Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: x10 System Purchase Questions: 3 Units Which One  (Read 7237 times)

pcbugdoc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
    • PC Bug Doc
x10 System Purchase Questions: 3 Units Which One
« on: August 17, 2006, 07:33:22 AM »

Sorry, I'm a long time lurker and just decided I might as well join you all. :) I have a customer/friend who saw my security and automation system and decided he wanted one too. I told him of the three affordable options and briefly covered a few possible limitations or problems he may experience.

He is leaning towards the Radioshack 49-1000 just for the fact of return/replacement to the local store vs RMA and shipping costs. I figured, I'd post just to get feedback from more experienced individuals regarding three of the widely affordable units... He's only looking for a $100 or less starter system to get going.

1. Radioshack 49-1000 (Has the siren issue been resolved?) RS 49-1000 kit does not include a lamp module at $99?
2. Pro2000 (any probs or pitfals?)
3. Protector Plus (any probs or pitfals?)

From the three options which is the most bang for the buck, so to speak. I've read many posts but it's a little hard to figure out what's what and what really is decent, since there's a lot of bashing and then it works, then it's bad, etc.. I'd like to see what you'd purchase if you were starting over... He's on a budget so it's likely one of the three options for us. Based on that you recommend and why?

I'm a techie but not a complete security/automation guru but have no issues with setup, macros, etc... But when it comes to equipment choices it takes me forever to decide and I have to spreedsheet it and compare it, etc. then find the best deal and all that before I make a purchase. I know. I know.  ::)

TIA

« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 08:30:06 AM by pcbugdoc »
X10 Contractor - Washington
http://www.pcbugdoc.com <-- X10 & X10 Pro Sales & Service!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: x10 System Purchase Questions: 3 Units Which One
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 07:52:17 AM »

...when it comes to equipment choices it takes me forever to decide...
I'm kinda the same way. It may take me awhile to make a decision. However, after I decide, I want it yesterday.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 11:33:09 AM »

All of these have idiosyncrasies.

Radioshack 49-1000 $99.99
 1 Security console
2 Door/window sensor
1 Motion detector
1 Keychain remote control

Note: The Radio Shack equipment is made by X10. They are also discontinuing these products.

X-10 PRO2000Monitored Security System Value Pack $79.99
1 Door/Window Sensor
1 Security Keychain Remote
1 Security Motion Detector
1 16 ZONE WIRELESS WALL MOUNT SECURITY SYSTEM (PRO2000)
1 Home Security Decal - Window Sticker
1 Security Surveillance Window/Yard Sign

Note: This is a MONITORED system.
Proware 2000 Software (951KB) (Distributed AS-IS. There is no support for this program!)
The window sticker and yard sign is a dead giveaway as to what system you have. Don't use EM !

Protector Plus   $99.99
1 Lamp Module
2 Door/Window Sensor
1 Security/Motion Sensor
1 Security Remote Control
1 Voice Dialer Console
1 Keychain Remote

Note: For X10 manufactured products this is the most current that I know about.
This is also, the most Bang for the Buck system of the 3.
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 09:44:33 PM »

Sorry, I'm a long time lurker and just decided I might as well join you all. :) I have a customer/friend who saw my security and automation system and decided he wanted one too. I told him of the three affordable options and briefly covered a few possible limitations or problems he may experience.

He is leaning towards the Radioshack 49-1000 just for the fact of return/replacement to the local store vs RMA and shipping costs. I figured, I'd post just to get feedback from more experienced individuals regarding three of the widely affordable units... He's only looking for a $100 or less starter system to get going.

1. Radioshack 49-1000 (Has the siren issue been resolved?) RS 49-1000 kit does not include a lamp module at $99?
2. Pro2000 (any probs or pitfals?)
3. Protector Plus (any probs or pitfals?)

