Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Instructions For DS7000 Security System  (Read 8723 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Instructions For DS7000 Security System
« on: April 17, 2006, 07:31:30 PM »

Hi guys say I was just looking over the instructions that came with the DS700 security system and I don't see anything about how to use the "listen in" feature, how could they have missed putting this information in the manual? The listen in feature is one of the key features of the unit. Also after you listen in don't you have the option of cutting the alarm off or just letting it continue to to sound and flash the lights but I don't see any mention of that feature either. Could someone walk me through the procedure and if this is buried somewhere in the manual tell me where it is. Thanks!

Tcj

Sonic

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Instructions For DS7000 Security System
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 08:40:05 PM »

The only reference I saw to this feature was the example message "...press zero to listen in".  If there is more that would be cool.  Like being able to call into the DS7000 and getting a status update.
If it ain't broke it doesn't have enough features yet.

tom j

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 10:39:59 PM »

The only reference I saw to this feature was the example message "...press zero to listen in".  If there is more that would be cool.  Like being able to call into the DS7000 and getting a status update.

That's what they should have a call in feature to let you check the status of the system. Most modern systems allow for this. Say what page did you see the press zero, and when you do that does it disable the alarm?? if not what do you press if you want the unit to cut the sirens off. These instructions are flaky at best, how could they omit these features. Thanks!

Tc

Sonic

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 10:51:10 PM »

That's what they should have a call in feature to let you check the status of the system. Most modern systems allow for this. Say what page did you see the press zero, and when you do that does it disable the alarm?? if not what do you press if you want the unit to cut the sirens off. These instructions are flaky at best, how could they omit these features. Thanks!
Tc
I totally agree with the builtin dialin feature, I was looking at other alarm systems, but they all required some kind of ($paid$) monitoring service.  I really like the fact I can have it call cell phones / neighbors.  I found the reference on page 15:  Storing a Voice Message
1. Set the console to INSTALL.
2. Press the RECORD button.
The BUSY light turns on.
3. Speak clearly into the microphone on the front of the console. You can record up to
15 seconds of speech. For example: “There is a burglary in progress at (address).
Press 0 to listen-in.

screw-in lamp modules, plug-in appliance modules and many others.

I haven't found any other "hidden" options, but hopefully search / google can help :)
If it ain't broke it doesn't have enough features yet.

misslyndsey

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 05:25:30 PM »

I've been working closely with the DS7000 and as far as I know the only way to listen in is if the system calls you.

So you get the call, press 0 or 1 to stop the alarm, and the system stays open like an telephone receiver off the hook and you can hear what's happening on the other end until you hang up.

It wouldn't be possible for a caller to listen into the house by calling - although that WOULD be really cool - because you'd have to rig ProPlus to "answer" a call somehow. Right now it just places calls. Since it uses your telephone line, and your telephone number, rigging it to answer the phone would tie up the line, too. I'm sure there's a way to do it, but that's aftermarket work...

tom j

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 07:35:35 PM »

"So you get the call, press 0 or 1 to stop the alarm, and the system stays open like an telephone receiver off the hook and you can hear what's happening on the other end until you hang up."

Ok x10 let me get this straight. When the system calls you, you press 0 to listen in, and to turn the alarm off if you decide to do that you press 1. So if I did press 0 when the system called and I heard someone talking that wasen't suppose to be there if I just hung up the alarm would continue until it cut off by itself? Just want to make sure I understand because this sure isn't covered in the the manual. Thanks

tc

misslyndsey

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 04:01:11 PM »

"So you get the call, press 0 or 1 to stop the alarm, and the system stays open like a telephone receiver off the hook and you can hear what's happening on the other end until you hang up."

"Ok x10 let me get this straight. When the system calls you, you press 0 to listen in, and to turn the alarm off if you decide to do that you press 1. So if I did press 0 when the system called and I heard someone talking that wasen't suppose to be there if I just hung up the alarm would continue until it cut off by itself? Just want to make sure I understand because this sure isn't covered in the the manual. Thanks

tc"

Not exactly. It's a lot simpler than that. All of the buttons on your keypad give the same command. All you have to do is push any button; the alarm will stop; AND you can listen in. If you hang up, the alarm will remain off. The idea is that if there's a false alarm - if you accidentally set the alarm off yourself - you can tell the person on the other end. If you happen to hear a ruckus on the other end you'll know it's an intruder and that someone should call the police or go check on the house. The talkthrough feature isn't foolproof, for obvious reasons, but it's a nice bonus.

tom j

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 11:52:07 PM »

"Not exactly. It's a lot simpler than that. All of the buttons on your keypad give the same command. All you have to do is push any button; the alarm will stop; AND you can listen in. If you hang up, the alarm will remain off. The idea is that if there's a false alarm - if you accidentally set the alarm off yourself - you can tell the person on the other end. If you happen to hear a ruckus on the other end you'll know it's an intruder and that someone should call the police or go check on the house. The talkthrough feature isn't foolproof, for obvious reasons, but it's a nice bonus."

Thanks x10 now why isn't any of this explained in the manual that comes with the DS7000, seems like a BIG omission to me.

Tc

misslyndsey

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 06:36:35 PM »

I'll have to pass on your comment to someone who writes the manual. thanks for the input.

tom j

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 07:01:01 PM »

I'll have to pass on your comment to someone who writes the manual. thanks for the input.

Please do thanks, this is extremely important just don't see how this was overlooked. Say talked to a friend and although he hasn't had to use this feature lately he told me that he remembers after pressing zero that he could still hear on of the powerhorns in the background so are you sure pressing zero turns the alarm off I thought pressing zero allows you to listen in and pressing any other number cuts the alarm off. Thanks

Tcj

mathman

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 07:20:27 PM »

mslindsey,

As long as you are passing on info to the writers of the owners manual, you might add the following.

1.  There is a difference between input and output units (according to Eric in support)
2.  Why is there a Run1 and a Run2

I am sure I have thought of more info that is missing.

misslyndsey

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 06:15:03 PM »

Thanks

tom j

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 01:39:48 AM »

I also have these same questions hopefully x10 will respond.

Tcj

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 11:37:44 AM »

Tom J,
Here are some answers.

I received this information from fitzpatri8  at the Access forum:

1) Can you use it to control switches, such as A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, etc. ?
Yes, it works as a tranceiver for all units on its housecode.

2) When it calls you and you press 0 to listen in. Can you speak through it, so that if someone is there, they can hear you ?
No, listen-in does not function as a speakerphone. Listen only.

3) When it calls you and after pressing 0 to listen. Does it re-set to alarm again after you hang up ?
After the listen-in period expires, the siren starts again. The siren stops after four or five minutes.

The listen-in period is about 1 minute.

Jim
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.