Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fade  (Read 4449 times)

dipdog

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Fade
« on: August 21, 2006, 09:35:24 AM »

Is there an x10 compatible software that will allow you to fade a light in and out gradually over several minutes? 
Also, it's been a while since I've checked up on x10, but have they come up with a way to gradually fade on a light that is currently off without first turning it on to 100 percent (I recall that you could dim down a light that was turned on but you couldn't dim up a light that was turned off).
Thanx
- Scott
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 09:37:43 AM by dipdog »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Fade
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 12:24:24 PM »

FWIW
Standard X10 modules still require a 100% start up  and can then dim down. Smarthome.com has modules which will come ON at the same level they were turned OFF at. X10 2-way lamp modules have a soft start and I believe the ramp time can be adjusted. And as always, one can use the AHP or other software to dim a lamp to 0% to extinguish it, then use AHP to brighten it when you want to turn the lamp on.

AHP macros will allow you to brighten a lamp over several minutes, by sending one BRI command at a time, over several minutes.

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dipdog

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 02:53:54 PM »

Thanx for your reply.  I found the smarthome switches you were talking about.  In fact, if anyone's interested, this link is a good chart of switches and shows which ones have soft-start and which don't

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Common/switchguide/smart_switch_selection_guide1.htm

I was wondering if you could clarify the last comment that you made, though.  Did you mean you can dim a lamp to "0%" to extinguish, and then use AHP to dim back up.  Or did you mean to dim the lamp to "1%" to extinguish, and then dim it back up.  I've heard of turning the lamp "off" at 1% and then dimming back up.  Haven't tried it because I was worried about possible electrical hazard and energy use.  But I haven't heard anything about dimming to 0%, and then dimming back up.

Appreciate your help.
- Scott

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 01:25:00 PM »

dipdog

I have not used AHP in a while, I am using Homeseer now, so I may be confusing the levels I can dim a light to (0% OR 1%). 

I have several lights which I want to go from "dark" to some level of dim when triggered by a motion detection. Example is rope lights hidden under a bed, and bathroom lights coming ON at a very, very, low level when making a late night bathroom run (57 year old prostate...need I say more?)

In AHP, I believe I dimmed the lights to 0% or 1% and let them idle at that level until motion is detected. This level maintains a minimum current through the Lamp Module triac, but the lights are completely dark. When motion is detected, AHP brightens the lights to 30%. In AHP you must use the "relative" Bri/Dim levels in your macros.

I have been using this "dim to 0" technique since 1988 and have never had a problem. The lamp modules are barely conducting so there is negligable "hazard". Technically the module and lights would consume slightly more power than if turned OFF.

Does this clarify anything?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dipdog

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 02:31:36 PM »

Yes, it does.  Thank you very much for your help! 

And I like your ideas with the motion detectors and rope lights.  Now I have something else to drive my wife nuts with :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.