Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Sentinel Cam review  (Read 127806 times)

zach1234

Re: Sentinel Cam review
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 10:34:02 PM »

I have a sentinel dedicated to a demo for public access. See it at homeautomationchat.zoomshare.com. Make sure to correct the quality.

eldurval

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 11:57:15 PM »

Be careful with the X10 cameras, the staff of this company is very friendly when it comes to sell you a cam, but when they have purchased a camera, they have very bad service, and the cameras are less than half of what they announce whether is that the cameras manage to be functional more than three months.

I have two camera they buy them and sold them to two customers, they returned the camera to me that never worked and now I have the camera practically garbage, after this I lost more than 5000 dollars in this company.

be carefull

theworkingman00

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 05:39:41 AM »

The Sentinel really does not hold up the weight of its price tag. But in this market it is a good choose. Many high dollar products abound and Sentinel in the middle of the road with much of the bells and bangggs. Still, bucks...Bucks...BUcks...BUCks...BUCKs...BUCKS$$$$$$%$$%%$$%%$%$OUCH >*< >*< >*< >*< >*<LOL

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 10:14:55 AM »

Still, bucks...Bucks...BUcks...BUCks...BUCKs...BUCKS$$$$$$%$$%%$$%%$%$OUCH

Oh come on. None of this stuff is free. The Sentinel has one of the finest zooms on the market... at a fraction of the cost of most in its class. What would you recommend as a cheaper way to go?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

SteveF-Sentinel

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 10:35:34 PM »

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.  I have 2 Sentinel cameras and am having the same problem with the tilt as described by others here.  I am interested in trying the solution described below by DMC3551, but have a few questions:

• Has anyone tried this and had any problems I should be aware of?  (The camera is already out of warranty so I am aware it might void the warranty)
  • In the instructions, second bullet, it references "Once removed then find the four recessed philllips screws."   Once what is removed?  The 7 screws referenced in step 1?  I dont see these 4 screws, only the 7 ones referenced in step 1.
  • The instructions mention cutting the foil tape.  Could a portion of it be covered with black non-reflective tape instead of cutting the foil?
  • ONce reassembled, how do you put the head in the 90 degree position without the power on??

This original post is about 3 1/2 years old, so if anyone has any new suggestions, Id appreciate the help.

Thanks

STI2NR

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
    • Security cams online!!
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 02:30:44 PM »

Does the sentinel retain its settings if you say have 1 sentinel camera and 3 standard x10 wireless cameras? 

If I change between the cameras is the sentinel going to reset its settings??

Does it come with a switching power supply like the standard x10 cameras so you can include it in your "4 camera" setup?? 

;-)
Licensed Inside Commercial Electrician in Oregon and Washington --USMC veteran 1993-2001--3 time marathon completer 2008 (4:12) 2009 (PDX 3:44, Seattle 3:32)

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 02:51:46 PM »

I have read here that the switched power only stops the wireless video transmitter, not the camera (or the RCA video output) so it should not change the settings.

I have not tried it myself, though...
>!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 03:27:01 PM »

The Instant on wireless cameras keep the video detector and electronics active and switch the RF on and off.
The older ones took a few seconds for the video detector to charge up and the picture faded up as it turned on. For a time when both versions where being made. The Instant On ones cost more than the originals.

STI2NR

• Security cams online!!
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 06:57:38 PM »

I KNOW what the standard x10 cams will do but I want to know from an OWNER of a sentinel camera if the camera retains its settings once a motion detector switches over to another camera and then back to the sentinel. 

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

;-)
Licensed Inside Commercial Electrician in Oregon and Washington --USMC veteran 1993-2001--3 time marathon completer 2008 (4:12) 2009 (PDX 3:44, Seattle 3:32)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 08:10:19 PM »

I am glad you know the standard cameras.
I hope someone with the Sentinel will have the added data you need.

Have you had a chance to look at the Sentinel information in the wiki?
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Sentinel
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 08:16:24 PM by Brian H »

HA Dave

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »

I want to know from an OWNER of a sentinel camera if the camera retains its settings once a motion detector switches over to another camera and then back to the sentinel. 

Yes it does. The camera doesn't really turn off. Off for the Sentinel means the RF video is turned off... Only. The hardwired video always displays.

STI2NR

• Security cams online!!
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 11:25:32 PM »

Thanks Dave, you are always so helpful on these boards.

A couple more questions, if the motion sensors switch to another camera other than the SENTINEL and the SENTINEL is doing it's automated PTZ, will it continue to do it's programmed PTZ?? 

Let's say I set the SENTINEL up to pan back and forth all day automatically, will it continue to do this if switched to another camera??

Also, is there any software that allows for you to set up the SENTINEL so it will track and follow a moving object as best it can on the screen??

I know ABELCAM software does this but I do not think it is able to control a sentinel camera, just an IP camera.

Thanks again for your time!!!

HA Dave

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 12:30:50 AM »

A couple more questions, if the motion sensors switch to another camera other than the SENTINEL and the SENTINEL is doing it's automated PTZ, will it continue to do it's programmed PTZ?? 
Let's say I set the SENTINEL up to pan back and forth all day automatically, will it continue to do this if switched to another camera??
I don't know. I no longer have a Sentinel to test... and I can't remember.

Also, is there any software that allows for you to set up the SENTINEL so it will track and follow a moving object as best it can on the screen??

There is a guy that wrote a face tracking software:  http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=19504.msg109054#msg109054

STI2NR

• Security cams online!!
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2010, 08:28:37 PM »

Anyone know of a source to get just the sentinel weatherproof housings??

Thanks for the help once again!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 08:39:24 PM by STI2NR »

HA Dave

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 09:03:15 PM »

Anyone know of a source to get just the sentinel weatherproof housings??

I have heard eBay. But I just made search... and didn't find anything. I guess you could try modifying a large (dummy) dome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.