Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LM15A turns on but not off  (Read 9097 times)

Cmanhome

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
LM15A turns on but not off
« on: March 04, 2006, 02:29:43 PM »

I have an old LM15A lamp socket module which will setup for correct turn on responce, but will not turn off with same command.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

Mystyx

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • eye see you
Re: LM15A turns on but not off
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 02:40:15 PM »

LM15A is RF screw in socket ? check options in macros and use a macro to turn it on and off, dont choose the module to switch, but the RF Command set to the module (screw in RF socket).
Anything is Possible, NOW!! But What can I afford?!
I Can't Afford Time, cause Money is so Important!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 06:58:07 PM »

Regular Incandescent bulb in the LM15a?
If you move it to another test outlet is it then more stable?
It isn't on as soon as you apply power is it?

Herrin

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 08:22:45 PM »

I've had the same problem.  Yes I'm using an incandescent bulb.  Tried on many outlets.  I even tried it in the same outlet that the ActiveHome Professional Computer Interface (CM15A) is plugged into.  And yes it is on as soon as I apply power.  I contacted X-10 and they walked me through the steps to reset it.  This still didn't work.  They said I must have a broken unit.  Well now all of my screw in lamp modules are faulty.  I'm waiting for the next huge sale (6-for-19.99), so I can get some more.  I will also purchase the extended warranty next time.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 11:07:03 PM »

An LM15A is also known as a Socket Rocket. It does not have code wheels, you set it with the LM15A in a lamp socket plugged into an outlet with a desktop controller plugged in to it as well. Send the same code (A1 for example) three times and the light should turn on.  LM15A's do not use RF signals, just X10 codes.

The other socket module is a SL575, which is the larger scew-in lamp module. It does have code wheels to set the address.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 06:47:45 AM »

Herrin;
If it is On as soon as you apply power. It is blown out. I have killed a few myself. A surge from a light bulb burning out; at turn On; frequently shorts the triac in the module and it never goes Off.  ::)

Wildtoad

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 05:34:11 PM »

I've goon thru about 3 LM15As in about that many years. Thing locks up in On mode when plugged-in and cannot be controlled. Too expensive for that failure rate. Another solution is in order.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 06:26:57 PM »

I have used the larger SL575 from X10. It seems to be more durable. Downside it is very large and ugly; compared to an LM15a. It has dials like most X10 modules.

Though I am now using an LM15a Socket Rocket with a CFL and it is fine. :o
 :o Now by all rights; a CFL should not be used in a module that uses a triac to control the power or dim. Also only some brands work for me. Some made so much noise between the triac and the CFLs electronics to mask X10 signals and make a few bars on my ELK ESM-1 X10 Signal meter.

ScottH

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 12:55:35 AM »

I had the same problem, but on first use.  I used a 75W bulb and after about 30 min it stopped working (always on).  When I took it out to examine it I found that solder had melted from inside the unit and leaked into the housing where the bulb screws in.   I think the recommended approach in a prior reply to use the larger, clumsy-looking edition of this capability is the way to go until X10 comes up with a more robust design for the LM15A.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 07:35:14 AM »

Another cause of always on is the surge from a bulb burning out. Will overload the small triac used to turn it on and off and it shorts. That keeps it on no matter what. I have actually used a meter and measured the short from the socket tip to the screw in tip.
Though not reccommended by most; since the LM15A does not dim. I have used SOME brands of CFLs in a Socket Rocket.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.