Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help! Can't get VCR programmed correctly  (Read 3977 times)

totallyconfused

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Help! Can't get VCR programmed correctly
« on: July 29, 2006, 12:24:23 AM »

I can't get the VCR Commander to work.  I believe I'm doing things correctly:

1. Plug in power, unplug transmitter cord
2. Press/Hold REC, Press REC get 7 beeps
3. Press VCR Remote's REC and hold remote to back of VCR Commander, get a single beep, light goes off/stays on

4. Press STOP
5. Get 7 beeps
6. Press VCR's STOP button, hold to back of VCR Commander, get a single beep, light goes off/stays on

7. Transceiver clicks on when motion sensor goes off.  It then clicks off about a minute later.

8. VCR doesn't REC.  I think I got it to work once but it didn't STOP.

Has anyone else done this successfully?

If not, are there work arounds?  I can't leave the VCR recording 24/7, it will burn out.

I've been at this for hours and can't get it to work.

HELP!

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
Re: Help! Can't get VCR programmed correctly
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 10:15:48 PM »

Yes this thing does work great but it is a real pain in the back side to set up.

I would recommend that you start by clearing everything. The instructions tell you how to do this.
If you get 7 beeps the unit did not recognise the command from the VCR remote and you will have to start over. I have found it best to clear the unit each time you have to start over. It took me  about a half hour to get mine programed and numerous retries. If you follow the instructions exactly as they are written you will have to leave your VCR turned on if you want it to record. There is a way to program the power button if you want but for now just follow the instructions as written.

_ _ ...  ..._ _

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 01:42:08 AM »

...There is a way to program the power button if you want but for now just follow the instructions as written.
Since virtually every VCR ever made, as well most TVs and similar items, do not have distinctive ON/OFF commands it's best to just leave the VCR ON. i.e. The remote signal toggles the current state so you can never be sure that you are turning the VCR On or Off remotely.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 07:53:41 AM »

Steven R

The remote signal toggles the current state so you can never be sure that you are turning the VCR On or Off remotely.

I agree with you that is why I did not include instructions on how to do it with my suggestions although I have it programed in mine and have never had a problem. It turns the unit on and records with no problems and when it is done it turns the VCR back off. Maybe I just got lucky with my cheep Emerson VCR. :) ;D
_ _ ...  ..._ _

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.