Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Phase coupler question (pics inside)  (Read 31815 times)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Phase coupler question (pics inside)
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2006, 08:16:55 PM »

You may want to have a local electrician take a look at things.... ...I'm not sure where you live and what local codes are for your location but what you have would not pass code here...
KDR has a very good point.
At the time the sub box was installed, it might of met code. From what others have said, it might not meet code if wired that way now. In my understanding, new wiring must meet current code. Even if to box meet code when it was installed, hard wiring a phase coupler to it now may not based on current code.
Byte the bullet and have an electrician look at it.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2006, 08:45:02 PM »

There are other violations in the main box if it were here in Cleveland and in a home that was being inspected for the purpose of selling. But thats here. We (me) are not trying to scare you and what you have may pass local code. Thats why someone local and not over the internet needs a peek at it.

You have a black wire connected to the neutral lugs, a white wire to one of the breakers, neither are marked to indicate what they are, indicating color change, two circuits are doubled up (acceptable) in most cases. An arc or what looks to be a burnt mark on the right edge of the main box itself. That probably made someone jump when they did that  :D  That tells me that the box must have a ground. If the ground is through the conduit that wouldn't pass here but on older homes may be OK. If you added new to the box it might not pass today. If the box is grounded it doesn't look like the the neutral bars are bonded to the box, that may be OK for your local code. The Bonding debate is as mysterious as X10 itself.

Bottom line as far as code goes... its up to local code. The requirements can be way off of what national code is. Local authorities have final say.  I installed 5 metal outlet boxes once for a home owner/friend. They made the inspector mad by raising hell and telling him he had to be out there to inspect the rough wiring right then and there. He walked in and pointed to 2 boxes, said they had to be plastic and walked out. Said call him when the violations where fixed. (thanks buddy!)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 08:50:43 PM by KDR »
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

steingra

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2006, 01:58:17 AM »

SmartHome has this coupler. They may also have one that boosts the signal.
Note the diagram with the proper way to install it.

I also noticed this one: http://www.smarthome.com/4826a.htm
I found that we have one and possibly a second 220 outlet. The dryer is plugged into one, and the stove might have a 220 outlet.
I will have to check it tommorrow morning.

Anyway, if I end up needing a SignaLinc™ Plug-in Coupler-Repeater, could that end up causing more noise on the powergrid?  I cant remember which device(s) can actually amplify the noise.  I would think the SignaLinc™ Plug-in Coupler-Repeater is not going to make noisy lines, nosier...but I am not sure. So I was hoping someone can let me know about that.

Thanks

Rocket J Squirrel

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2006, 05:05:47 PM »

Anyway, if I end up needing a SignaLinc™ Plug-in Coupler-Repeater, could that end up causing more noise on the powergrid?  I cant remember which device(s) can actually amplify the noise.  I would think the SignaLinc™ Plug-in Coupler-Repeater is not going to make noisy lines, nosier...but I am not sure. So I was hoping someone can let me know about that.
In my experience, the coupler-repeater does not propagate noise. It can tell signal from noise.

When it repeats a signal, you can watch the red LED indicate reception of the signal and the green LED indicate retransmission of the signal. Very often, its red LED blinks with no response from the green LED. I interpret this to mean the repeater is seeing noise but not retransmitting it.

crussell

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2006, 03:00:31 AM »

Here's and odd ball thought...
If there is 0% signal blead in the current wiring across phases, you could use AHP with (2) trasnponders and create macros to bridge the house codes, this would just cause a delay and limit you to usage of half the house codes on each leg....

For example in room 1, put all the all the x10 items on leg A on house code A, all the items on leg B on house code B.  When the interface receives a command on house code A have it run a macro to generate a command to resend it on house code B.  The other Transponder will receive the wireless command and devices will react to it.  If you are using a wireless remote set to House code A, the Transponder on B may receive the signals, but will ignore them because it does not have any devices on house code B.

I have played with this only on a small scale, using 100% isolated circuits so their was no blead from leg to leg (Actually I was using this to turn on my neighbors lites while he was out from my house...to lazy to walk next door and go room to room...) so probably not the solution if you have a lot of devices.  But it could work in a very simple setup...

Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.