Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Automate home lights with computer and remote  (Read 4482 times)

netvampire

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Automate home lights with computer and remote
« on: September 02, 2006, 04:38:28 PM »

Hello, i am new to the forum. I tried looking back a bit to find the info I need but was unsuccessful.

What i want to accomplish is to have my entire house lights (not lamps, but ceiling lights) to be controlled via computer and remote control. How can i accomplish this.  What hardware do I need, and how much would it cost me. I have about 10 lights that I would like to control. What software would be best for this as well. Thanks

Thank You.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Automate home lights with computer and remote
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 06:54:15 PM »

Fiirstly, you need the Active Home Pro package, which includes the software and the CM15A USB interface unit.  You will aso have to order X10 wall switches for each ceiling light you want to control. plus other X10 modules you find out you might need.

Go to http://www.x10.com/activehomepro/activehome-pro.html to find out and order the Active Home Pro package, plus go to http://www.x10.com/homepage2.htm?|x10welcomeab2 for anything X10 that you need.

Good Luck!!! 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 11:50:52 PM »

netvampire:
In general you'll probably need the following components.  Prices are rough estimates of "street" prices.
- - - - -
  Computer interface:  ActiveHome Pro CM15A ($50)  or possibly the old ActiveHome CM11A ($10-$30).  You may be happier with the newer and fancier CM15A.

Plug-in Lamp Modules, e.g.  X-10 LM465  ($10)

Wall switch dimmer modules:  X-10 WS467 ($10), or more mechanically-rugged models (about $30)  (Go for the more rugged models for switches that will be frequently operated manually - the WS467 are reported to have problems with the push-button wearing out.  Or just take your chances with the WS467 and replace when/if you have a problem).  There is also the WS4777 if you want to replace any 3-way wall switches in your house.

Passive phase coupler: ($20 for a model from Smarthome that will plug into an electric clothes dryer socket.)  However you may find you need a coupler/repeater ($80) if you have a big house.

Transceiver - for whole house operation you'll probably need an X-10 TM751 ($12) or X-10 RR501 ($20), or possibly even a WGL V572A  All-Housecode Transceiver ($80) if you have a very big house.  Although the ActiveHome Pro CM15A has an all-housecode  transceiver function, it's not noted for its RF receiving range.  The TM751 and RR501 are limited to a single housecode (16 units).

Remote controls, e.g., X-10 HR12A ($4-$20)   (One or more depending on your preference.)

Optional plug-in table-top controllers, e.g., X-10 MiniController ($12) or MaxiController ($20) (Good to have at least one of these on hand.)

Possible X10 Noise Filters ($10-$15) for appliances with switching power supplies like TV, UPS which may generate noise or act as an X10 signal sink on the power line.
- - - - - - -
 X-10 runs frequent sales with very good prices on bundles and kits, and  3-for-1 to 6-for-1 sales.  Otherwise check the X10 stores operated by small authorized X-10 dealers on eBay who are selling new parts.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

netvampire

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 11:55:49 AM »

Thank you both for very informative and helpful replies. I really appreciate the help. You answered my question perfectly.

netvampire

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 12:10:09 PM »

i also noticed a CM19A transmiter... and that is capable of doing wireless osmething or other.... Is it worth it to invest in just incase i wanted to expand my home automation soultino in the future. and does it provide the same functionality as the CM15A transmitter. thanks

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 12:39:52 PM »

i also noticed a CM19A transmiter... and that is capable of doing wireless osmething or other.... Is it worth it to invest in just incase i wanted to expand my home automation soultino in the future. and does it provide the same functionality as the CM15A transmitter. thanks

The CM19A is an RF receiver and transmitter generally used with X-10's camera and entertainment products.  I'd hold off because a CM19A is usually bundled with the kits that require it.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

netvampire

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 02:29:11 PM »

thanks for the response

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.