Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do you turn off local control in an AM14A two way module?  (Read 9464 times)

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
How do you turn off local control in an AM14A two way module?
« on: August 12, 2006, 03:44:08 PM »

I have three different environmental control setups in my home that are operated by AHP macros in conjunction with one way X10 appliance modules and interfaced standard HVAC thermostats.  The one way modules have local control defeated, which I've found to be essential in any such environmental control scheme.  I would like to replace the one way appliance module in one of these setups with an AM14A-C two way module but can't do so until I find out how to defeat its local control function.  Does anyone know how to do this? The set up would be much more sophisticated with the two way module but won't work with local control turned on in the unit.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: How do you turn off local control in an AM14A two way module?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 01:14:39 PM »

Well the X10 sale got to me this weekend and I have a few on order. If we don't find an answer in an on line forum somewhere. I may disassemble one to see if and how to possibly do it.

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 01:49:58 PM »

I've taken one part to see if it any way resembles a regular appliance module.  It doesn't but there are two jumpers on the PC board like the one you clip in a regular appliance module to defeat local control. I haven't experimented with that yet so I'll let you make the first cuts.  I also emailed Israel, the source of the regular mod, to see if they'd tried it and they haven't.  My other searches didn't turn anything up which is why I started this thread on the forum.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 03:30:40 PM »

You trying to disable local control or actually removing the sensing current? The jumper in regular Appliance Module just stops local control sensing but the current is still there to tickle some loads.

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 03:43:38 PM »

Just trying to stop local control.  The tickle current is OK although there are situations where it would be nice to get rid of that too, although its not worth a lot of rewiring to do it.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 06:51:05 PM »

I may have the items in a few days. If X10 ships from their NJ warehouse to me in CT. It is a day or two.

phorce1

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 07:38:41 PM »

Where is a drawing for getting rid of the trickle current? I did the local control disable mod on an AM486 but the trickle current made that a waste of effort as it still flickered the fluorescent light I wanted to control unless I used the 7-watt bulb trick.

Gerald

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 04:58:06 PM »

I will look and see if I can find it. I know that some of the web based schematics on the AM486 do not match mine in the local sensing circuit area. I finally drew my own.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.