Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Will this work?  (Read 2407 times)

MrTRiX

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Will this work?
« on: August 02, 2006, 01:46:06 AM »

My idea is having ActiveHome Pro USB w/Software (CM15A-SP-IS50) on a computer in the basement with mic/speaker wires running to my room. Then a Decorator Dimmer Switch (WS12A-HA) to control the overhead light in my bedroom. Then Pro Duplex Receptacle Module (XPR-W-WA1-S) to control something in the future say to turn a fan on/off. This will run with BXVC. Does this sound like it will work?

Also I had a few other ideas that I would like to ask how possible they are:

CallerID said outloud through speakers using a modem and callerID program?
DVB card and Linux control TV through BXCV and take custom commands and send them to the command line?
Alarm clock setting through BXCV and announced through some kind of program (command line)?
Can BXCV be told to play music and if so could it hear me turn it off?
IR Transmitter through USB then controlled by voice to turn on tv and send commands to my other IR equipment?

This is all a little unorganized atm but any help would be appriciated.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Will this work?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 02:47:21 AM »

My idea is having ActiveHome Pro USB w/Software (CM15A-SP-IS50) on a computer in the basement with mic/speaker wires running to my room. Then a Decorator Dimmer Switch (WS12A-HA) to control the overhead light in my bedroom. Then Pro Duplex Receptacle Module (XPR-W-WA1-S) to control something in the future say to turn a fan on/off. This will run with BXVC. Does this sound like it will work?
Only problem I can think of is possible noise on the mic/speaker lines.  Best use shielded wire on the mic. especially.

Also I had a few other ideas that I would like to ask how possible they are:
CallerID said outloud through speakers using a modem and callerID program?
BXVC doesn't do this (yet) but it is something I'd like to add.

DVB card and Linux control TV through BXCV and take custom commands and send them to the command line?
Translation please! :) (hey, I never said I knew everything!)

Alarm clock setting through BXCV and announced through some kind of program (command line)?
Again, great minds think alike.  This WILL be included in the future.

Can BXCV be told to play music and if so could it hear me turn it off?
At present, if you can set up a macro in AHP for playing and stopping the music, and assign X10 house/unit codes and on/off to the macros, you could create a "Device name" in BXVC for the macro and have it issue the appropriate X10 house/unit code and on or off command.  Also, the off command will be more "iffy" with any noise (including the music) in "ear-shot" of the microphone.
I intend to add commands to control Windows Media Player and any other media players people are interested in.  Just a matter of finding the time.

IR Transmitter through USB then controlled by voice to turn on tv and send commands to my other IR equipment?
I'm still investigating what IR transmitters are out there and trying to decide which would be best.  There are very few, but I haven't been able to get enough information about them to decide.  I have limited finances and can't afford to buy them all.

Please join the forums at http://wgjohns.com/forums and post your suggestions in the BXVC Wish List topic.  It's easier for me to keep track of suggestions there.

Thanks in advance;
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Will this work?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 09:58:09 PM »

MrTRiX,

Assuming you are the one who did post as a Guest on my forum at wgjohns.com, I moved the post to the BXVC Wish List topic and answered there.

If it wasn't you... "NEVERMIND!" :)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.