Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: This product is ALL HYPE  (Read 8762 times)

suckered

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
This product is ALL HYPE
« on: July 08, 2006, 12:22:56 PM »

Great advertising.  Lousy product.  Purchased AHP and a couple of WS12A dimmer switches, a couple of lamp modules, and an RF style (3 unit) switch.  I would say the AHP module stuck to the programmed schedule the first couple days.  After that, lights may or may not go on.  Or, go on at non-scheduled times.  The RF switch will only work if it's 10 feet from the control module (what range!).  The WS12A dimmer switch started going on whenever it wanted, even after I disconnected the control module and even with no bothersome appliances going (e.g. washer, dryer).  I finally decided to re-install my original (basic) switch, and in removing the WS12A I discovered that it was almost too hot to touch!  Needless to say I was glad I was removing this thing before something really serious happened.  What a waste of money!

wssparks77

Re: This product is ALL HYPE
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 06:48:38 PM »

:'(   I am with you pal. I purchased over $400.00 worth and its a crap shoot on what will and what will not work.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: WS12A switch
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 10:28:06 PM »

...and in removing the WS12A I discovered that it was almost too hot to touch!...
While AHP & X10 have some challenges, a WS12A switch under normal use should never be that hot. You may of had a defective switch.
BTW... What where you switching with it? (It's recommended for incandescent lights only 60-300 watts.)
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 02:07:34 AM »

:'(   I am with you pal. I purchased over $400.00 worth and its a crap shoot on what will and what will not work.

X-10 came onto the scene ~30 years ago. Unfortunately, in the years since then, *MANY* new (and unexpected!) electronic devices came onto the market that INTERFERE with X-10.  :o

Sadly, X-10 doesn't make this "critical information" public in their ads. :(

CLICK on my SIG LINK and spend some time reading - you'll learn how to get it all working... :)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

suckered

Re: WS12A switch
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 12:40:09 PM »

...and in removing the WS12A I discovered that it was almost too hot to touch!...
While AHP & X10 have some challenges, a WS12A switch under normal use should never be that hot. You may of had a defective switch.
BTW... What where you switching with it? (It's recommended for incandescent lights only 60-300 watts.)

Just my front porch lights.  All incandescent and well below 300 watts.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 01:03:18 PM »

Interesting.....since the WS12A uses a neutral, it usually works better than the WS467.

Taketheactive is absolutely right. Since X10 hit the streets 30 years ago, a lot of things have come along (mainly switching power supplies) that throw monkey wrenches in the works.

It is not "a crap shoot"  but it is not "Plug -N-Play" either. You have to work at it a little, especially if you jump in in a big way.

You describe classic symptoms of noise and coupling problems. They are solveable, but at some additional cost and effort.

Check out "taketheactive" link, or search "noise" , "coupling" "filters" "repeaters" etc in this forum.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 01:04:26 PM »

I've seen conflicting specs for the WS12A. I read one place that it was rated for use between 60 to 300W. Most specs I'm finding now say it is rated for 500W.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

me too

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 01:51:24 PM »

Wall switches will get warm and this is normal. A metal wall switch cover will act as a heat sink to dissapate some of the heat.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.