Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Installation went smooth.  (Read 4896 times)

Jeremyj

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Installation went smooth.
« on: May 11, 2006, 10:34:59 PM »

My experience was a good one. The door/window sensors went in easy. The only problem I encountered was some of the door jams were not flush with the doors so a roll of double stick tape was required to make the arrows on the sensors meet. I also used a little epoxy to ensure they stuck. Programming was a breeze. Basically just push the button on the window sensors and wait for the console to beep. I did not use the motion sensors since all the doors were armed and I didn’t want any false alarms. I’m three hours from the house and will freak out when the console calls me. I installed two mini powers horns and one big power horn. My only complaint is I wish they were a little louder. Programming the voice dialer was easy. So after one week so far so good.

Qty Part Description
6 DS10A Door/Window Sensor
3 KR10A Security Keychain Remote
2 LM465 Lamp Module
3 MM024 Security Surveillance Decal
2 MS10A Wireless Motion Sensor
1 PS561 Voice Dialer Console
2 SH10A Mini Powerhorn
2 SH624 Security Remote Control

X10Securitysystems

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
    • X10 Security Systems
Re: Installation went smooth.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 12:01:20 PM »

Hey Jeremy,

Thank you very much for your detailed post. It is always nice to hear how smoothly installation goes for our customers. I had the same issue of door jams in my home, and used a similar solution. Glad it went well, and thanks again.

x10securityteam
X10 Security Systems Advisor
X10SecuritySystems.com

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 08:39:43 PM »

Good thing you didn't use the motion sensors they are the Achilles heel of the system everything else works pretty good the window/door sensors are pretty much flawless. The Ms10a's are prone to false alarms in the one movement mode and flat out aren't reliable in the two step mode. I tell this story all the time but it's true I was able to basically cleanup my entire house without two of them going off. What I've discovered is that the only ones that work are the PRO versions. After returning the regular units  4 or 5 times they finally sent me the Pro's and they work pretty good good enough that I trust my home to them. What I don't understand is why you have to spend the extra bucks to get something that works.  I'm personally moving on to a hybrid system basically it hardwired but I also plan on using numerous wireless components. The reason is that x10 does not support fire detection and I want something 100% reliable. Although I'm basically satisfied with my little DS7000 my new DSC system really has some incredible features like allowing you to call into the system and check the status. It also offers a board that allows integration with x10 components, plus x10 God Bless um makes a unit that will still flash my lights in the event of a break in. Plan on using my two x10 system in some rental property I'm purchasing it's a really inexpensive way to keep an eye on things while I'm away. Hope you enjoy your new system as long as you understand it's limitations you should be fine.  Best Of Luck!

Tcj

father0fseven

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 07:04:17 AM »

Which sensors would be considered "Pro" then?  The MS14a (Eagle Eye)?  One of the others?

Darren Benham, RRT, AE-C

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 07:39:56 PM »

My experience was a good one. The door/window sensors went in easy. The only problem I encountered was some of the door jams were not flush with the doors so a roll of double stick tape was required to make the arrows on the sensors meet. I also used a little epoxy to ensure they stuck. Programming was a breeze. Basically just push the button on the window sensors and wait for the console to beep. I did not use the motion sensors since all the doors were armed and I didn’t want any false alarms. I’m three hours from the house and will freak out when the console calls me. I installed two mini powers horns and one big power horn. My only complaint is I wish they were a little louder. Programming the voice dialer was easy. So after one week so far so good.

Qty Part Description
6 DS10A Door/Window Sensor
3 KR10A Security Keychain Remote
2 LM465 Lamp Module
3 MM024 Security Surveillance Decal
2 MS10A Wireless Motion Sensor
1 PS561 Voice Dialer Console
2 SH10A Mini Powerhorn
2 SH624 Security Remote Control

If those large power horns aren't really incredibly loud you might have one that's defective. The ones I have are so loud that you can't stay in the same room with them for more then a few seconds. Also if you get the pro motion detectors and put them in the 2 step mode you shouldn't have any problems I've had a unit (PMS01 X10 Pro PIR Motion) that I've had about 4 years and use everyday and have NEVER had a false alarm now the MS10a's that's a different story. I personally wont put all my faith on the the door/window sensors if they somehow get around them you won't have a backup. I think most would agree motion detectors are a vital and should be a key component of your system but I understand completely how frustrating false alarms can be so by all means stay away from the standard x10 MS10a's go for the pro's!!

Tcj
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 11:03:11 PM by tom j »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.