Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [How-Do-I] Hide the DS10A (Home Security RF Transmitter) to Please the Wife?  (Read 8304 times)

skate

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I am considering the purchase of an X10 based system for home security.  I don't find any information regardin the size of the wireless window and door sensors.  Even hearing a rough size would help me.  Regardless of the size, how do you get the wife to allow a white box on the wall?  Is there a way to hide the transmitter ??

...SKate

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX

I am considering the purchase of an X10 based system for home security.  I don't find any information regardin the size of the wireless window and door sensors.  Even hearing a rough size would help me.  Regardless of the size, how do you get the wife to allow a white box on the wall?  Is there a way to hide the transmitter ??

...SKate

The DS10A Door/Window sensor transmitter is about 3.25" high x 2.25" wide x 0.75" thick.  Each half of the magnetic switch is 0.5 wide x 2.13" long x 0.5" thick.  The switch is connected to the transmitter with a 16"  2-wire cable (which could be extended if necessary).

I suppose you could paint the transmitter to match your wall or window frame although I don't know what effect different kinds of paint might have on the range.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

skate

thanks for the info. !!  Has anyone else been forced to hide the transmitters??
...SKate

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!

Window sensors can some times be hidden be hide the window treatments (blinds,curtains,valances) ;) :D >:(  You could add a wire  length to the sensor but how much before it effected the performance I don't know! Problem is hiding the wire! ::)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Appliance Module

Yes the module may show if it can not be hidden behind the blinds or curtains.  It is really quite unobtrusive.

Regarding the wires, I set the module right on top of the door/window casing so that there is no gap between the module and the casing.  Then I drill an angling hole through the casing to exit where the mag switches are located.  Results are no wires show, just a molule a little larger than a pack o f cigarettes above the door or window.

Regarding hiding behind the blinds, curtains etc, laying the module on its side makes it a little less high and helps in hiding it behind the window coverings.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.