AM »

Standard X10 messages contain 9 bits of data (ignoring the startcode and End Of Message bits).  One bit is used to indicate if the message is an address or a command and 4 bits are are used to indicate the house code.  On command messages that leaves 4 bits to indicate the command for a total of 16 different commands.  For situations where additional data is needed a command called "Extended Code" was defined which allows an additional 20 bits of data to be added to the message.  This is used by X10's 2-way modules (and some 3rd party modules) for things like Pre-set Dim and module groups.  Other uses such as secure addressing, shutter and sunshade control, and ambient light and temperature data have been defined, but to the best of my knowledge have never been used.  If you want to read more about this, check out Standard and Extended X10 Code Protocol

I don't have any experience with X10 cameras but to the best of my knowledge cameras don't use extended codes so the fact that you are seeing them is probably more of an indication of a problem than the problem itself.  Could one of your neighbours be using X10 and have a module at the same address?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 02:31:18 PM by roger1818 »

Mystyx

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • eye see you
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 05:25:34 PM »

What HC/UCs are you using and specific setup?

setup of Hardware Configuration?
have you checked "Tools" "Find Other Computers" ? it will tell you HC (housecodes) are being used around your area.
have you tried another HC/UC?

It could be another source in your area (or in your house) avoid using those HCs.
just a possibility!
Anything is Possible, NOW!! But What can I afford?!
I Can't Afford Time, cause Money is so Important!!

ignis

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 10:59:53 PM »

Did you every find the problem here?

I have a similar problem with a module I am using to control my bedroom fan. It had worked reliably for over a year and suddenly a couple weeks ago it started acting erratically. When it turns on by itslef, I check the Activity Log of AHP, and see this message: "G15 Extended Code 3 3b (Mstr BedRm Fan)". I am using G15, but don't know what the deal is with the extended code...

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 11:36:32 PM »

Did you every find the problem here?

I have a similar problem with a module I am using to control my bedroom fan. It had worked reliably for over a year and suddenly a couple weeks ago it started acting erratically. When it turns on by itslef, I check the Activity Log of AHP, and see this message: "G15 Extended Code 3 3b (Mstr BedRm Fan)". I am using G15, but don't know what the deal is with the extended code...

That Extended Code command is from AHP.  It's  configuring a 2-way module like a LM14A or AM14A to return its status when it receives an On or Off command.  What device type do you have set for G15?

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

ignis

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 08:52:09 AM »

In AHP, I used the Lev-6291 module, but in actuallity a 23885W relay switch is used in my bedroom.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 11:19:41 AM »

In AHP, I used the Lev-6291 module, but in actuallity a 23885W relay switch is used in my bedroom.

AHP treats the Leviton 6291 as a 2-way module (i.e., can report back its On/Off status to AHP) which supports Extended Code commands.  However I think this is incorrect and a bug in AHP.

As far as I can tell from the brief product descriptions, neither the Leviton 6291 nor the Smarthome 23885W is a 2-way switch, so that Extended Code configuration command is superfluous.   Change the module type in your AHP setup to an ordinary AM486 Appliance Module and that should solve the problem.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

ignis

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 02:11:20 PM »

I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 02:54:59 PM »

I'll give it a try. Thanks!

It occurs to me:
It's not clear from the Smarthome website, but if your 23885W responds to the All_Lights_On command, use the AHP model for the LM15A "Socket Rocket", which is a non-dimming lamp module, instead of the AM486.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

ignis

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 11:32:01 AM »

I tried the LM15 and the problem still occured. I will give the AM486 a try.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 08:05:20 PM »

I tried the LM15 and the problem still occured. I will give the AM486 a try.

It sounds like your AHP file is screwed up.  I suggest you start from scratch with a new file.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

ignis

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 12:18:42 AM »

I didn't know that was possible. I've got too much in here to rebuild it all. Is there a patch or a way for me to view the AHP data in text format where I can clean it up myself?

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 05:53:17 AM »

I didn't know that was possible. I've got too much in here to rebuild it all. Is there a patch or a way for me to view the AHP data in text format where I can clean it up myself?

Let's back up at bit.  When you changed the module type in AHP from the Leviton 6291 to the LM15A, I expected that the Extended Code messages you were seeing would stop.  (If your program is downloaded to the CM15A, I presume you re-downloaded it.)  If they didn't stop, that would be an indication that your AHP file was hosed.

If Extended Code messages did stop but your Smarthome 23885W module is still turning on at random times, that's a different matter and perhaps unrelated to your AHP file.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Boiler

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 01:40:52 PM »

ignis,

Following up on some of Charles comments:

• Try you configuration again, making sure that you've downloaded to the interface.
  • Look at the menu item: File\Reports\General.  Make sure that no other module or Macro has crept in at the G15 HouseCode.  I've done this to myself a number of times when I've "misplaced" modules.

Per another of Charles' comments, try creating a new AHP file with only your Switch loaded (test file).  If this functions properly you have a software issue with the old file.  If not, get back with us and we'll work through it.

As a side note, what are you trying to do with the fan (ceilling?)?  Do you have it on a timer?  If you are not actively controlling it with AHP then you don't need the module loaded in the software (RF will still work without it loaded).  If you are using it as a placeholder - I understand.  I do this as well so I don't loose track of modules.

Sorry to interrupt,
Boiler

Johnny5dm

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 02:06:29 PM »

My apologies for latching onto this thread, but it seemed relevant.  I'm trying to use the Extended Code function in AHP's Smart Macros in the "Advanced" section.  Basically, I'm just trying to understand how extended codes work here.  I've read through this document:  http://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/xtdcode.pdf 

I can't seem to make sense of what's actually going on, though.  I'm familiar with hex/dec/bin conversions, but can't seem to decipher what to actually put into the fields (nor what AHP's activity monitor is spitting out).  For example, I discovered that a command byte of 0x31 followed by a data byte on the decimal scale of 0-63 (0x00 to 0x3F) is a quick on to whatever the data byte is on a scale of 0-63 (in hex form).  But I can't figure out what 31 translates to in terms of that document.  Can someone throw me a line?  I think I'm just missing something small, but I'm not sure what.  If someone can walk me through, step by step, how 31 translates into an "on" or "bright" command (or other?), that would be amazing.  Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.