Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Programming Socket Rocket  (Read 9904 times)

davidpm

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Programming Socket Rocket
« on: September 28, 2009, 04:02:59 PM »

hello,
   I'm brand new to X10 and I'm trying to figure out how to configure my Socket Rockets.  I followed the instructions on the wiki and nothing happened so I'm completely stumped.

I'd like to have these in a cieling fan and a couple of lamps.  All currently respond to "All on" and I believe that they are default to A1.  I'd like to program them all to different codes.

Also, I'd like to set up the RF wall switch to turn on a socket rocket.  I know how to program the buttons and was able to get the computer to respond to the RF command and turn on the proper coded switch, but the light didn't respond.  Does anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks!

DM

MANOWAR©

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • Your new messiah's me.
Re: Programming Socket Rocket
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 04:32:46 PM »

The way I program a socket rocket is put it in a standard lamp and plug that lamp into a plug in LM465 lamp module set at the address I want the socket rocket to be with the lamp turned off. I then turn the lamp on and then push on and then off, on and off, on and off on a HR12A remote using that address.

Example I want it to be B2, I put the LM465 at B2 with the socket rocket installed in a lamp plugged into the LM465 then turn the lamps power switch on and hit B2 on and off on the HR12A remote. Works every time. I also try to do it on the same outlet I have the CM15A plugged into.
Lesbians killed the mullet for everyone.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 06:36:04 PM »

The Lamp Module is not needed to program a Socket Rocket. Though that is a unique way to do it.  :)%

The Socket Rocket is in the programming mode for 30 seconds after power is applied.

So you can put the one to be programed in a table lamp with the local switch off. Turn on the lamp and send the address wanted three times with in the 30 seconds. It then can be moved to its final installed place. It will remember its address. The bulb in the Socket Rocket should now go on and off with the new code programmed.

Also if you have any motion sensors. If one trips during the program time. In theory it can put a signal in the three address programming string and maybe effect it being programed.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 07:15:27 PM by Brian H »

davidpm

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 05:19:45 PM »

Everyone is making this sound so simple and I can't figure it out.  It's getting very frustrating. 

I currently have a floor lamp plugged into the wall.  I checked to be sure that the bulb was working and that the switch was turned ON.  Then I switched it OFF, put the LM15A into the socket and the bulb into the LM15A.  I put the switch ON then repeatedly send a signal using AHP with the code set to A3 within 30 seconds.

Nothing happens.  Every socket rocket will only respond to A1 code, which is default. 

I can use AHP to program right?  I put the CM15A into the same outlet as the lamp and there is no surge protector being used.

What am I doing wrong?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 06:30:07 PM »

In AHP, install (add) a chime module to the desired address.  Turn power to the Socket Rocket on.  Hit the chime 3 times.  Verify that the module was programmed correctly (use your module switch).  Un-install the chime module.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 06:53:36 PM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 06:39:39 PM »

I think Knightrider has the answer. I don't think there is an easy way to have AHP send an on signal three times in a row if the Socket Rocket is the defined module. I think someone also wrote a custom macro to do it, but I like the Chime Module method.

I tried it with my setup and the first try didn't work. Read the LM15A install sheet and it indicated the there should be about a one second interval between the signals. So I tried it again and just kept clicking the temporary Chime Module Button. That time it worked.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 08:00:02 PM by Brian H »

davidpm

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 08:34:42 PM »

Still nothing.

Just to be clear that I'm doing the right thing.  I went to Other > Remote Chime SC546A  > Changed it to A3 because I want the Socket Rocket to be A3.  Turned on power to the lamp.  Immediately clicked the Remote Chime 3 times.  Then I added a LM15A module, assigned it to A3 and then check to see if it responds to the On command.

Is this correct?  If so, I'm still getting nothing.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 09:23:28 PM »

I did some digging.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Programming_Your_Socket_Rocket_Without_A_Remote

Also some reference here:

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=17323.0

If you still don't find a working solution and need help, let all of us know and one of us will design a macro.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 10:12:41 AM »

If the programming took. On the third click of the Chime Module it should go on. If it didn't the programming didn't take.
Try the lamp in the same outlet as the CM15A to eliminate signal problems.

shanepresley

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 06:01:32 PM »

If the programming took. On the third click of the Chime Module it should go on. If it didn't the programming didn't take.
Try the lamp in the same outlet as the CM15A to eliminate signal problems.

Just a "me too" post.  I just got AHP and a Socket Rocket, and couldn't figure out how to program it.  The chime trick worked perfectly.  On the third "chime" event the light went on.  I then converted the chime module to a socket rocket, and we're good to go!

davidpm

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 05:21:36 PM »

Still nothing.  I even used a different lamp to be sure that it wasn't an issue with the power to the lamp.  I have the lamp plugged into the same outlet as the CM15A with no surge protector.  I added the chime module, set it to A3, powered on the light, sent the chime signal 3 times and nothing happens.  The Socket Rocket module is still at its default of A1. 

These modules are the main reason that I got X10.  I have a number of ceiling lights with no switches and I'm trying to use X10 to make these more convenient.

What's next?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 06:05:24 PM »

I would call Customer Support (especially if they are all the same date code), X10 probably made a batch of bad ones.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.