💬General Category > General Discussion

What OS are you primarily using for your Home Automation

<< < (2/4) > >>

SkipWX10:
I'm the one vote for X10WTI/AHP. I have a simple setup and still use the CM15a and love it, only issue is power outages since the battery compartment is long corroded away...but, I added the WM100 so I can disconnect the CM15a and access my home when away reset after an outage. I don't do anything but lighting, so I am not concerned that anything horrible can occur if there is a problem.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: HA Dave on January 16, 2020, 03:07:41 PM ---..... What portion or percentage of my automation processing is done in house or by cloud processors. That’s something I should give some thought to… If only as a mental exercise. 
--- End quote ---

And after thinking about this... I am confident that the bulk of my Home Automation "processing" is done by servers. I DO run several small smart devices... a router for my garage door, a Wink smart device, An echo Plus (with Zigbee), and 5 other echo's, and my X10 is controlled by a Homeseer pi based controller. But virtually ALL my timers and programmed actions are Internet controlled. Even my newest cameras save videos to a server (somewhere).

I am currently experimenting with switching over to using.... my phone... (my iphone to be more exact) as my primary home computing device.

Others I know have already done this. Or were never actually "computer" users. It's like I've gone full circle. From a toy of a PC with a Vic-20, to the Windows 3.0, NT, 95, and every other iteration Bill Gates marketed. Then the iphones and ipad.... even made a stab at a Raspberry solution.

But it all boils down to IoT (the Internet of Things). All anyone needs is a "device" and a connection... and both are ubiquitous... being built into everything. 

Tuicemen:

--- Quote from: HA Dave on January 17, 2020, 05:06:08 PM ---But it all boils down to IoT (the Internet of Things). All anyone needs is a "device" and a connection... and both are ubiquitous... being built into everything.

--- End quote ---
And that's why the writing is on the wall for X10 Home Automation, maybe!
Plug in socket rockets, lamp & appliance modules most definitely will soon be obsolete. The shelves at my local hardware store now has equal number of smart lights verses standard bulbs.
It is getting harder and harder to find non smart TVs.
In fact every thing I now control via X10 both here and at my off grid place has a smart equivalent.
Even my off grid outdoor wood furnace  has a smart version and is now available with Wifi  ::) :'

LostDog88:

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on January 19, 2020, 09:01:13 AM ---Even my off grid outdoor wood furnace  has a smart version and is now available with Wifi  ::) :'

--- End quote ---

My dad has a smoker that has bluetooth.

He can view the meat temp with one probe and the smoker temp with another probe. Both temps show up via bluetooth and an app on his iPhone.

My dad.

I'm still adding charcoal to my unit and looking and saying, Hmmm.....Nope. Not quite ready yet.

Tuicemen:
Ya I have a friend with a pellet smoker he only needs to put the meat in and out and load the pellets the smoker does everything else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version