Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Novice - want to control an outlet  (Read 3124 times)

Rich_in_Bowie

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Novice - want to control an outlet
« on: July 02, 2006, 07:40:32 AM »

We have a bedroom so far from the furnace/AC that the air cannot easily reach it through the ductwork.  So the room is hot in the summer and cold in the winter.  I want to put a booster fan at the register in that room but I want to slave the outlet the fan will plug into to provide power only when the main HVAC fan is blowing.  I figured I could put a module on that outlet, but brousing X10 equipment, I have not been able to find a simple transmitter that I could install at that power supply to the main HVAC fan to signal the remote module to turn on and off.  There is no other X10 in our home and I'd like to accomplish this as cheaply as possible.  Could anyone suggest a (combination of) product that will accomplish this task?  Thanks.  Happy 4th to my fellow Americans.
Rich

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Novice - want to control an outlet
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 09:01:41 AM »

The X10 Powerflash module could send a signal if triggered when your HVAC fan is on.

An easier approach would be to use a boaster fan that runs automatically. ie It has a built in sensor that turns it on and off with the air flow.

A quick Google search gave me this boaster fan on sale. Check around. This model should work nicely for you and appears to be on sale right now at more than one place.

Home Depot, while currently out online, might be the best "brick & mortar" place to pick one up. Check this link.

If aesthetics are important (ie. A dangling cord is too tacky.) stick on molding to hold the cord is cheap and can be painted to match your wall. (I've only seen it in white.)

If you really don't want your solution to be visible, they make in line duct boasters.
(Don't let the wife know about this option as they are a much bigger pain to install.  ;) )
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 10:05:32 AM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Rich_in_Bowie

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 04:48:06 AM »

Thanks Steven.  I bought one of those automatic boosters and we'll see if it can really sense the air temp in the duct below accurately enough to turn itself on and off.  If it works, great. If not, I may still have to control it by slaving it to the main fan.  We will see.  Thanks for the tips.
Rich

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Boaster fan
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 07:44:10 AM »

...I bought one of those automatic boosters and we'll see if it can really sense the air temp in the duct below accurately enough to turn itself on and off.....
It's my understanding that it works better than "slaving to the main fan". I believe it can be adjusted to delay start (eg Wait a min for warm air before starting.) and continue a bit after the main fan stops (eg Pull wasted heat from the ducts.). Of course those maybe wishful specs on my part. Let us know how well it works.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Rich_in_Bowie

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 05:01:58 AM »

The Suncourt Equalizer I bought works very well - - at least with the AC.  I was surprised that it really could sense the little bit of cold air making it to that register.  It comes on within a minute of the main blower and goes off within three to five minutes.  No X-10 needed here.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.