Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Extend wire on hard wired camera  (Read 65875 times)

Jumpmaster

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Extend wire on hard wired camera
« on: August 18, 2006, 05:03:13 PM »

In regards to the SC16 A Hard Wired Camera, I wanted to extend my cable length.  I used 6 wire cable with RJ11E connectors on both ends.  Works great.  Also if you buy this cable and want to add to it, you can use the RJllE Modular adapters.  I find this camera better than having to use the wireless cameras.  No hassel with antenna and sender range and reception.  Im going to try out a piece of 150 foot wire and see if it works as well.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Extend wire on hard wired camera
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 06:06:52 PM »

Thanks for that data. One thing that may have to be checked on the extension cable. Some are wired crossed some straight though. So one may have to watch for that.

Jumpmaster

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 08:33:43 PM »

In my opinion, if you use the right connector, you will not have that problem.  At leaset I never had that problem during several camera installations (of another mfg).  Also I tried this tonight and worked well.  Using the mentioned camera, I ran 300 feet of this wire in one continuous run and it worked great.  Hooked the cameras up to a sequencing device and was also satisfied with that.
So, the wired cameras, extended wire runs and the sequencing device is the way to go.  My sequencing device will take up to 10 cameras and one spot camera

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 06:12:08 AM »

True; Just that some may go to the Local Radio Shack. Buy a crimper; wire and some connectors and mix up the wire order; as you can crimp the connector with the wires either way. Not a show stopper just someting to watch out for.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 11:39:15 PM »

I read (somewhere) that X10 has used CAT5 wire with the RJ11E connector crimped on each end in TESTS to 1000 feet. I extended one cam with a 50 foot six wire phone cable from walmart (about 6 bucks).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 05:21:33 PM »

In regards to the SC16 A Hard Wired Camera, I wanted to extend my cable length.  I used 6 wire cable with RJ11E connectors on both ends.  Works great.  Also if you buy this cable and want to add to it, you can use the RJllE Modular adapters.  I find this camera better than having to use the wireless cameras.  No hassel with antenna and sender range and reception.  Im going to try out a piece of 150 foot wire and see if it works as well.

Say great info gota give ya a point for that one! one thing what's "6 wire" that can't be the gauge of the wire? And I'm a little confused on this "Some are wired crossed some straight though. So one may have to watch for that" could someone please explain. Thanks!!!

Tom j

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 08:19:09 PM »

Jumpmaster I believe, is referring to extending a hardwired camera (with ether a phone extention cord or) using phone wire and a connector tool purchased at a home improvement store. I have also used CAT5 (for computer connections) with the six wire phone connectors to extend hardwired cameras.

When using pre-made phone extention cords: some of the cords reverse the order of the wires.

Jumpmaster

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 08:10:41 PM »

Sorry for the delay have not been on site for awhile.  What I was making reference to is 6 strands of wire secured by an outer rather strong sheath.  I have several rolls, in 25' 50' and 100' sections.  They come with the telephone type connectors.  If I want to increase a cable lenght I just use a connector in between.

tom j

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 02:48:03 PM »

Jumpmaster I believe, is referring to extending a hardwired camera (with ether a phone extention cord or) using phone wire and a connector tool purchased at a home improvement store. I have also used CAT5 (for computer connections) with the six wire phone connectors to extend hardwired cameras.

When using pre-made phone extention cords: some of the cords reverse the order of the wires.

Got ya! does everyone agree if so I can do that! Thanks Dave!!!! got to give you a point for that one!

Tom j

tom j

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 09:11:04 PM »

Sorry for the delay have not been on site for awhile.  What I was making reference to is 6 strands of wire secured by an outer rather strong sheath.  I have several rolls, in 25' 50' and 100' sections.  They come with the telephone type connectors.  If I want to increase a cable lenght I just use a connector in between.

Hi Jumpmaster just saw your post thanks, is this in fact phone extension cord, were do i get it and what would I ask for.

Tom j

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 05:50:41 AM »

Quote from:
were do i get it and what would I ask for.

Tom,
 I just got 250 feet of 6 conductor cable and connectors in the electrical section of my nearest Home Depot. I would think that most home improvement stores will have what you need.

If you want to make your own cables you will need 6 conductor wire, connectors and a crimping tool. If you plan on extending more than one camera it is probably cheaper to make your own cables rather than buying them pre-assembled. Making your own also gives you the flexability of making them the exact length you need. It is also easier to pull the wire through tight places without the connectors installed.

As Brian H stated in an earlier post be carefull to wire them correctly.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 05:52:24 AM by JimC »
_ _ ...  ..._ _

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 05:52:13 PM »

If you want to make your own cables you will need 6 conductor wire, connectors and a crimping tool. If you plan on extending more than one camera it is probably cheaper to make your own cables rather than buying them pre-assembled.

I bought a crimping tool that does both phone and ethernet connectors. I wish I had bought it years ago!

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 06:56:39 PM »

I bought a crimping tool that does both phone and ethernet connectors. I wish I had bought it years ago!

Take a close look at the tool though... My first one only crimped the 4 terminal plugs even though the plastic plug was the same. (Only had 4 blades and not 6). My current one crimps everything, cuts, stripes, dices, chops, slices and makes fries.

If you make your own extension cable with 2 male plugs, watch the wire order in the plug like mentioned above. With the tabs of the plugs facing up the wire order would be reversed on one of the plugs to make it a straight feed through cable when using an end to end coupler.

----------------KDR
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 07:06:43 PM by KDR »
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

tom j

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 06:37:54 PM »

Quote: Tom,  I just got 250 feet of 6 conductor cable and connectors in the electrical section of my nearest Home Depot. I would think that most home improvement stores will have what you need. If you want to make your own cables you will need 6 conductor wire, connectors and a crimping tool. If you plan on extending more than one camera it is probably cheaper to make your own cables rather than buying them pre-assembled. Making your own also gives you the flexability of making them the exact length you need. It is also easier to pull the wire through tight places without the connectors installed.

As Brian H stated in an earlier post be carefull to wire them correctly.

Quote: As Brian H stated in an earlier post be carefull to wire them correctly.

Now this is the part I'm still confused about could you please go very that part one more time think I got everything else. One other think just brought one out seems like it should be pretty straight forward say how much are those crimping tools also guys found this DVR you add your own hard drive to think I'll get one whata' you think about this DVR?? if you do a Google search you're find even more for around the same price with more/less features. Curious what you guys think about it, looking forward to your feedback!!

Tom j

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Standalone-DVR-MPEG4-Network/dp/B000OWHQK6/ref=pd_ybh_9/002-8430000-0312010?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=00AC4Y5AV89FGQEJHBCH&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_i=ybh

« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 09:53:01 PM by tom j »

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 07:09:35 PM »

Here's a pic showing the wrong and correct ways to wire the plug ends. The plugs are all shown referencing the clip part of the plug facing up.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.