Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Transceivers need resetting?  (Read 4274 times)

jim h

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Transceivers need resetting?
« on: August 12, 2006, 01:15:41 PM »

I have RCA transceivers and x10 modules.  50% of the time the transceivers don't operate.  Once I unplug and re-plug them, they work fine.  In writing x10 I was told there isn't a compatability issue, that in fact RCA makes components for x10. 

Am I experiencing a quality/compatability issue???  This happens with all three RCA transceivers.  Thanks, Jim

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Transceivers need resetting?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 01:59:46 PM »

The X10 TM751 transceiver and RCA equivalent have a known lock-up problem when sent a string of continuous dims.  Reportedly, the RR501 transceiver is better, but I have had to unplug mine a couple of times too.  To avoid this problem, never hold the dim button down on your RF remote.  Give it single steps, and watch the lamp respond to each step.

I understand X10 manufactures all this stuff, and just re-brands items for RCA, Stanley, etc.  Even the low-end Leviton X10 stuff is actually manufactured by X10.
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 04:12:26 PM »

I believe that actually it is the other way around. X10 makes OEM's for many manufacturers. Radio Shack; Heathkit; RCA and Black and Decker Freewire come to mind.

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 04:59:36 PM »

I have a couple of thoughts based on my experience with the RR501 and it's clone the PAT01 that may also apply to the TM751.  I had problems with both of these when I was using a CM11A.  The RR501 and PAT01 are 2 way modules.  I used to take advantage of this to unlock the CM11A when it very occasionally locked up.  Instead of resetting the CM11A I would simply send RF commands to turn the outlet on the RR501 or PAT01 on/off or vice versa depending on what it was connected to and this would unlock the CM11A.  Once I verified this worked I programmed the CM11A to turn the RR501/PAT01 outlet on in the AM and off in the PM and the CM11A never locked up again (assuming I wasn't using the outlet for anything, which I wasn't, if I had been I might not have needed the program).  This also solved the dimming overrun/jam problem since that only happened in either the on or off position, I've forgotten which.  I still use my PAT01 in the garage as an RF repeater from the RF remotes in our cars for the CM15A. Just to be on the safe side I turn it on one day a week and off on another day.  Needless to say nothings connected to it.  If you decide to try this scheme from an AHP macro to the TM751 don't forget to send the on/offs as RF commands not power line commands.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 08:32:48 PM by Oldtimer »
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

jim h

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 10:10:58 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  It's nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing this issue, but I'm dismayed to hear there aren't more of us, then maybe they'd fix the problem. 

I love the product, but every time I go to use it or show it off to friends, guess what!  They could have sold a bunch more if there weren't so many folks laughing at it.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.