Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lamp Module Works Sporadically.  (Read 7878 times)

kajoyce65

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
Lamp Module Works Sporadically.
« on: April 22, 2007, 07:14:59 PM »

I keep having an issue trying to turn on a lamp using a remote that is plugged into a lamp module. The same outlet has a siren and that seems to work fine but the lamp module works infrequently.

Should these be set to different codes? Any suggestions for determining why the lamp module is not working? I sent an email to Tech Support but no one ever responded.

Thanks

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Lamp Module Works Sporadically.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 08:37:04 PM »

I keep having an issue trying to turn on a lamp using a remote that is plugged into a lamp module. The same outlet has a siren and that seems to work fine but the lamp module works infrequently.

Ok.... lets look at whats NOT the same. Is the lamp using a different transceiver? Or are you operating both the lamp and the siren through through the security module? Are you using the same remote for both?

Should these be set to different codes? Any suggestions for determining why the lamp module is not working? I sent an email to Tech Support but no one ever responded.

House codes can be the same ....no problem.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 10:39:47 PM »

I keep having an issue trying to turn on a lamp using a remote that is plugged into a lamp module.

It is possible you might have some signal strength or noise issues.

Does the lamp use a compact fluorescent bulb?  Does the lamp module work properly if you move it closer to the transmitter?

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

kajoyce65

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 08:47:51 AM »

Hi Jeff and Dave,

Thanks for the responses. The lamp is a incandescent bulb.  The lamp and the siren are both being controlled from the same remote ( the siren works if I press the lamp on 2 or 3 times) The lamp doesn't turn on when I press the lamp on button.

It was working fine then stopped working consistently. It does work some times but not most of the time. Might be a coincidence but if I unplug the lamp module for a few seconds and plug it in the lamp will turn on with the remote but may not turn off with the remote.

I'm new to the X10 configuration but I am not sure if the problem is me or the set up.

Thanks for the help.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 08:53:43 AM »

X10 is an old technology that can be affected by the various noise sources and "signals suckers" that populate a typical electrical system nowadays.  I have been writing a troubleshooting series that may help:

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

X10 can achieve virtually 100% reliability, but it can take some work.

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:34:33 PM by JeffVolp »

kajoyce65

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 07:14:25 PM »

Thanks Jeff I'll take a look.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 08:13:20 PM »

Do you have another lamp module that you can substitute for the suspect one and see if maybe the module itself is failing?
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 09:01:11 PM »

It was working fine then stopped working consistently. It does work some times but not most of the time. Might be a coincidence but if I unplug the lamp module for a few seconds and plug it in the lamp will turn on with the remote but may not turn off with the remote.

I can't think of any reason (outside of a bad module) that UN-plugging would change... for better OR worse (unless of course... the lamp is a touch to dim type lamp).  I am with Bill, if you have another module (even an appliance module) trying that may help.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

kajoyce65

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 06:41:16 PM »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have isolated the issue. The issue seems to be related to the new front lights I installed on the outside of the house. When I turn off the switch for the lights everything works perfectly. The outside lights are fluorescent photosensor.

I tried several different outlets but they all seemed to have the same issue. Again if I turned off the outside light the out with the lamp module works fine.

Is there any way to prevent the outside lights from causing a problem with the X10 lamp module?

Thanks

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 07:02:40 PM »

...The issue seems to be related to the new front lights I installed on the outside of the house. When I turn off the switch for the lights everything works perfectly. The outside lights are fluorescent photosensor...

...Is there any way to prevent the outside lights from causing a problem with the X10 lamp module?

:(
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:15:42 PM by JeffVolp »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

kajoyce65

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 08:23:27 AM »

OK   I have looked through the information and done some research. I think I have come up with a solution for the noise but just want to confirm if you think it will solve my issue and if there are any drawbacks in going this route.

I am thinking about purchasing a X10 XPNR NOISE REDUCER and installing it between the switch and the light that is generating the noise. I was thinking of going this route since it seems to be the easiest solution and I can't easily access the circuit that the light is on.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 09:45:02 AM »

I am thinking about purchasing a X10 XPNR NOISE REDUCER and installing it between the switch and the light that is generating the noise.

A much better choice is the small Leviton 6287 filter between your switch and the offending CFLs.  It costs a bit more, but it works.  We installed them here in every circuit that feeds ceiling cans with CFLs.

Jeff

kajoyce65

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 12:34:39 PM »

Hi Jeff, 

Thanks for the information. I saw those in your article and was doing some research on them. I am concerned that they may not fit in the electrical box with the switch based on the size of the 6287. I have a standard 2 switch plastic electrical box and want to make sure whatever I purchase fits in the box.

Are you saying the XPNR's don't work or the 6287 is better.

Thanks again.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 01:19:30 PM »

They do different things.  The XPNR / Leviton 6289 attenuates "out-of-band" noise.  That helps with things like arcing brushes in universal motors.  The XPNR is designed to pass "in-band" signals.  Unfortunately, the high frequency chopper in some CFLs runs around the X10 carrier frequency.  That is why they cause so much trouble for X10 signals.  See my tutorial on CFLs.

The 6287 is designed to block "in-band" signals, which causes most of the trouble from CFLs.  It will also isolate signal suckers.  So they are the correct choice for this application.  The 6287 is pretty small - about 1.5 inches by 2 inches, and maybe 3/4 inch thick.  It fits just fine behind an X10 switch in a deep electrical box.  If you don't have room, you can wire it in at the offending light fixture.  Just be sure to connect it in series so it blocks any noise from reaching the powerline.

Jeff

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.