Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Heyu 2.0 scripts - lets see some!  (Read 46999 times)

jibs

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Heyu 2.0 scripts - lets see some!
« on: August 30, 2006, 05:38:49 AM »

I recently switched from Activehome to the new version of Heyu 2.0.  I love Heyu!   

I am looking for some scripts that I would be able to modify and plug into my x10 config file.  Looking to get ideas and to see what other people are doing.  I'll start off with a simple one I am using...

#If there is motion on my front porch after dark then turn the front porch light for a specified number of seconds  and email me. 
#If there is motion during the day, just email me
SCRIPT  frontdoormotion on :: (($X10_isDarkTime)) && heyu turn frontporch on; heyu pause 60; heyu turn frontporch off; echo "Someone is at the front door" | mail -s "Front Door Motion Sensor" myemail@gmail.com

Now lets see some more!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Heyu 2.0 scripts - lets see some!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 09:32:20 AM »

I recently switched from Activehome to the new version of Heyu 2.0.  I love Heyu!   

I am looking for some scripts that I would be able to modify and plug into my x10 config file.  Looking to get ideas and to see what other people are doing.  I'll start off with a simple one I am using...

#If there is motion on my front porch after dark then turn the front porch light for a specified number of seconds  and email me. 
#If there is motion during the day, just email me
SCRIPT  frontdoormotion on :: (($X10_isDarkTime)) && heyu turn frontporch on; heyu pause 60; heyu turn frontporch off; echo "Someone is at the front door" | mail -s "Front Door Motion Sensor" myemail@gmail.com

Now lets see some more!

Everyone: FYI, Heyu is a free and open-source program for controlling the CM11A which runs under Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X.  See http://www.heyu.org for details if interested.

jibs:
This forum is not the best place to pose questions like this.  (I'm not sure there are any Heyu users other than myself who come here.)
Posting to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/heyu_users will assure you of a larger readership base of knowledgeable Heyu users.

But regarding your script command line: You'll need to reverse the order of the statements for it to work as intended during the daytime, i.e., send the email first before checking whether it's dark.

There are a couple of other issues you may want to consider.  Since these will be of interest to other Heyu users as well, repost your query to the above-mentioned heyu_users forum and we'll discuss them there.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

jibs

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 10:17:34 PM »

I figured this wasn't the best place, but thought I would test the waters.  I actually applied to join the group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/heyu_users a few days ago but have not been accepted yet  :(

Actually the script works as intended - turning the lights on AND emailing at night - and ONLY emailing during the day. 

I am supposing there may be an issue with "heyu pause 60"?  I am learning.  I am just excited to find something that is full featured, works with the cm11a and is FREE! ;D

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 03:04:26 AM »

I figured this wasn't the best place, but thought I would test the waters.  I actually applied to join the group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/heyu_users a few days ago but have not been accepted yet  :(

Yahoo groups software gets annoyingly slow at times, but "a few days" is outrageous.   Maybe we ought to move here. :-)

Actually the script works as intended - turning the lights on AND emailing at night - and ONLY emailing during the day.

You're right - I misinterpreted.  Sorry.

I am supposing there may be an issue with "heyu pause 60"?  I am learning.  I am just excited to find something that is full featured, works with the cm11a and is FREE! ;D

No, there's no problem with "heyu pause 60", although as a shell command you could as well have used just "sleep 60".  The reason for having the Heyu pause command is to allow you to include it in multi-command SCENE and USERSYN (user defined synonym) definitions.

A lot of the Heyu scripts I use are intended to alert me that something has gone wrong and/or correct the situation, e.g., a momentary AC power  failure has occurred and all my night lights are off, or one of my 2-way modules has quit responding, or my CM11A clock has drifted out of an acceptible range.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

jibs

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 06:30:03 AM »

Thanks for the reply Charles!  It seems to me that "heyu pause 60" keeps heyu busy for a minute, so if something else happens that needs heyu's attention its busy.  Is that right?

Also, is it just me or does "bluelava" web interface not work with Heyu 2.0?

Thanks!
Jason

phorce1

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 10:45:07 AM »

Rather than moving here if the heyu_users are used to an email style list with a searchable archive whoever is the "maintainer" may want to consider setting up at http://www.freelists.org/.

One of my VW groups uses the freelists server and it quite good. Probably 3 times over the last 2 years we've noticed server delays (mail not going out to the list until several hours after it's posted) but nothing major.

A quick search "x10" using their search box even turned up a few archive messages from a Linux user group discussing writing a php script to operate BottleRocket and a FireCracker.

Gerald

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 11:14:52 AM »

Thanks for the reply Charles!  It seems to me that "heyu pause 60" keeps heyu busy for a minute, so if something else happens that needs heyu's attention its busy.  Is that right?

jibs:
Yes and no.  The Heyu relay and engine background processes continue to function normally but other instances of Heyu are blocked.
This is something I'll need to take a look at.

Also, is it just me or does "bluelava" web interface not work with Heyu 2.0?

Not sure.  I haven't run it myself but seem to recall a discussion about what BlueLava does and doesn't do on the heyu_users forum  before I posted the link to it on the Heyu website.

BTW, if you're still not "accepted" as a member of that forum by now, let me know the user ID you registered with (by PM if you like) and I'll try to check it out.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 11:38:02 AM »

I actually applied to join the group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/heyu_users a few days ago but have not been accepted yet  :(

Charles, since you're already a Member, would you please view Members List -> Owners & Moderators and see if you can send an E-Mail to any of them. The group is MODERATED - i.e. New Users are PENDING until an Owner or Moderator approves them, based on their input in the "Application Box".

I just applied now, so we have another TIMER started - I'll report back when I'm "IN".

Yahoo groups software gets annoyingly slow at times, but "a few days" is outrageous.   Maybe we ought to move here. :-)

The Groups are OK (for *FREE* - sometimes new messages take several minutes, or even hours to show up), but it's getting APPROVED that's causing the delay here, IMO. ;)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

jibs

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 01:04:39 PM »

Charles -
I PM'ed you my yahoo info.  See what you can do.

Thanks for your help!

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 04:11:37 PM »

The moderator of the heyu_users group has approved your request for membership.
:)  :)  :)  :)  :)
That didn't take too long...  8)

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 04:17:29 PM »

Charles -
I PM'ed you my yahoo info.  See what you can do.

Thanks for your help!

I'll bet that that itsahoot401 Member that they just promoted to Group Moderator today will be able to get the ball rolling in no time! ;)

jibs

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 04:33:15 PM »

Got it guys - Thanks again!

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 06:31:01 PM »

Charles, since you're already a Member, would you please view Members List -> Owners & Moderators and see if you can send an E-Mail to any of them. The group is MODERATED - i.e. New Users are PENDING until an Owner or Moderator approves them, based on their input in the "Application Box".

I knew that messages didn't require moderator approval and assumed that membership was the same - obviously I was wrong.

I've been leaving the mechanics of the the heyu_users group to others while I concentrated on addressing user questions and of course on the software itself. I'll still do that but had myself added as a moderator just in case there's a problem like jibs' .

In his case something went awry because there were other new members approved who had registered after him while his membership was apparently still pending.  In this case I was able to contact the group owner (who normally doesn't get involved with moderation) and he apparently approved all the pendings.

Now if I had been moderating at the time, I'd probably wonder if I should approve TTA  ;)
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.