Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Macros changing sequences by itself  (Read 19720 times)

Mavrik

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Macros changing sequences by itself
« on: July 19, 2006, 01:10:44 AM »

I'm running SW13A software and trying to write a fast macro (std macro doesn't work either) to download to the two way interface (serial port). The problem is the sequence in the placeholder keeps moving at the software level before downloading or testing. The light dimmer sequence; 100% for 20 minutes, 20% for 1 minute, off. Using 3 macro functions with an on trigger.  The delay minutes always end up in sequence. IE; 0, 1, 20 instead of 20, 1, 0.

I not able to trigger a macro with a timer from the software as well.

I want to be able to do timer sequences from dawn and dusk triggers.

It was my understanding that the bundle I bought from the x10 website could do all of the above.

Also the software keeps loosing the PC to interface connection.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Macros changing sequences by itself
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 07:03:51 AM »

Is the software the Active Home software [sorry I don't know if SW13A is that software]; as you said serial port. With a CM11A Interface?
Are you using Windows XP? The older Active Home Software with the CM11A interface is known to drop the serial port connections in XP. If this is what you have. We may have some tips on settings in XP that Sometimes helps.

Mavrik

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 08:46:57 AM »

Yes, it is active home software. I got the CD with the bundle I bought from the x10 website. I downloaded/running the latest version from the x10 website. Yes, it's the CM11A interface. Yes, running XP.

I would like the tips for the serial dropping. My main concern it getting the macros to work in the proper sequence and trigger from the software timers. Also to have it all run from the CA11A interface with the computer off.

Dr. Zoltar

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 01:18:20 AM »

I have a similar problem.  Albeit I'm trying to use the Active Home (not Pro) program to make my outside lights turn on at dusk and off at dawn (using the Socket Rockets for this).  I'm using the serial port adaptor and XP.  And the communication link drops off consistantly.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 09:47:27 AM »

I have a similar problem.  Albeit I'm trying to use the Active Home (not Pro) program to make my outside lights turn on at dusk and off at dawn (using the Socket Rockets for this).  I'm using the serial port adaptor and XP.  And the communication link drops off constantly.

That is a known problem for many with XP. Some PC's will constantly drop serial ports and for those, the CM11A vansihes and reappears at odd intervals. When that happens the only recourse is to upgrade to Active Home Pro and the CM15A USB interface.  One good thing is that AHP will import the .X10 files and convert them.

You should contact X10 Customer Service and see it you can either return the Active Home package and get AHP.  X10 will sell you AHP and the CM15A for $49.99.  I feel that these "deals" that X10 is pushing are at the very least, somewhat deceptive.  A lot of the Active Home users who upgraded to AHP did so because of the known serial port problems. I was one of them.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 09:49:39 AM by Dan Lawrence »
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Dr. Zoltar

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 10:56:44 AM »

Nice of X10 to put that documentation on their site.   >:(

I don't understand if they are trying to sell a product, why not just list that Active Home Pro is recomended over Active Home if you run Win XP?  I took a chance with them because I wanted a way to have my outside lights turn on automatically with a remote for when I came home after dark.  Now their software package that is supposed to work doesn't because of THEIR coding issue.  And they couldn't be bothered to list technical stuff on their site.  What a scam...

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 02:41:12 PM »

It's not X10's coding area, it's something in WindowsXP that makes some systems Com ports get flaky. MicroSoft doesn't know the why either, It very well might be individual motherboards that don't properly respond to Com port calls, but nobody knows.  There are XP users who have zero Com port problems and are running Active Home happily.

My gripe is X10's pitching of a system under false colors. The software link points to a link that takes you to the download site for Active Home 1.42. I suspect there are some who bought the deal who don't have the Com problem.  You and I do. I switched last July, when I upgraded my box to XP and AH "lost" the CM11A. My X10 system has no cameras or any of the add-ons. Don't need them.

Contact X10's Customer support and see if they will sell you the AHP package for less than the $49.99 shown on the website since you were taken in by the hype.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 05:59:59 PM »

I honestly don't understand why the two Community Organizer's who responded to your post didn't address this  ??? :-[ , but...

I'm running SW13A software and trying to write a fast macro (std macro doesn't work either) to download to the two way interface (serial port)...

Yes, it is active home software. I got the CD with the bundle I bought from the x10 website. I downloaded/running the latest version from the x10 website. Yes, it's the CM11A interface. Yes, running XP.

