Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: RF Transmission  (Read 58402 times)

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
RF Transmission
« on: September 16, 2006, 09:47:49 AM »

I have the CM15A, AHP with Smart Macros plug in. I run with the Transceived House Codes set to NONE because I use a V572AB for all my RF. (No security consol at this time)

With the above settings if I operate the DS10A within 10 feet of the CM15A it triggers fine. Any further away then that it does nothing.

Looking for some info on how the RF is received. Will the RF from the DS10A only be picked up by the CM15A or will a TM751 also pick up the signal? Is this what the second antenna inside the CM15A is for?

The few tests I made so far indicate that only the CM15A will pick up the signal. What options are there to increase range?
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: RF Transmission
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 10:05:59 AM »

The second antenna is for transmitting a signal to things like a Ninja Mount and maybe security signals; I have no experience with the security plug in. Other Transceiver modules including your V572AB will see the RF from the DS10A but should not process them as the sensor sends security messages.
Try the CM15A antenna Horizontal that sometimes helps. There are warranty voiding modifications like adding an external antenna to a CM15A. I did one myself and it made things much better range wise.

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 10:19:42 AM »

Thanks Brian...  Kinda of what I thought. Somewhere, I thought on X10 site I seen a booster or repeater for security signals. Can't seem to find it now. anyone else see this?

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 11:07:29 AM »

Found it!  The SR731 Repeater. Anyone out there that has one that can share some input on this unit? Can it be setup to only repeat security signals and not automation remote signals?

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 04:01:04 PM »

Found it!  The SR731 Repeater. Anyone out there that has one that can share some input on this unit? Can it be setup to only repeat security signals and not automation remote signals?

I just got a SR731 today and haven't had a chance to do much testing yet.  However there are no provisions for selecting the types of signals it will repeat.  The only setting is a channel selector switch for use if you have more than one SR731 in your house.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 06:34:38 PM »

After you get a chance to play with it awhile please do post what you think about it. I will be looking forward to what you have to say about it.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 07:38:34 PM »

After you get a chance to play with it awhile please do post what you think about it. I will be looking forward to what you have to say about it.

OK, will do.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

jannison

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 11:57:49 AM »

Until now I have not used the "Receive" function of the CM15A. I recently obtained the DS10A and KR10A units.
The "Receive" range appears to be about 10 feet (line of sight) in relation to the Door/Window or Keychain units. Is this VERY poor distance range typical???
If so these units go back!

John

RJMiller

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 12:35:17 PM »

Until now I have not used the "Receive" function of the CM15A. I recently obtained the DS10A and KR10A units.
The "Receive" range appears to be about 10 feet (line of sight) in relation to the Door/Window or Keychain units. Is this VERY poor distance range typical???

John

I have a retail space 50' deep with a front door and back door using the window/door controls.  The CM15A is located about 20' from front and 30' from back... no problem.  Course the RF repeater is quite cheap if needed.

RJ

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 12:42:54 PM »

John

With the CM15A plugged upright in a wall socket and the antenna extended horizontally, I'm getting about a range of about 45 feet line-of-sight with a DS10A.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

jannison

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 07:29:27 PM »

Thanks for the feedback about the limited receiving range problem I am having.  It appears that the receiver may be defective.........now to see if it is still under warranty. This is the first time I had need for the receiver function.

John

nswint

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
    • Shiksa
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 09:13:27 AM »

With my antenna up I only have about 6 - 8 feet direct line of sight range with the Security Remote and the DS10A.  With the antenna horizontal it doubles.  The sr731 is picking up all the rf signals from remotes and door sensors (I see the flashing lights), I don't know if it's injecting them into the powerline.  I don't see them on the AH Activity Monitor.

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 09:58:04 AM »

I don't think the SR731 puts it on the power line. I think it resends the RF by way of RF to the CM15A and then to the program. Is this correct? (Still waiting for my SR731 to come in.)

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 03:20:34 PM »

I don't think the SR731 puts it on the power line. I think it resends the RF by way of RF to the CM15A and then to the program. Is this correct? (Still waiting for my SR731 to come in.)

Yes, that's correct.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

nswint

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
    • Shiksa
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 09:57:40 PM »

I put the SR731 in the fuzzy 7 - 10 foot zone from the CM15a and it helped slightly.  I unplugged the SR731 and the CM15A only picked up what was coming from 2 Motion Sensors in the bathroom in the next rooms above and below the receiver.  It picked up the remote only after I held it high up in the adjacent room.

Plugging the SR731 only helped the CM15A slightly.  Me thinks the Extended "X10" Code from the security units isn't readily picked up by the CM15A.  That's why I believe X10 is pushing the SR731.
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.