📝Reviews > ActiveHome Pro Reviews

How Not to Automate your home with Active Home Pro and X10 devices...

<< < (3/4) > >>

dave w:

--- Quote from: devedsmith on February 17, 2009, 03:50:40 AM ---Ok, first thought: NEVER, and I mean NEVER use x10 for security. That's just dumb given their YEARS of reliability problems and lack of product/support updates.

Second, they are nothing more than a marketing engine. Having met with them in person they know nothing about their product except how to sell it. Really!

Third, there are much better products on the market for the same price. smarthome.com will tell you that - and they know their product.

Fourth, I have dozens (yes DOZENS) of x10 modules. Only the oldest (Radio Shack, circa 1985) modules work the best. ALL of the newer products have problems or have mind-boggling differences too many to count.

Fifth, the shear volume of product variations make x10 a nightmare to plan, purchase, and configure.

Sixth, they haven't made any significant updates to the ActiveHome Pro application in years. Knowing them, they just aren't interested. And yet, it's an entirely custom application. Every control, button, slider, window, menu, and checkbox has been custom programmed. Talk about a bloated waist of budget on no-talent programmers.

Seventh, their current software doesn't even include all of their product in the interface. Ever tried to add a camera? Suprise!

Eighth, PLC is a novelty. It's that simple and nothing more.

Ninth, x10 is slow. The AcitiveHome Pro application just makes the problem worse with a slow scripting language behind the macros.

Tenth... I could go on and on....and on....

Any thoughts?

--- End quote ---

Yes, Dump the X10 and buy something else. Since you think PLC is a novelty, stay away from UPB and Insteon, and look at Z-Wave. In todays world the (almost) sole advantage to X10 is very low cost. Finally, remember, you can't buy a Cadillac at Yugo prices.

steven r:

--- Quote from: HRHKEE on December 03, 2007, 01:26:53 PM ---...Who thought up the antennae on the Ninja's? What should I do? Rotate the house and the receiver around with it too to maintain perfect alignment with the camera?...

--- End quote ---
Add to that the receiving antenna is directional...  Not really the greatest -:)

babybearjs:
interesting thread... just a reminder.... electricians are stupid! they don't think about wiring thinks PROPERLY.... they just wire things the way they wire things... just like Microsoft... they are part of a poorly taught industry... there are too many variables... circuits can be wired too many ways and there seems to be no "Standard" way to wire anything... I'm lucky, I have a manufactured home, and the electrician wired all the switches with neutrals... so I can use the WS13A switches and not have any issues... my problem is the phase link... it sometimes works... I install a passive phase coupler, but its a ACT brand and not "TUNED" for a X10 signal, so I'm getting the right parts for the job... and from automated outlet.com... they're prices are slightly better the X10.com, plus they have everything in stock and offered online. If X10 want to sell stuff, they need to SHOW the ENTIRE Product Line!!! not just what they think will sell.

dave w:
Baby,

Your inputs are valuable, but ya know, you are responding to some VERY old threads. Just trying to save you from getting needless finger cramps.  :-*

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: dave w on April 10, 2013, 09:43:32 AM ---Baby,

.... you are responding to some VERY old threads.
--- End quote ---

But still watched and read by the same old people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version