Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New 4-camera system ($269 special)  (Read 7813 times)

suesloan

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
New 4-camera system ($269 special)
« on: May 21, 2009, 12:22:44 PM »

I just got this system, and unpacked all the boxes each component comes in. There was a "Lola" package substituted in the package instead of just the Wireless PC Transceiver (CM19A). 4 camers, 4 motion detectors, etc.....covers my entire coffee table!!

As I open each box, there are installation instructions for each piece. But I do not find a single sheet/document that puts it all together in one place. Most of them refer to connecting to a TV or VCR, but I do not want to do that. I want to connect only to a PC, including recording motion (on the PC's hard disk??). This is so I can see the recording from my second home location in Florida. Does the Vanguard Control Center Software (SW26A) do all of this?

Do you have such a document (all in one instructions) for this "popular package"?? IF not, I think you should do it!

Sue

PS: I also got the video send/receive package hooked up to a TV in my office near the PC. Will there be a conflict between them?

suesloan

Re: New 4-camera system ($269 special)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »

About 2 hours spent. Progress?? Here is what I have done so far:

My setup for the $269 Camera Surveillance Package
10AM -11:40 AM May 22, 2009

1) Unpacked everything, noting each "thing" has its own little instruction sheet. Some of them refer to operating lights or appliances, which I am not going to do. Others refer to hooking up to a TV, but I am hooking up to a PC with a USB port.

2) I installed batteries in the 4 motion detectors and set them to Unit 1, 2, 3, and 4. All in House A.

3) I placed the motion detectors in various rooms near my office. I plugged the receiver into an outlet in the middle of the space where the motion detectors are located.

4) I set up the cameras to Unit 1,2,3, and 4, all in House A. I plugged them into power in each room. (I set aside the pan/tilt box for now.

5) I plugged in the Video receiver, turned it on. I connected it to the analog-digital converter but not yet into the USB port.

6) I located the CM19A and set it next to the computer. I does not have a power connection.

7) I went to the PC and installed the software. It prompted me to plug in the two devices, then said it installed the drivers.

8.) I opened the "browser" and it displayed only a test pattern for camera 1. I noticed I had not turned the Video Receiver ON, so I did that and then when it did not start working better, I restarted the PC. Note this is Windows 2000, Internet Explorer 6.x.

9) On restart, I got the "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" The \SystemRoot\SYstem32\DRIVERS\TridVid.sys device driver could not locate the entry point KsFilterFactoryUpdateCacheData in driver KS.SYS.

10) Noting the blue screen pointing to the new drivers, I unplugged the PC to start from a power off condition. The same error occurred at that point. The screen suggests that I ask for any W2000 updates that I might need. Then they suggest I disable or remove the newly installed hardware or software, sisable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. Or use Safe Mode to do so if necessary.

So I am stuck at this point. I will search your site for help, but if anyone can point out the direction from here, I would appreciate it. I unplugged the two devices and W2000 came up ok at that point, so I am not entirely 'out of business'. Fortunately I have several computers that I can communicate with you from.

Sue
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 11:48:07 AM by suesloan »

suesloan

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 11:46:03 AM »

NOTE: My TV send/receive has no picture or sound on channel A now. I moved them both to D and I have an OK picture but the sound is scratchy. What is the solution??

Sue

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 12:00:20 PM »

Do you have such a document (all in one instructions) for this "popular package"?? IF not, I think you should do it!

This forum is made up of X10 users.

There is no guarentee anyone from X10 will see your comments directed to X10. But the users help where we can.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

suesloan

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 12:07:28 PM »

Ok, I, as a user, have started a log of my implementation steps which may help others. I am posting it here.

But for now I seem to have a driver problem. Is there any way to "refresh" the drivers for the CM19A and the Video converter VA12A? Uninstall and reinstall the software perhaps?

I definitely have a driver problem with the VA12A. When I  open the Vanguard Browser, I get a message that the "TridVid.sys device driver could not locate the entry point KsFilterFactoryUpdateCacheData in driver KS.SYS"

I also have not registered the software -- it never asked me to do so and I see no place to do it in the "browser".

HELP!

Sue
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 12:46:42 PM by suesloan »

suesloan

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 10:56:33 AM »

Continuing my installation log from where I left off:

10A) Now 1:15 PM Friday, I called tech support and got hung up on. Called back and the person is sending me "new software". This is good because the software I have now does not have a "remote" tab to set up a remote user. I am now wondering how to set this up to run automatically  as noone will be at the "host" PC in NY when I go to Florida in about 10 days.

11) 3:05 PM received new software. They said I did not need to uninstall the prior software to install it. So I tried, and when I opened the "browser" it hung the PC with a blank browser window. Cold start, unplug USBs, reinstall to get drivers updated. Sheesh!

12) Found a new link in the Start-Programs menu labeled simply Vanguard, and clicking it brings up the registration dialog. Registered now. I guess I do not use the "browser" link on the PC where the cameras are installed!

13) Now I have trhe Vanguard screen up and it is displaying test patterns on all cameras after I added cameras 2, 3, 4. Device manager shows error with the VA12A driver. Restarting computer. Blue screen again. Safe mode does not show problem with device. But normal start = Blue Screen again.

14) I am going to delete the driver file KS.SYS and try installation again.

15) Called Tech support again and got new driver install program. Installed on W2000 PC, same error. Switching to another PC. This one is a newer Dell with W/XP on it. Perhaps the USB ports on the older PC are not up to the job.

16) Ok now I reregistered the software and the Vanguard window comes up. I added the cameras 2,3,4 and unplugged all 4 and plugged them back in. I added the 2,3,4 motion detectors. I now see camera 1's picture on 2,3,and 4, but just static on camera 1. I set up a remote user ID.

17) I brought up the Vanguard Browser on another computer and connected. Had to then "connect" the original Vanguard window on the XP computer, and then I see camera 1,2,3 and 4 the same as on the Vanguard window as stated above.

More work this AM starting 7:30 AM till now at 11AM:

18) Next morning, I turned off the X10 video send/receive product (2.4 Ghz) to see if there was any difference. Nope, But I did find that when I fiddled with the connector in the wiring on camera 1 it suddenly let the other three cameras show their pictures. I then went to the other three cameras and tightened the connectors on them. I now have pictures on all 4 cameras -- different ones of different rooms. Camera 1 goes to static and back to a picture occasionally. I hear a click in the other room when it does this both when "it" goes off and back on. Dont know what is coming on and off.

19) The motion detector does not appear to turn the cameras on/off on the Vanguard screen. Dont know if this is correct or not. 

20) Got my friend in Florida to try the Vanguard Browser with my code and password, and after a few problems with ActiveX installation and Plugin enabling, he can now see the 4 camera pictures too. He said he saw no video until he right-clicked on the window and selected an option for 100% video or something like that. I did not need to do that last step on two other computers here at home to get them to work as "remotes".

21) Next step is to add the Ninja pan/tilt and test it. Then deploy to other parts of the house.

The only other problem I have had is when I turned on one light in another room, it put the Vanguard screen back to showing camera 1 on all 4 camera selections. I turned it off and that fixed it. The light switch in that room is a "low voltage" switch by Nutone. If this causes interference, I will likely give up since 90% of the lights in the house are on those types of switches.

I do hope this log is of use to someone else. The connector loose on the camera wiring should be added to "troubleshooting" in the Wiki.

Sue

crowntown

• Helpful Post Rating: -5
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 09:55:51 PM »

Sue, thanks for taking the time to detail your experience. 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.