Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Macros slow to execute...any ideas? (I have my own workaround for now)  (Read 57455 times)

Boiler

Re: Macros slow to execute...any ideas? (I have my own workaround for now)
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 05:40:16 PM »

(I think you'll appreciate this - that's an XTB-IIR hiding under the CM15A - the board is fed 2-phase 240v from the main panel - 9 ft' away)

And you would be thinking correctly.  Nice setup - I was going to ask about the appliance module, but Steven beat me to the punch.

Boiler
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:06:33 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

aslamma

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 07:47:01 PM »

Hey Boiler, thanks a lot for the response...makes perfect sense!  Haha...actually, I was pretty lost.

But end result for applications...best way to get multiple modules to turn give you feedback if they are triggered is to add the delay in between commands, correct?  This seems to work pretty good.  Since there does not appear to be a way to get it to trigger all modules quickly, this looks like the best option.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:07:27 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

Boiler

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 08:46:35 PM »

Hey Boiler, thanks a lot for the response...makes perfect sense!  Haha...actually, I was pretty lost.

But end result for applications...best way to get multiple modules to turn give you feedback if they are triggered is to add the delay in between commands, correct?  This seems to work pretty good.  Since there does not appear to be a way to get it to trigger all modules quickly, this looks like the best option.

Aslamma,

Incorrect, I think you missed section V!).  The quickest way to turn a group of units on is with the "All ON" command:

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:08:19 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

aslamma

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 09:52:11 PM »

Sorry, you are correct.  Actually, I realize that, but unless the grouping of lights is on the same code, that cannot be accomplished.  It is good to realize these things in the setup beforehand.  Unfortunately in my situation, I would need multiple IR-543's to address the additional house codes.  This would be possible, but would complicate my particular setup.  Is there a version of the IR-543 that will address all house codes?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:08:48 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 10:10:20 PM »

Sorry, you are correct.  Actually, I realize that, but unless the grouping of lights is on the same code, that cannot be accomplished.  It is good to realize these things in the setup beforehand.  Unfortunately in my situation, I would need multiple IR-543's to address the additional house codes.  This would be possible, but would complicate my particular setup.  Is there a version of the IR-543 that will address all house codes?

Have you found the IR543AH? Like the IR543 but does all house codes!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:09:12 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

aslamma

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 10:46:36 PM »

Ahh, did not even know it existed...thanks for pointing that out.  Quite expensive for X-10 standards though...used to getting like 10 things for $90, haha.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:09:44 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

Boiler

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 11:11:07 PM »

If you happen to have one of the "new" version WS467 (extended code capable), you could also create an extended code "group" (scene).  The new version modules were reported to support extended code group functions by Charles Sullivan : New WS467a Functions.  Using this function you could "group" units and turn them on using a single extended code command (advanced function within the macro).

I don't have any of the "newer" units, so I can't check this out.  Maybe someone else can assist?

Boiler

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:10:09 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

aslamma

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 04:26:19 PM »

So Boiler...shall we look at dimming?

I think that some of the techniques mentioned in this thread do a good job of addressing how to turn lights on and off in a quick fashion.  BUT, dimming is still "painfully" slow, especially for groups of lights in a macro.  Are there any particular techniques that would make dimming groups of lights quick?  I would like to be able to work with absolute brightness and relatively brightness. 

The major problem for me has been with macros that consist of brightening and dimming.  Since they are so slow, and I am not sure when they are complete, a subsequent trigger (for a different macro), may be unreliable.  This is because I may press the second macro before the first is finished.  Perhaps this has already been covered though?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:10:55 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

Boiler

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 06:21:48 PM »

So Boiler...shall we look at dimming?

I think that some of the techniques mentioned in this thread do a good job of addressing how to turn lights on and off in a quick fashion.  BUT, dimming is still "painfully" slow, especially for groups of lights in a macro.  Are there any particular techniques that would make dimming groups of lights quick?  I would like to be able to work with absolute brightness and relatively brightness. 

The major problem for me has been with macros that consist of brightening and dimming.  Since they are so slow, and I am not sure when they are complete, a subsequent trigger (for a different macro), may be unreliable.  This is because I may press the second macro before the first is finished.  Perhaps this has already been covered though?

Aslamma,

The following will only work if you have one of the "new version" WS467's that began to appear in '07.

These units include a feature called "Extended code direct dim".  By using an extended code command you can set them directly to a desired level.  While these commands are 31 bits long, they are still far quicker than the old dim/bright commands.

To check whether you units are compatible, re-identify you WS467 as a 2-way lamp module (download to the interface).  Move the bright/dim slider to 50% (not all the way on) and note whether you light responds.  If it does you have a extended code compatible WS467.

The graphic below shows how activity monitor displays the extended code transmission for a 51% dim command (using the LM14a 2-way lamp module interface).  If this works for you, re-try your macros and see if you notice an imprvement.

Boiler
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 05:25:01 PM by Boiler »

aslamma

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 10:23:11 PM »

Oh the irony.

Yes, I have the new modules and have done what you suggested Boiler.  It worked much better than the previous setup for brightening and dimming.  And, get this, I tried it without the insertion of the delay (previous approach was to use the delay in between modules)...and it worked great there as well!  So it appears that at least for now I can switch all the modules to the 2 way lamp module and not worry about incorporating the delays. 

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!  Working much much better now!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:12:02 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

Boiler

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 10:56:39 PM »

Aslamma,

Sorry, I should have asked about the Date code of your units earlier.  All of my units are old and do not have these "new" features.

You are correct that delays are not required when using the extended code communication.  This communication mode does not allow AHP to "stack" multiple unitcodes together.

If you are interested, Charles Sullivan put together a White paper on the capabilities of the newer units: Charles Sullivan's Heyu Site

One additional thing that I should mention - these units include a feature called "resume dim".  If a unit is dimmed to 50% and then turned "OFF", it will return to the 50% level when it receives the next "ON" command.  This drives a lot of people nuts (my Leviton units work the same way).

The extended code interface (LM14a 2-way) that you are using will bypass this feature by using the extended code command, UNLESS you issue a simple ON command.  AHP will not use extended codes for a simple on or 100% bright command.  You can get around this by using 99% bright in your macros rather than 100%.

Also, the extended codes only work with "absolute" bright/dim commands.  If you program a macro with relative dims (dim by xx%), AHP will use the old dim command set.

Happy Automating,
Boiler
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:12:27 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.