Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 Questions  (Read 24642 times)

Jim 31452

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
2 Questions
« on: May 20, 2006, 11:54:11 AM »

Thanks for all your help with my past issues. I have two new issues.
1 - When I set up a new room, I select a different color 'header bar' for that room. That's the last I see of that color, all the rooms have the same color. Not a big deal but what am I missing?

2 - I read all the posts about removing the batteries, un-plugging the AHP USB Interface and then plugging it back in so my computer will recognize it. Just wondering why I have to do this (several times over the course of a week) - am I better off keeping the Interface "always on" and plugged into a USB port... rather than disconnecting it and having it run as a "stand alone".

As usuall... I appreciate all the help.... I believe the X10 is a great addition to my home... just trying to fine tune it.

billy

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
Re: 2 Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 12:38:25 PM »

Jim 31452,

1. In AHP Tools - Preferences - scroll down and UN-CHECK "Color Room Modules by Type"

2. What's happening that makes you have to reset the CM15A?
"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."  Albert Camus

Jim 31452

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 05:53:34 PM »

Billy - I get two error messages:
* The windows error says " One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it"

* The AHP software error I get when I start the program says "The Active Home Pro USB interface isn't connected to your computer" (it is, of course, connected)

Normally, I will connect the AHP USB interface to program it and then disconnect it. When I re-connect it for more programming, I connect it to the same USB port.

So when I get these errors, I do the standard "Remove batteries, un plug...." and then re-connect the interface. I can't think of anything I'm doing to cause these errors - except for disconnecting the unit from my computer, which, from what I've read, shouldn't be a problem.
Maybe I should just keep it connected to my computer?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 06:24:38 PM »

Maybe I should just keep it connected to my computer?

That might be the best thing to do. If you keep disconecting it, Windows is likely to throw a hissy fit if you keep doing it and putting it back.

Connect it, let Windows discover it, and leave it connected!!!!!!.

That's one less thing to bug you.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Jim 31452

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 01:45:57 PM »

:) Make sense to me.

With that, I'm good for a while.
Thanks for the help and when the next issue pops up - I'll post!

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 11:27:30 AM »

I keep my CM15A disconnected from my PC for two reasons:

1) My CM15A is across the hall from the PC so I would have to drag the USB cable through the walls.
2) A large power surge could theoretically travel through the CM15A to the PC.

These days I "reset" my CM15A before connecting it to my PC whether it needs it or not. I figure it doesn't hurt since the clock will be set as soon as it gets connected and the program is stored in the EEPROM so it won't get lost.

bbcbr9

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 04:45:07 PM »

i leave mine connected 24/7 never had a issue with it.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 05:55:43 PM »

i leave mine connected 24/7 never had a issue with it.
Ditto... Baring a specific negating condition, that is the best thing to do.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

billy

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 06:19:06 PM »

I'm with roger1818, my original unit from October 2004, runs disconnected, placed close to the breaker panel.
No issues.
Antenna and capacitor modifications done.

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."  Albert Camus

Mystyx

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • eye see you
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 01:11:20 PM »

* The windows error says " One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it"

* The AHP software error I get when I start the program says "The Active Home Pro USB interface isn't connected to your computer" (it is, of course, connected)

Maybe....   Do you have your CM15A connected directly to your Motherboard?
might be a problem if you say connect it through a USB hub or through a monitor. ALSO, some computers come with 4 or 6-8 USB connections and sometimes they run a couple through an internal hub instead of directly off the M.B. some thoughts if you can check the internal connections of the USB in your PC. :)

my PC comes with 8 USB ports, 4 on the M.B., 4 are off the M.B. and I have another 4 USB ports on my Monitor, plus 4 off my hub. I made sure I used the ports from my mother board for my CM15A & VA11A.
someone else use these on hubs etc?

have you tried reinstalling to a different USB port?
Anything is Possible, NOW!! But What can I afford?!
I Can't Afford Time, cause Money is so Important!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.