Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stiil use X10  (Read 1334 times)

AMXoldhack

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Stiil use X10
« on: November 16, 2019, 09:45:59 PM »

when I was a teen ager I got to move into my parent's basement and quickly wired up ( from parts from an old pinball machine!) control of all the lights in the basement. took a couple of wind shield wiper motors and configured them to open/close window shades. this system eventually evolved into touch tone control with any phone on hook. pick up, it was a normal phone to dial.
when BSR came out with X10 I jumped on it. (early 1970's?). Eventually over the years it X10 has been the the back bone of my remote controls. My house is saturated with X10 devices. All controlled currently by an AMX Axcent system with touch panels through out my house. to this day I still send X10 commands by "Frankensteined" X10 chips. when the cma 11? came out I experimented with it but found the method  to d__n slow! X10 commands are already limited tr 60 Hz. The AMX runs my X10.
Program all my macros there. as signal suckers kept multiplying in my house when  I discovered Mr Volp's?
amplifier and it has been very reliable since.
I don't rely on two way moduals. Retired now and have no interest in changing horses now. Have internet and WiFi but for security reasons will never tie into my house hold automation.
All feedback of X10 devices is handled by my Axcess system and any macros needed are performed by it. "slave driving" an X10 controller chip. Recently built an opto version of my old electro mechnical system, but two much leakage current through the chip strobe lines. plan to build a FET opto version and see if it performs better. >!

Love the new dim up moduals.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 09:49:48 PM by AMXoldhack »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Stiil use X10
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 11:44:01 AM »

Your experienced input will be an asset for X10 users.

Yes the new soft start lamp modules are nice.

Both the appliance and lamp modules where redesigned by X10WTI to use easier to get parts. Maybe ease of assembly also.

Both are a complete redesign with a Sonix SN8P2501BS controller and power supplies. The lamp module is around 5 volts and the appliance module around 4.2 volts.

I have not seen any schematics or hacks of the new hardware versions. Like we could find for the older hardware models.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 06:22:06 AM by Brian H »

AMXoldhack

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 09:40:30 PM »

:( AMX home system down again due to lightning strike. I will rebuild one last time with grounding improvements.
Currently looking for a stand-alone hub to give me control from my iPhone. considering the Smartenit Harmoney P2. :)

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 12:30:33 AM »

With the lower price of $40 for the P2 (+$20 for a PLM) it's hard to beat.  Being able to use Alexa with 40 year old tech breathed new life into X10.  I've been using it for more than 18 months now and it's been solid.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 09:35:18 PM »

Although I've mostly migrated away from X10 [remote] control in favor the new flavors of more modern technologies. I still have a soft-spot... an emotional attachment to X10. I've kept my home theater [X10] PalmPad remote controlled. The same as I created it... some 16(?) years ago.

X10 seems to fit there, in the theater. As cell phones (apps) and talking (Alexa) aren't really acceptable in theaters. The subtle use of a PalmPad to dim or turn off a light just makes sense there. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Banderol

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 11:14:26 AM »

Yeah, I also use the new soft start lamp modules, they are great.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 07:58:35 PM »

We just set-up this years Halloween decorations. I no longer depend on anything other than Alexa/Amazon for timers (and I don't control X10 via Alexa). So the inside and outside devices are now all WiFi device controlled. BUT... I am setting up an X10 active eye motion sensor and computer connected Activehome pro (CM15A) to play sounds when kids approach using my old favorite BVC software.

I still love this X10 stuff! 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.