Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Computer Interface  (Read 5670 times)

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
Computer Interface
« on: July 29, 2006, 10:05:10 AM »

First of all, I'd like to thank all of you who have helped me in the past.
THANK YOU !
Because of the help I received. Both my home and detached garage have security and automation that is working flawlessly.
Of course when you're finished, you're still not finished. You always have 1 more thing to do.
Mine is installing just 1 more floodlight. Well actually 2 things. The other is an automatic gate opener.

Before, setting up my computer software, I am once again reaching out to you for advise.
Explaining my setup may better enable you to help me, So here goes.

We are using a small bedroom as a home office. There is 1 outlet on the West wall with the door, 1 outlet on a South wall,
1 outlet  on the East wall and a closet on the North wall.
On the West wall is my wife's computer etc. plugged into a surge suppressor and an extension cord that runs over to the South wall.
The East wall has a small desk with Fax machine, telephone, adding machine & such also on surge suppressors.
On the South wall is my mess. 2 computers, VOIP, router, modem, land line phone, vcr/cd, stereo, scanner, pyro pro, ext. HD, usb hub, lamp and printer on surge suppressors.
I want to use my HA software to control certain functions, so of course I'll also be plugging in the computer interface.
With no spare outlet and surge suppressors all over I expect that I'll have problems with computer control.
I can't run an extension cord from someplace else. THE BOSS (AKA my wife) won't let me.   ::) :'(

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jim
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Computer Interface
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 10:29:09 AM »

...With no spare outlet and surge suppressors all over I expect that I'll have problems with computer control....
Sounds like your first step is getting more outlets. The cheapest approach that may work is a plug in 6 outlet box. You remove the outlet plate, plug in the 6 outlet box, and screw in the new long center screw. Takes about 5 minutes tops and can be done without turning off the power if you're careful. On the other hand, safety 1st, turn off the power. (Disclaimer for the Darwin inclined that might feel the need to stick a screwdriver in or around the socket.) Final result is 6 outlet box where the 2 outlet box use to be. Should meet anybody's aesthetic requirements.

Surge suppressors / UPSs can be a bear to deal with. My perfectly working system decided to go on vacation the other day. I'm planning to make filters for all my UPS units.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 11:40:48 AM »

steven r, I will be able to plug in the interface. But from what I understand, plugging the interface into a shared outlet causes problems...
It's best not to have signal suckers in the same outlet so if you do say need to plug in a UPS or surge protector in the same outlet you may need a filter for the surge protector. e.g. I had a small surge protector plugged in the same outlet for over a year without any problems. Then we had a storm and now my X10 signal is a weak as H***. I then discovered that surge protector was stealing some signal.

The fact of the matter is that if you value your computer you will at least have it on a surge protector. I strongly recommend a UPS. Also the easiest way to use AHP is to have it connected to your computer. This means just about everyone has a potential need for a filter from the start.

What I didn't mention is that if you need to plug in "wall wart" plugs they may cover 2 or more outlets of the 6 outlet box. I still think it may be just the thing for you and they're cheap.
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 11:50:43 AM »

In my case the APC BX1000 UPS was sucking up most of my signals. In my case I used a Smarthome 1626-10 [10 Amp version] X10 Line Filter with pass through outlet on the front. The interface is in the front pass through and the UPS is in the filtered outlet. Not perfect as the filter can cover the top and bottom of a single outlet. That was fixed by using a 6 outlet adapter plugged into the original outlet. It still covered the two right and two middle outlets but the left two where still free for other items. My other option was to only use the bottom outlet in the row and let the assembly hang below the 6 position adapter. Not a stable that way but could be used, if needed.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 05:40:05 PM »

OK ! I've managed to free up an outlet with the exception of a surge supressor that only a computer is on.
So, if I get a SmartHome 10amp filter and plug the computer into the filtered plug and the interface into the unfiltered plug.
Would that should do the trick ?  :-\
Let's hope so!
Just for the heck of it try it now without the filter. I still recommend getting the filter but it would be interesting to see if it worked at all.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 07:53:52 PM »

Signal maybe marginal and one switch is more sensitive then the other. Do you know that both are on the same circuit. You may want to try it with the computer unplugged from the outlet to see if the filter maybe still allowing some noise through the circuit.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 09:57:20 AM »

I have seen switches wired a few ways and there are probably other ways also. One the Line and Neutral feed the box. The switched load and neutral go to the light or load. The another is the Line and neutral go to where the load is and the line is spliced to a switch loop that goes to and back from the switch; with the switched line going to the load.

Have you tried reversing the blue and black wire on the switch with no response. Should not make much difference but some have reported differences when swapped. Stealing power through the load sometimes makes the X10 signals do strange things.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.