Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2012 HA Smoke detector with modified DS10A transmiiter  (Read 27318 times)

eurosteve

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
2012 HA Smoke detector with modified DS10A transmiiter
« on: August 12, 2006, 09:50:11 AM »

I've always wanted to add a smoke detector to my X-10 system and today I came upon a company in Canada that is marketing the 2012 HA Smoke Detector along with a "modified" DS10A transmitter.  The modification changes the transmitter from "normally closed" to "normally open." 

Has anyone heard of this or had any experience with this?  I don't know how long this has been on the market.

Web address for this item is:  http://www.save-on-security.com/SMD-100_smoke_alarm.htm

Address for modified DS10A is: 
http://www.save-on-security.com/TT-100%20-%20Modified%20DS10A%20X-10%20Wireless%20Transmitter.htm

Any help with this appreciated

Steve

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: 2012 HA Smoke detector with modified DS10A transmiiter
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 09:58:37 AM »

...Web address for this item is:  http://www.save-on-security.com/SMD-100_smoke_alarm.htm...

"THIS SPECIAL SMOKE DETECTOR REQUIRES A 12 VOLT D.C. POWER SUPPLY.
IT WILL NOT FUNCTION WHEN THE POWER FAILS, &
WILL NOT ACTIVATE THE ALARM SYSTEM IF THE ALARM SYSTEM IS NOT ARMED."

Based on the above message, from your link, I would not make this your only smoke detector.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 10:01:00 AM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

eurosteve

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 10:05:45 AM »

I agree with you.  I have several regular, battery operated detectors in the house.  I'm thinking about this smoke alarm setup strictly to interface with the X-10 system and call me up if it smells smoke.  Getting the 12 volts to the detector would be a little bit of a challenge but hopefully is do-able.

I guess I'm looking for any opinions/ experience with this set-up.  I am not in a position to determine if this is really a workable set-up.

Thanks,

Steve

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 10:20:03 AM »

...Getting the 12 volts to the detector would be a little bit of a challenge but hopefully is do-able....
Do you have AC power nearby? The easiest way to power it would be with a small AC adaptor to convert line voltage to 12V DC. Still possibly a hassle but easier than anything else that comes to mind.
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

eurosteve

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 10:32:39 AM »

I guess this would be one of those small bricks that plugs into an AC outlet?  I'm probably going to have to run the 12 v line for some distance to get to the power source (20, 30 feet?).  As you know, the smoke detector has to be on the ceiling - so I'll have to run the 12 v line through the ceiling somehow...

Any ideas on this appreciated.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 10:38:48 AM »

I guess this would be one of those small bricks that plugs into an AC outlet?  I'm probably going to have to run the 12 v line for some distance to get to the power source (20, 30 feet?)...
You may already have an outlet in the attic. e.g. My furnace is plugged into one.
As you pointed out you will have to extend the wire a bit. Make should you maintain the correct polarity. Also step carefully.

eurosteve

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 10:43:05 AM »

Oh, good point.  I guess I can just run a wire straight up and plug it in in the attic...

For anyone interested in the specs on this smoke detector, they can be found here:

http://www.systemsensor.com/pdf/A05-0238.pdf

eurosteve

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 11:07:21 AM »

For anyone who's read this far..
I guess one potential problem with this set-up would be  - if the alarm went off, how would you know that it is a fire alarm vs a burglar alarm?  If I have a bunch of doors hooked up and a motion sensor and 2 smoke alarms - and the alarm was tripped and I wasn't home to see what's happening, is there a way to tell remotedly which zone was tripped or whether I had a burlgary or a fire on my hands?

Thanks,

Steve

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 01:09:55 AM »

...if the alarm went off, how would you know that it is a fire alarm vs a burglar alarm?...
Another drawback.
Hmm... Do I get the gun or the bucket?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.