I'm going to assume here that you're an X-10 Newbie (no insult intended!) - if you do a SEARCH of the X10.com site, you'll discover that SW13A software is actually an X10 Staff Typo  :o :-[ and, AFAIK, doesn't actually exist. It was *ONLY* referenced by THE BANDIT during the recent X10/RCA Activehome and Remote Control Kits *SALE*. Is that what you purchased?

• Activehome (Original) CM11A uses ActiveHome version 1.42 released March 11 software
    AFAIK, version 1.3x was available on CD-ROM "years ago" (IIRC, I have a copy! or else something even older!!), and 1.42 (and 1.41 and 1.40) needed to be downloaded from ftp.x10.com
    The CM11A uses a SERIAL interface
  • Activehome PRO CM15A, AFAIK, uses SW31A software, which is a Secure Download and requires an Order Number in order to obtain a (time-limited) PRIVATE DOWNLOAD LINK
    The CM15A uses a USB interface

...The problem is the sequence in the placeholder keeps moving at the software level before downloading or testing. The light dimmer sequence; 100% for 20 minutes, 20% for 1 minute, off. Using 3 macro functions with an on trigger.  The delay minutes always end up in sequence. IE; 0, 1, 20 instead of 20, 1, 0.

I not able to trigger a macro with a timer from the software as well.

I want to be able to do timer sequences from dawn and dusk triggers.

I've been running the CM11A for *MANY* years and this terminology does not sound familiar - unless X10 has released some SPECTACULAR NEW SOFTWARE for the CM11A (SW13A?), I've only seen the term "triggers" mentioned when referencing the CM15A software.

*IF* you really do have a CM11A *AND* you are running AH v1.42, the MACRO (Fast or Standard) commands would be:

• A1 ON 100%, Absolute, Delay = 0
  • A1 DIM -80%, Relative, Delay = 20
  • A1 OFF, Absolute, Delay = 21

...It was my understanding that the bundle I bought from the x10 website could do all of the above.

Either the CM11A (Original), or the CM15A (PRO), are capable of doing what you ask.

...Also the software keeps loosing the PC to interface connection.

...I would like the tips for the serial dropping.

*IF* you really do have a CM11A *AND* you're running WinXP, my suggestion (and I've read other's advising the same) is to run Win98 - either on a separate "spare" PC, or make your current PC "DUAL BOOT", and then boot into Win98 when you wish to program and download to the CM11A.

I personally use an old Toshiba 550 CDT laptop that I bought *CHEAP* on eBay (I was using my original Toshiba 430 CDT, but it's maximum screen resolution is 800x600 and so many websites have gone to 1024x768, or greater, that surfing was becoming a 'problem'; I leave the 550 and AH 1.32 running 24x7 so that I can refer to the "Communications Log" of what happened just in case something looks like it 'went wrong'; so, since it's already on 24x7, I use it to surf too! :) ).

Bottom Line: If you need assistance with the CM11A, I'll be glad to help you out.  ;D

P.S. Read my X-10 FAQ (click on my SIG LINK) and also read the X-10 Checklist that I posted here...
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 06:04:21 PM »

I have a similar problem.  Albeit I'm trying to use the Active Home (not Pro) program to make my outside lights turn on at dusk and off at dawn (using the Socket Rockets for this).  I'm using the serial port adaptor and XP.  And the communication link drops off consistantly.

Do you have a 'spare' PC and/or a copy of Win98?

BTW, why did you choose Socket Rockets instead of Wall Switches?

Dr. Zoltar

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 08:45:51 PM »

Sadly I do not.  I have a spare PC, but do not have a copy of Win 98 (got rid of it when MS decided to not support it anymore)

It's the only thing my outside lights would take.  The lights are hard wired into the exterior of my house so the socket rockets were the only choice.

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 11:07:43 PM »

Sadly I do not.  I have a spare PC, but do not have a copy of Win 98 (got rid of it when MS decided to not support it anymore)

"Got rid of it" as in throwing the CD into the garbage???  :o

It's the only thing my outside lights would take.  The lights are hard wired into the exterior of my house so the socket rockets were the only choice.[/size]

How do you ever shut them off?  If they're hardwired, are they ON 24x7???  ???
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 11:09:41 PM by TakeTheActive »

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 11:13:01 PM »

Then your only choice is to upgrade to Active Home Pro unless you want to be frustrated with Active Home.  If there happens to be a computer show near where you live, you might be able to pick up a copy of Win98 for that spare computer you have and run Active Home on it.

