Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: garage door monitoring  (Read 7830 times)

george manu

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
garage door monitoring
« on: December 30, 2005, 02:23:10 PM »

I am trying to figure out the best way to
moniotr if my garage door was left open and
I am inside the house. Is there a way to
have one of the door/window sensors to be
mounted on the garage door it self and have
a chime or light inside the house to go on
or off whenever the garage door is open or
closed. Any ideas.
Thanx

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: garage door monitoring
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 10:05:35 AM »

The short answer is yes. I notice you haven't been active so I'll save my breath unless someone else is interested.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

gwr

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 06:03:43 PM »

I used Radio Shack closed circuit magnetic switches, like I use on my alarm system, and go through a 12 volt battery (D.C.) to turn on a flashing LED inside the house.  You will need a resistor to reduce voltage to what the LED requires.   

DEKE

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 06:34:48 PM »

You could also use a Powerflash module that is set to send an on or off command as a magnetic switch is activated by the door. To an X10 module inside the home with a light on it. gwr's is a simpler solution though.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 11:24:52 PM »

You could also use a Powerflash module that is set to send an on or off command as a magnetic switch is activated by the door. To an X10 module inside the home with a light on it. gwr's is a simpler solution though.
That depends on where you want the light to be and how much wire you have.  ;)
With the Powerflash module and a macro, you can have multiple lights flash in any pattern you like with out any extra wire or 12 volt battery. Of course I'm assuming he already has a few X10 switches and AH or AHP.
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 06:49:15 AM »

True all depends on the exact location and needs.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 08:09:02 AM »

In my opinion using the powerr flash module is the way to go. You could have the power flash turn on a 2 way lamp module. You then could create a macro that could be run from a keypad anywhere in the house. The macro could check the status of the 2 way lamp module and if on sound a chime. Several of the chime modules could be located throughout the house so that the status of the garage door could be checked from anywhere. This would sure be better than having to run down and check the status of the door just as you are getting ready to crawl into bed. I used a set up similar to this, at my old house, on a gate that went to a private yard. In addition to sounding a chime I had the macro turn on an outside light, camera and video recorder.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 09:00:52 AM »

I take it a step further and just have an auto closer that shuts the door for me.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 09:18:43 AM »

I take it a step further and just have an auto closer that shuts the door for me

I would do  that but with two small grandchildren running around I just don't want to  trust the built in safety devices of the garage door. I would rather see the garage door shut.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 09:34:21 AM »

I would do  that but with two small grandchildren running around I just don't want to  trust the built in safety devices of the garage door. I would rather see the garage door shut.
Good point! If I had little ones around, I might be a bit more cautious.

My closing is part of my welcome/exit and shutdown macros so I know when its going to close. Also the universal module beeps loud enough for me to duck.  ;)

Soapbox safety comment: I recommend everyone add a test of the garage door to the list of other things you test regularly. I keep a block of wood around to use for testing as well as waving my foot through the sensor.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.