Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Project To Increase Range Of CM15A  (Read 259735 times)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
Re: Project To Increased Range CM15A
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 04:07:37 PM »

TakeTheActive, Thanks for the links.  ;D

TakeThe Active; Thanks for the data.

Thanks for the thanks (and possibly a 'Helpful' or two), but you 'core' guys aren't the audience that I'm attempting to contact - it's the 10 Guests / 3 Users (or 20 Guests / 6 Users).

I'd like to see a Newbie spend AT LEAST A DAY reading here *BEFORE* posting a question (just check a few of the current crop of Newbies and you'll see what I mean :( ). Then, when they read something 'Helpful', ACKNOWLEDGE IT!  :o

• -Bill- (of BXVC) spends a lot of his free time on BXVC and he's made several 'Helpful' posts, IMO. But, he was +0/-0 until I gave him his first 4 'Helpfuls'.  :(
  • JeffVolp is an extremely knowledgable fellow - (could *YOU* have designed XTB? ;) ) - yet he still only has the 2 'Helpfuls that I gave him.  ???
  • And the same, IMO, can be said about Charles Sullivan - although I don't claim to have read *ALL* of his 219 to-date posts, show me *ONE* that wasn't 'Helpful'. Give the man his credit due folks - he's an asset to this community.  :-*

[Enough of the boring "soapbox" - we now return you to your normally scheduled programming]
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 04:51:34 PM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 04:13:30 PM »

Gosh durn avatar gave my cover away, huh? :)

Or was it the "Tuicemen"? Did he squeal on me?  >:(

;D 8) ;D
Hey! I'd only do that if they asked! ;) :D ;D ::)(maybe!)
Your Posting style as well as your Avatar gave you away! ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 04:29:25 AM »

Gosh durn avatar gave my cover away, huh? :)

Or was it the "Tuicemen"? Did he squeal on me?  >:(

;D 8) ;D
Hey! I'd only do that if they asked! ;) :D ;D ::)(maybe!)
Your Posting style as well as your Avatar gave you away! ;) :D ;D

Hey "Tuicemen",

Do you have any idea who BLH and Otis05 are?  ???  ::)  ;)

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 07:29:43 AM »

Here is a quarter-wave antenna which I plan to build and see if I can increase my CM15A range:

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=126

By the way, the brass rods in the article can be purchased from a welding supply and came in 3-foot sections.  I bought 3/16" diameter as that was all that was available.  $6 a pound (about 12 three-foot sections)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2006, 05:55:07 PM »

Hey "Tuicemen",

Do you have any idea who BLH and Otis05 are?  ???  ::)  ;)
Should I? ???  ;)
They have both posted on ACCESSHA as well!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 07:23:21 PM »

Should I? ???  ;)
They have both posted on
ACCESSHA as well!

W W H H O O O O S S H H H H H H. . . . . . . . . .
That was the sound of my JOKE going right over your head! ::)  :P  ;D

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2006, 07:50:53 PM »

You Got the same responce they would have !
Should I? ??? ;)   
Had they Asked!
That was the sound of my JOKE going right over your head!     
Actualy it bounced off! Things don't sink in after a day at the plant telling robots what to do! ::)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

nklght

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2006, 12:38:46 AM »

I guess I am one of the lucky/ unlucky users of the CM15A.  When I first received my CM15A, I located it in a favorable location and could not get a majority of my remotes to work with it;  we had to stand in the right place and have the remote positioned just right in order to receive any response,  I was considering an antenna mod to be performed after the warranty expired.  While under warranty my unit just stopped working; after jumping through hoops, I received a new unit.  I plugged it in, configured, uploaded my timers and macros, and the first thing we noticed was that we did not have to be contortionist in order to use the remotes.  Two weeks ago I moved my office down to the basement and have not had an issue with the CM15A and range, I am now able to set up my motion sensors and have them work properly.  My little piece of advice is not to tamper with the unit while it is under warranty.  I consider myself a lucky user of the CM15A, because the unit totally failed and I was able to get a replacement unit which operated as promised and exceeded my expectations.  I am an unlucky user of the CM15A because I had to remove all my plug-in modules and operate everything manually, while going through tech support and waiting for the new unit.  Until actual spec sheets are provided for the CM15A, people are going into a crapshoot, and are unable to determine if the product is working properly, but is malfunctioning because of their setup, or if the unit is defective.  Like I said before, I was considering all sorts of fixes to cure the problems with my setup, but I was lucky because the unit completely failed, and with the new unit 99% of my problems were corrected.

robster

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2006, 08:33:57 PM »

I've been away from the Forum for a while.  I did this modification, except I used an FM antenna that you get with virtually any receiver these days.  I mounted it inside an upstairs interior wall while our new house was being built.  I have full coverage throughtout the entire 4400 sq ft house, plus in the yard within 30 feet of the house.  NOTES: I use line filters in front of all PCs and stereo equipment, and I bridged the phases with a 220-volt dryer plug-in.  I've had no reliability problems with this setup.

