🔌General Home Automation > Troubleshooting Automation Problems

two speed evaporative cooler 1 HP motor control

(1/2) > >>

ChrisinSantaFe:
I am installing an evaporative cooler on my house and would like to take advantage of Active Home Pro and X-10 control modules to control my cooler.  The unit has a 1 HP motor with three wire connections.  Common and two switched 120VAC connections.  One connection runs the motor at low speed the other at high speed.  I looking for ideas on how to accomplish this.  I am wanting to install the control modules on my roof.  I can add an electrical box to accommodate the control modules (and contactors if necessary).  Right now I simply have an outdoor J-box that houses two duplex outlets.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris

Mike C:
You may want to take a look at this relay module from smarthome.  Here is some info.
http://www.smarthome.com/1289.html

1289 30-AMP APPLIANCE RELAY MODULE

Save a fortune on your utility bills by running heavy appliances at off-peak hours
Comes with an ON/OFF button -- control appliances remotely or locally
Doubles as an X10 signal bridge -- get two products for the price of one

If you've been looking for an X10 appliance module powerful enough to handle loads higher than 20 amps, you're in luck! Due to popular request from Smarthome customers, we now offer an X10 module powerful enough to handle appliances rated as high as 30-amps. Use it for controlling electric water heaters, air conditioners, baseboard heaters, and other heavy-duty appliances up to 7,200 watts!

dave w:
ChrisinSantaFe
You don't say how your fan speed is changed normally.
Do you want to control fan ON-OFF and speed by X10? If so, one way of doing it is two appliance modules, each controlling a 20 amp DPDT relay with 120VAC coil.

Use one relay to apply power and the second relay to determine which motor winding the power is applied to. That way even if you accidently turn ON both appliance modules, you won't be applying power to both  high AND low speed windings.

steven r:

--- Quote from: dave w on June 19, 2006, 12:39:45 PM ---...Use one relay to apply power and the second relay to determine which motor winding the power is applied to. That way even if you accidently turn ON both appliance modules, you won't be applying power to both  high AND low speed windings....

--- End quote ---
I was straining my brain to try to figure out how you would use X10 and keep from turning on both motors. I was thinking in the "ON/OFF" box. Simply thinking a bit out of the box solves the problem.

ChrisinSantaFe:
The motor has three connections.  One is common the other two are to run the motor at low or high speed.  Apply 120 VAC to one pole and the motor runs at low speed.  Apply 120VAC to the other and the motor runs at high speed.  Both low speed and high speed are NOT energized at the same time.  I am beginning to think that I need a latching relay to select between the low and high speed connection and another to deliver 120VAC to that latching relay. This to control the motor on/off and the speed.  I will add another relay to control the water pump inorder to run the unit just as a fan or as an evaporative cooler.  I hope this provides some clarity.

Thanks for the suggestions - welcoming more after my clarification.

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version