Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: motion sensors.... help!  (Read 3196 times)

confused1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
motion sensors.... help!
« on: July 19, 2006, 02:31:35 PM »

I posted this earlier on the General Boards, but i see that this may be the more proper spot for it...  I hope this is the correct board to post in, if not i apologize...I'm a totally new to "home automation," so i hope you can forgive my ignorance or lack of knowledge in this area...

I'm thinking about setting up a system and read some interesting tidbits regarding motion sensors... hmmm....  I also found myself confused after reading about motion sensors versus 2-eay motion sensors... can anyone shed some insight as to the difference of these?  they both sound the same to me, but i'm sure that the 2-way has to have some additional capabilities?  is this correct? is it worth the extra investment???

also, aside from turning on and off a light, what other uses can a motion sensor be used for?  it seems like a bit of an investment to "just" turn on and off a light with...

Any suggestions for a newbie?
thanks
Confused1  ???

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: motion sensors.... help!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 02:56:58 PM »

...aside from turning on and off a light, what other uses can a motion sensor be used for?...
If you have AHP, it can trigger macros. With conditional macros the options are almost endless.
e.g. I normally have my front porch light at 50% brightness in the evenings. The motion sensor I have mounted there triggers a conditional macro. Most  of the time it brightens to 100% for 5 minutes. On Halloween, however, it dims the light and triggers the fog machine under the headless man sitting at the door. Same sensor with no reprogramming for my Halloween application.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

confused1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: motion sensors.... help!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 07:58:07 PM »

thanks for the suggestions....  it's nice to see that the sensors can be used for more than just lighting...  If I happen to put together a Halloween gag, I will have to keep that in mind.  I guess it's just a matter of how creative you can be to use these sensors.....  any other ideas?

thanks,
Confused1

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.