🔌General Home Automation > Troubleshooting Automation Problems

Antenna CM15A

(1/2) > >>

Duck69:
I'm in the process of setting up my X10 system and will be using the CMA15A.
From what I've read, the CM15A's range is limited.
Is it possible to replace the attached antenna with say a TV, or Stereo dipole antenna ?
I realize that doing something like this would void the warranty. But if it works; WHO CARES ?   ;) ;D
Any ideas, suggestions or better yet "How To" would be very much appreciated.

Brian H:
www.accessha.com In the projects area.
I have done one myself.
Some who don't want to mess inside the wrap added wire around the plastic sleeve and extend it.
If interested can point you to the cm15a schematics on the FCC Web Site.
Note newer cm15as have the receiver antenna hot glued to the case in a large 'U' shape. Original ones like mine had the extra wire balled up in a knot. Yes the factory antenna is longer then the plastic tube it isn't completely stretched out in the tube. Someone else actually added a longer plastic tube and extended the original.

Tuicemen:
Otis69 : here is the link to part Two Adding an External Antenna
Building your own antenna will get you the best results as you need the proper wave length for best results. you can purchase antenna of the proper size as I've seen links but can't remember them off hand think there may be some in the thread.

Tuicemen:
oops :-[ Not  really the second part but there are links of interest as well as this one
How to Make a One-Quarter Wave Ground Plane Antenna

dave w:
Otis69

Regarding the antenna construction, I took the easy way out also.
My solution was a 9 foot length of coax with F connector at one end and I stripped away 18 inches outer jacket and shield on the other end.

I poked a hole in the ceiling of the closet where I hide the CM15A and shoved the 18 inches of foam covered center conductor up into the attic. The 18 inches of unshielded center conductor forms a  1/2 wave lenght omni directional antenna.  Works great! I can get + 50 feet outside the house.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version