I'm currently using timers on a variety of lights, and just finished installing an automated outside waterfall feature and automated landscape lighting.  I use motion sensors to light up a translucent onyx sink and to light up my media room for about a minute when I walk in.  More to come as I find the time and imagination.

robster

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2006, 09:32:04 PM »

I've been away from the Forum for a while.  I did this modification, except I used an FM antenna that you get with virtually any receiver these days.  I mounted it inside an upstairs interior wall while our new house was being built.  I have full coverage throughtout the entire 4400 sq ft house, plus in the yard within 30 feet of the house.  NOTES: I use line filters in front of all PCs and stereo equipment, and I bridged the phases with a 220-volt dryer plug-in.  I've had no reliability problems with this setup.

I'm currently using timers on a variety of lights, and just finished installing an automated outside waterfall feature and automated landscape lighting.  I use motion sensors to light up a translucent onyx sink and to light up my media room for about a minute when I walk in.  More to come as I find the time and imagination.

robster

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooow... I like it I like it! say how did you connect it to the old antenna. Thanks

Tcj

robster

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Project To Increase Range Of CM15A
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006, 07:31:02 AM »

For full instructions on modding the antenna, please go to http://www.shed.com/tutor/CM15mods/CM15mods.html .  Outstanding instructions, plus helpful pictures.  My biggest change was this: instead of using a co-ax connector, I took the two antenna wires and put on spade ends, which I have hanging out of the CM15A by about an inch.  This way I can attach or unattach my antenna (great for moving the CM15A for tests).  As I said earlier, range is superb.  No problems at all. 

Oh, I recently added a motion detector in my home office so that when I walk into the home office the lights come on and stay on until I leave, then the lights go off after about five minutes.  Very handy.  Rob

SteveRF

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2006, 01:22:57 PM »

Well...I extended the range on my CM15A way last year by clipping the top of the existing antenna, soldering an extention "tiny insulated wire"  extending the total to about 19" and viola...great reception and at a cost of zip and no internal mod and Quick to do... The only problem still exists... The CM15a is still not "fast enough" and does not seem to have any store and forward capability so that 2 or more motion sensor signals arriving about the same time creates an ignore situation for one and u sit in a dark room for 5 to 10 seconds waiting for the signal to get processed from the next activation.... I simply cannot imagine some of these folks saying they have motion detectors all over a 3 to 4k square foot house and kids running around getting any good automation response from motion sensor activated programming...
... O well, I thought after sitting back for 6-8 months that a "new and improved" model would be available.
..darn...  guess the $$ are really the driving force.
SteveRF

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2006, 01:42:47 PM »

The CM15a is still not "fast enough" and does not seem to have any store and forward capability so that 2 or more motion sensor signals arriving about the same time creates an ignore situation
Due to the nature of the RF signal, more than one simultaneous transmissions results in an invalid X10 command being received. So it's not so much a speed issue as it is a method issue. [This is where a BIG concern exists for the security modules being easily jammed.]

guess the $$ are really the driving force.

GOOD, FAST, CHEAP.... pick two  ;)

nklght

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2006, 11:34:33 PM »

I checked out the link robster supplied, but all I recieved were a bunch of pics and none of the written material on how the fix was created.  I was curious if I did that fix can I physically move the location of the antenna, while leaving the CM15A in place.  Due to the addition of a newcomer in the family my office and the CM15A have been moved down to a corner in the basement.  We still recieve descent reception, but sometimes the same code has to be sent several times to get a response.  I was thinking of doing the f-connector mod to the CM15A, running coax rg-6 up 6 feet and over 10 feet, and then attaching it to an antenna in a wall which is in the middle of the house.  I don't see why this wouldn't work since coax is shielded, but the amount of resistance created could ruin the signal.  Any advice would be helpful.     

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2006, 12:07:32 AM »

nklght: What you want to do to extend the PC - CM15A distance will work. I have done the external antenna mod as well.

I use a 6' USB extender cable to connect my CM15A (on the main floor) to my PC (in the basement) which is fished up the wall. And I have my antenna connected to the CM15A with ~15' of coax, which is located approx. at the top / centre of my house. I get good reception from all my sensors & remotes.

As long as you use good coax cable & connections, you should be OK.

However, you should NOT USE RG-6. It is a 75 Ohm cable. Your signal will be degraded due to reflections since RF Antennas are generally 50 Ohms. So, use a 50 Ohm cable like RG-58. 75 Ohm Cables are mainly used for Cable / Satellite TV.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.