Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When X10 dims a light...  (Read 5600 times)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
When X10 dims a light...
« on: June 22, 2006, 08:14:20 PM »

...does the light use less energy in the dim state?
I never really understood the electronics behind how a switch dims so I was just wondering.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: When X10 dims a light...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 08:33:52 PM »

Yes, the light uses less power/energy in the dimmed state.  But... the efficiency is also reduced, i.e., you get less visible light for your buck.  More of the (reduced) power is dissipated as heat rather than light.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 08:06:30 AM »

Yes but not proportionable to the level. Like a 50% dim does not use 50% of the energy. The filament in the lamp changes its properties with temperature and changes things.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 09:33:42 AM »

Yes but not proportionable to the level. Like a 50% dim does not use 50% of the energy. The filament in the lamp changes its properties with temperature and changes things.
So from an energy point of view, it would be better to replace the 100 watt front porch bulb with a 60 watt than to run the 100 watt at 60% brightness. Right?
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 10:18:30 AM »

steven r:
There are tradeoffs:  The higher the voltage (i.e., less dimming), the greater the efficiency and the more light for your energy buck, but the bulb will burn out faster.  For better efficiency, pick the lowest wattage bulb which provides the required light level.  To increase bulb life, you can dim the lamp about 10% without serious loss of brightness.

For best efficiency and bulb life, switch over to compact fluorescent instead of incandescent bulbs.  But there are issues with using these with X10 modules and they're generally not dimmable.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 02:36:25 PM »

...For best efficiency and bulb life, switch over to compact fluorescent instead of incandescent bulbs....
Even if they did work well with X10 and knowing they save energy, I've never really cared for fluorescent lighting. I just don't find it a relaxing light source. I guess I'll be paying a bit more to heat up a filament till LEDs become practical for home use.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 03:00:38 PM »

Although not recommended by X10 Compact Florescents work fine with the socket rocket.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 03:46:38 PM »

If I can ever get a non-dimming CFLs retail, I'll try them. I have 3 Socket Rockets in my Club Cellar.  Every one I've seen retail are are marked "not for use in dimmer circuits". I prefer to buy them in packs of 6.

I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 04:53:59 PM »

Dan Lawrence:
The LM15A Socket Rocket doesn't have a dimming feature  (only On/Off/LightsOn/LightsOff/AllOff), if that's your concern.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 07:00:44 PM »

I am aware of that.  Since it is most economical to buy CFL's in quantity, I want any CFLs I buy to be non-dimming. Every retail place I've seen CFL's for sale, they are always in bulk packs and I have only 3 Socket Rockets. I would like to use a CFL in my lamppost, but the module that controls it is a dimmable module. I tried a CFL a couple of years ago when they first came out, and there was a noticeable flicker in the daylight hours.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 07:43:22 PM »

I have not noticed any flicker when using the CFL with the socket rocket. I have found the CFL's to be reasonably priced at IKEA and they are in individual packs.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 11:23:09 PM »

That I will check out. There's an IKEA about 15 minutes from my house.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 07:23:46 PM »

...Even if they did work well with X10 and knowing they save energy, I've never really cared for fluorescent lighting. I just don't find it a relaxing light source...

I've been using fluorescent lighting wherever possible (over the past 30 years), SPECIFICALLY to save money!  ;D [The extra lumens are just a 'side benefit'. ;) ]

I'll agree with you that COOL WHITE and WARM WHITE fluorescent tubes (straight and circular) don't emit the 'warm, cozy, relaxing, old-fashioned' feeling of tungsten (though I do like WARM much better than COOL!), BUT, IMHO, the CFLs of the past few years certainly do!

I've had a Philips "Earthlight" in the Living Room (for reading) for SEVERAL years and love it. CFL-wise, I've purchased:

• GE (@ Target)
  • FEIT (@ Drug Fair)
  • Commercial Electric (@ Home Depot) - THE *WORST* longevity-wise! >:(

and I've recently (during the hot weather) started using the CFLs in the basement (instead of the multiple Dual 40-Watt COOL WHITE 4-foot tube fixtures) to both reduce heat *AND* conserve energy.

Currently, I have a STANDARD, OLD-FASHIONED 40-Watt Tungsten bulb at the bottom of the basement steps (Tungsten since it's controlled by a MS13 and goes on-and-off all day long), and I have a FEIT 9-Watt CFL (40-Watt equivalent) running 24x7 in the basement hallway [instead of several 4-Watt nightlights (which used to be *7-Watt* nightlights! Progress, eh!  ;) )], a GE 26-Watt CFL (100-Watt equivalent) in the Shop, and a FEIT 25-Watt CFL (100-Watt equivalent) in the Computer 'Lab'. *AND*, honestly, I cannot tell the difference between the CFLs and the Tungsten.

Personally, I prefer the WARM WHITE (or 50% WARM / 50% COOL) in 'Work' areas - IMO, the 'Tungsten-type' of light is too dim, dingy to work with, but OK just to 'navigate by'. ;) - so I'll turn on the BIG GUNS when I need to actually do some REAL WORK in the Shop. But, for just finding a tool, or checking a battery in the charger(s), the CFLs are just fine.

Which CFLs have you tried that you don't like?  ???
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.