Since you got taken in by one of the Bandit's deals, either contact X10's Customer Support, see if they will give you a lower price on Active Home Pro or put the 'ol crowbar in the wallet and get AHP for the $49.99 price. 

Your choice.

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 11:43:36 PM »

Then your only choice is to upgrade to Active Home Pro unless you want to be frustrated with Active Home...

Dr. Zoltar:

IMO, you should spend some time READING *ALL* the X-10 Forums.

I'm only a "Newbie" to these X10 Community Forums (although I'm an Old-Timer to X-10), but, IMO, it appears that Dan and I disagree.

From *MY* perspective:

• If you stick witn Activehome [Original] and load your CM11A from a Win98 PC (Dual-Boot is OK!), you won't be frustrated
  • If you decide to upgrade to Activehome PRO, *PLEASE* read through the forum messages and see if you're "up to it".  :D

BTW, I *JUST* bought the CM15A a few weeks ago when the current X10 "DEAL" offered *ALL* the optional software packages for *FREE*. I haven't even taken it out of the box yet. When I do get a "Round Tuit", I plan, initially, to run it as just a "Receiver" and see how it reacts.

This is certainly a FUN hobby - *BUT* you need to do your own research... [i.e. X-10 is *NOT* Plug-N-Play! :P ]

Dr. Zoltar

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2006, 12:34:07 AM »

Thanks for the advice.  Currently I can turn on the Socket Rockets using the remote that came with the Active Home $49.95 special.  So the swtiches to the lights are on 24/7, but the remote controls them turning on and off.  I'm still trying to figure out how to get them to function with the new Logitech Harmony 550 all in one remote I just purchased, but that is another story.

I suppose I could get a copy of Win98 fairly cheaply now, but it seems like a pain to create a duel boot system just to get Active Home to work.  Does anyone know off hand how well it works with Win2K?  I'd rather have a duel boot system to that OS.

I think what I'll do as well is email X10 and tell them my situation and give them two options:

1)  Offer me Active Home Pro with USB adaptor for free (since they are obviously selling a defective product with Active Home)
2)  Ask for their software patch to fix the issue with 1.42 (I suppose it's only fair to ask them if they have one)

Since they are based in Washington State, and I live in Washington State, I could always go the route of filing a complaint with the Attorney General if things go bad.  But really that's a last resort if they tell me to get lost or something.

And Dan, I will do a bit more poking around these forums to learn a bit more.  I'm just thankful I didn't spend more than $100 on the stuff I got from X10.  They did get favorable reviews from several places on-line, so I took the chance to see what their products could do.

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2006, 12:57:04 AM »

...Currently I can turn on the Socket Rockets using the remote that came with the Active Home $49.95 special.  So the swtiches to the lights are on 24/7, but the remote controls them turning on and off.
IMO, you need to SPECIFY PART NUMBERS when you refer to X10 components. Many "Newbies" just use generic names. :(

...I'm still trying to figure out how to get them to function with the new Logitech Harmony 550 all in one remote I just purchased, but that is another story.

IR-543 (it's too late EDT for me to lookup the LINK for you!  :P )

...I suppose I could get a copy of Win98 fairly cheaply now, but it seems like a pain to create a duel boot system just to get Active Home to work.  Does anyone know off hand how well it works with Win2K?  I'd rather have a duel boot system to that OS.

Win2K is on my "To-Do" List - if all goes well, I can (probably) let you know in the next few weeks (going into the hospital for surgery "soon", so, don't actually know how much "tinkering" time I'll have... ;) )

...I think what I'll do as well is email X10 and tell them my situation and give them two options:

1)  Offer me Active Home Pro with USB adaptor for free (since they are obviously selling a defective product with Active Home)

Personally, I doubt that will get you anywhere - Activehome [Original] is *NOT* a defective product - use a PC wth a Microsoft OS that "properly" supports" the SERIAL interface, and, from my experience, it will work just fine.

2)  Ask for their software patch to fix the issue with 1.42 (I suppose it's only fair to ask them if they have one)

Try: X10 Drivers

...They did get favorable reviews from several places on-line, so I took the chance to see what their products could do.

For the price you paid, you won't do better.  Getting them to work "reliably" takes some reading...

Read my SIG LINK and my X-10 Checklist Post...

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.