Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: POST RATINGS: Which Ones Are Plus? Which Ones Are Minus?  (Read 6756 times)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
POST RATINGS: Which Ones Are Plus? Which Ones Are Minus?
« on: July 09, 2006, 11:33:32 PM »

Is there any way to determine:

• Which posts have been rated POSITIVE ?
  • Which posts have been rated NEGATIVE ?

IMO, it would benefit the Original Poster to know *WHICH* posts generated NEGATIVE votes.
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
Re: POST RATINGS: Which Ones Are Plus? Which Ones Are Minus?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 09:13:07 AM »

1) Also add a neutral rating.
2) Members should be encouraged to rate the posts.
3) I've encountered many posts that were helpful and I've rated as such.
4) Some that are general and was neither helpful or unhelpful. (Neutral)
5) Some that are just plain confusing and not helpful at all. (Negative)
6) Questions that don't say what the problem is. Etc.

In the case of #5 if the poster could see which of their post are negative and why. They could then modify the post or post another reply.
#6 Is understandable when someone becomes flustered or don't quite know how to ask their question. In which case they could try to ask the question in a different way.

As far as all posts goes X10 should realize that the can capitalize on them to improve their products, their websites and create a meaningful support FAQ using the questions and answers on the formuns. This in turn would increase their bottom line make their customers happy. Which in turn would create a tremendous sales force through recommendations of their products to others. Again increasing their bottom line. DUH !
Jim
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 03:42:39 PM by Otis69 »
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 09:44:52 AM »

I've never found the rating system to be of any great value though I do appreciate any positive ratings. (I have a goal of 100.  ;))
Unlike eBay where a high rating is crucial, ratings on this forum won't make or break a sale.
e.g. Ratings can be given on a whim. Also someone with a "high rating" can have an off day as well as someone with a "low rating" could come up with a great solution to a problem.

One of the things that I like about this forum is the wide base of knowledge the people here have. Most of the time you'll have a responce to any question or problem in a short time.

I do feel forum spammers are a good candidate a low rating, however.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 01:10:41 AM »

I've never found the rating system to be of any great value though I do appreciate any positive ratings. (I have a goal of 100.  ;))
Unlike eBay where a high rating is crucial, ratings on this forum won't make or break a sale.
e.g. Ratings can be given on a whim. Also someone with a "high rating" can have an off day as well as someone with a "low rating" could come up with a great solution to a problem...

:D

The way things are going, I guess my goal will be 100 NEGATIVE ratings!  :o

But, I must repeat my original question:

POST RATINGS: Which Ones Are Plus? Which Ones Are Minus?
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 08:04:47 AM »

Since your own post rating is Post rating: +0/-5 ([helpful] [not helpful]), draw you own conclusion.  ;)
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Duck69

• Unselfish Love
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 01:03:19 PM »

Personally, I would like a way to see which of my posts receive a negative rating.
, so that I can review it and maybe modify it so that it may be useful.
Positive ratings makes me feel good because that means that I was helpful to someone.
My goal is to receive 0 negatives. ;)

phorce1

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 01:39:49 PM »

TakeTheActive,

Many of your posts have been abrasive in general. You have to remember that noone can see you or hear your tone in a written environment.

I'm one of the people who tagged you with a negative -- and it would have been two but the forum has sanity checks in place (1 hour wait between "karma actions". When you first arrived on scene (had fewer than 10 total posts as I recall) some other newbies posted off topic questions in the Announcements section. They posted on July 5th. On July 6th, before the mods probably had a chance to notice (you actually think X10's budget alows for someone to keep an eye out in here 24/7?) you posted in GREAT BIG SCREAMING RED LETTERS

MODS WHY IS THIS IN ANNOUNCEMENTS?!?!?!?

That's basically just calling the original poster stupid and the X10 mods lazy all at once. Not helpful at all. Especially when you (at the time) were a brand new member on the site.

I don't know where your other negs came from. Probably from the abrasive tone. Even if your answers are correct they aren't very helpful if you make the person you are responding to feel like an idiot and chase them away from the forum.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to see which messages generated a + or -. Might want to find out which forum software is being used and suggest it to the authors. Hmmm -- bottom of the screen says "X10 Community Forum | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved."

Gerald

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 12:51:50 PM »

FWIW   TaketheActive (at least the user name) may be new to this forum, but judging from the on target replies, they have been around X10 since "Pico" (that would be the original developer) and Rye.

One can read a text response and assign any "tone" to it they wish, although giant red fonts do tend to convey a specific tone.

I tend to get really frustrated with user questions that clearly indicate the poster has not even bothered to unfold the instructions packed with the product, and then they complain how crappy the product is. Makes me abrasive ALSO!!!!!!!

It surprises me that X10 does not occasionally throw in a response that says "You twit, read the instructions!"  . OK I'll step off the soap box now   ;-)
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Duck69

• Unselfish Love
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 03:40:45 PM »

IF SOMEONE HAS A PROBLEM WITH A POST. THEY HAVE CHOICES:
Report it to the moderator
Give it a negative rating
Ignore it.
Heck you don't even have to read that persons future posts if you don't like their tone or whatever.

We are here to get and give help, also to learn. At least I am. We don't have to worry about someone else, just ourselves.

Now. What do you say, we get back to the plus and minus thing ?
I believe that it may be helpful if when you give a person a rating you'll be able to state your reason for that rating if you wish to.  :)

zach1234

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 09:36:58 PM »

Total agree.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.