Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: window/door sensors unusable in new location  (Read 8932 times)

rbytzdy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
window/door sensors unusable in new location
« on: July 13, 2006, 07:40:04 PM »

I purchased an x10 Powerhouse Supervised Security System (Model DS7000) several months ago. It worked well in the apartment I had then. I have since had to move to a new place (rental) that has turned out to be less secure and in an area more dangerous than where I was before.

Unfortunately, the window/door sensor magnetic switches do not fit the current configurations. The molding around the doors creates a very narrow strip for attachment, and one side of the part that comes together on the double hung windows (I don't know what that is called) is also too narrow. One side of the switch needs to be less than half the current width or it will block the doors and windows from opening.

Please tell me if there are other designs for these switches that I can purchase. While the building I am in is old (hence the problem with the wood molding around the doors), the windows are new and the frames are metal.

Thank you.

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
Re: window/door sensors unusable in new location
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 04:16:14 PM »

If you have the room, you can mount them at 90 degrees of each other.
For instance the stationary part can be mounted to the top or side of the sill. It doesn't have to be on the window frame.
Of course you still have to line the up the part on the window with the stationary part and have the arrows facing each other.
I've had to do this on a few of my windows.
I hope this isn't confusing.
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 10:36:07 PM »

The side that doesn't take the battery is just a magnet.  Nowdays you can get very strong rare earth magnets that are small compared to other typical magnets.  I use a Sonicare toothbrush and each toothbrush head has two black rectangular blocks on the bottom (about 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch and about 1/8 inch thick) that are VERY strong magnets with a VERY small profile.  If these can be used, a pair of toothbrush heads cost me about $24 (at COSTCO) and provides 4 magnets.

RECYCLE!  :)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 04:08:27 AM »

Why don't you check out Radio Shack they have a lot of different types possibly a size that might work better also check with your local alarm store these places have all kinds of contacts also try a Google search on door window contacts lastly almost forgot check out The Home Security Store.com  (Thehomesecuritystore.com) they have a large selection of contacts. That magnets thing just might work check Radio shack for magnets to.

Tcj

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.