From the three options which is the most bang for the buck, so to speak. I've read many posts but it's a little hard to figure out what's what and what really is decent, since there's a lot of bashing and then it works, then it's bad, etc.. I'd like to see what you'd purchase if you were starting over... He's on a budget so it's likely one of the three options for us. Based on that you recommend and why?

I'm a techie but not a complete security/automation guru but have no issues with setup, macros, etc... But when it comes to equipment choices it takes me forever to decide and I have to spreedsheet it and compare it, etc. then find the best deal and all that before I make a purchase. I know. I know.  ::)

TIA

Actually I'm considering the Pro 2000 as was pointed out though this is for professional monitoring only it can not be programed to call individual numbers. Although this might still  be a good deal found a monitoring company that been around 20 years and only runs 8.95 a month! So while I'm working on completing my new DSC security system I'm considering this one as an option. Just waiting for a response to my post as to what communications parameters it supports by the way that monitoring company now even supports Voice Over IP.

Tcj
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 09:20:49 PM by tom j »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 11:16:16 PM »

....found a monitoring company that been around 20 years and only runs 8.95 a month!...
There's something to be said for having a good monitoring company to run interference for you contacting police and fire. Also being able to let you know the zone that triggered the alarm.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

pcbugdoc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
    • PC Bug Doc
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 08:06:47 PM »

Thanks everyone for your responses, I got tied up with work and just got back to check this thread...

1. Just curious as to why the Radioshack unit has 32 zone capability and the Pro2000 and protector plus each have only 16 zones?
2. Is the discontinued Radioshack unit going to be replaced by some new X10 model, does anyone know? I noticed that my local rs has a number of X10 compatible items on clearance, but not the unit, should I snag them up for future installations? Like the mini-controller is only $2.97.
3. The Pro2000 is strictly monitored by a third-party provider? I noticed by reading and searching it (pro2000) lacks the voice dialer but it can be added on by using Personal Assistance Console with Voice Diale PA5800-SC of course for another $50. Just curious to why X10 in their marketing uses "Step Up" to the pro2000. I got caught in their hype that it was more of a unit.
4. Also, any addon's modules that I should be avoiding as I get started doing x10 installs in my area?

Again, thank you all!
X10 Contractor - Washington
http://www.pcbugdoc.com <-- X10 & X10 Pro Sales & Service!

tom j

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 09:28:06 PM »

Thanks everyone for your responses, I got tied up with work and just got back to check this thread...

1. Just curious as to why the Radioshack unit has 32 zone capability and the Pro2000 and protector plus each have only 16 zones?
2. Is the discontinued Radioshack unit going to be replaced by some new X10 model, does anyone know? I noticed that my local rs has a number of X10 compatible items on clearance, but not the unit, should I snag them up for future installations? Like the mini-controller is only $2.97.
3. The Pro2000 is strictly monitored by a third-party provider? I noticed by reading and searching it (pro2000) lacks the voice dialer but it can be added on by using Personal Assistance Console with Voice Diale PA5800-SC of course for another $50. Just curious to why X10 in their marketing uses "Step Up" to the pro2000. I got caught in their hype that it was more of a unit.
4. Also, any addon's modules that I should be avoiding as I get started doing x10 installs in my area?

Again, thank you all!

After speaking to Ocra x10 monitoring company I was informed that the Pro 2000 was designed to work with any monitoring company but to set it up you need what he called Pro-wear software so I'm still waiting to hear back from x10 to make sure the software is included or can at least be downloaded can't be programed with the correct communication parameters without it.

Tcj

tom j

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 11:03:59 PM »

Well x10 finally got back and gave me links for a pdf file and the Prowear software. The link to the software is below I think it's a little more involved then x10 has let on. Seems like you configure this thing by using a external modem to connect the RJ11 port on the dialer to the COM port on your PC. Hoping someone else has time to take a look, the link for the pdf file is below if anyone is interested I can also post the link for the actual software.

Tcj

http://www.x10pro.com/pro/soft/proware2000.pdf
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 09:51:41 PM by tom j »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.