Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: monitored system without telephone  (Read 12269 times)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: monitored system without telephone
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 11:09:17 AM »

One thing to think about with VoIP is when power goes out how many people have tested there cable to see if its up and running? Cable companies have power amps on poles all over their grid and most are powered with the same line as all the houses. When I loose power I loose cable.

All my equipment, cable modems, VoIP modem, routers, hubs and computers are on power backup but I loose VoIP because one of those big green cable amp boxes is mounted on the pole out back and it gets power from the same line I do.
I hadn't thought of that. While land lines are powered from the phone company, I hadn't though about the cable line.
So bottom line your could have a UPS the size of your washer and still be up the creek for VoIP service if the "big green cable amp box" wasn't getting power.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
Re: monitored system without telephone
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 05:40:49 PM »

Thats about the size of it. The one time I lost power because of a transformer going south, that amp behind me was on the same transformer. Had it been somewhere else I may of had power but still no cable. Some of the units have battery backup themselves but I think thats more for retaining memory for the built in computer then to power the amps.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.