Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Use spell check  (Read 8570 times)

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
Use spell check
« on: June 28, 2006, 06:10:24 PM »

I would encourage Forum participants to use the "Spell Check" button and the "Preview" button before they post their messages.  I find it very difficult to understand some of the questions when words are misspelled.  Unfortunately, there's no help (here) for some of the poor sentence structure, but if the words were spelled correctly it would help immensely.  Sorry about the criticism ... I'm just an old crab who thinks "how you communicate is a reflection of who you are."

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Use spell check
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 08:01:55 PM »

I tend to be more forgiving about spelling as I know how horrible mine is. Sometimes I have to guess at a word more than once before the spell checker can figure out what I'm trying to type. Forget about trying to use a dictionary. I can usually recognize a correct spelling but don't see it in my head when I'm trying to type. Furthermore I can retype the same word incorrectly in the next sentence even right after correcting it. While the forum spell checker leaves a lot to be desired, it's better than nothing. It has a really funny way of correcting some words while leaving parts of the misspelling attached. I've never seen a spell checker act more weirdly. I prefer ieSpell. Also unlike the forum spell checker, I can add common forum abbreviations to it such as AHP or HC.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 06:26:51 AM »

I would suggest you be a little more tolerant. Remember not all of the participants in these forums speak English as their native language. I wounder how well you would do if you had to participate in these forums in another language.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 08:24:17 PM »

JimC -- you are absolutely correct about participants not speaking English as their native language. ... you just supported my suggestion.  All those not familiar with the language should use "Spell Check."  It will help educate those not familiar with the language.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 08:39:03 PM »

Just remember, the Spell Check is not 100% perfect.  It does not recognize AHP (Active Home Pro) and several other commonly used X10 terms.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 08:53:47 PM »

...It does not recognize AHP (Active Home Pro) and several other commonly used X10 terms.
As I've said before in a post far, far away, it would be nice if commonly used abbreviations such as AHP and HC could be added to the forum dictionary.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.