Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Noob needs help, PLEASE!!!  (Read 22468 times)

08ChallengerDad

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Noob needs help, PLEASE!!!
« on: October 28, 2006, 10:26:04 PM »

Hi to all.
Just got an X10 system this past week (what better time than just before Halloween?), and am having problems getting everything to work correctly.
I have repeatedly configured everything according to the instructions and troubleshooting guides, but still can't get the system to work right.
Here's what's in my system:

3- wireless XCam2 
3- EagleEye Motion Detectors
1- Camera Remote Control 
1- VCR Commander II
1- Audio/Video Reciever (mono) 
1- 8 Unit ScanCam Remote
1- Mini Transciever
1- XCam Camera Tripod
1- XCam2 Battery Pack (not being used)
1- DaVinci Tripod (not being used)

I originally thought the VCR Commander II wasn't working when the EagleEye Motion Detectors didn't trigger the "record" function on my VCR. I reprogrammed the VCR Commander II numerous times.
I went through all of the instructions again, checking what I thought was every concievable possibility.
Then when I used the 8 Unit ScanCam Remote to switch between cameras, the VCR Commander II showed activity (light flashing faster) and the VCR began recording.

The system IS supposed to record when the EagleEye Motion Detectors are activated, NOT when the XCam2's are selected with the 8 Unit ScanCam Remote, correct??
What have I done that activates the record function on my VCR using the 8 Unit ScanCam Remote instead of the EagleEye Motion Detectors, and how do I reverse that?

Any help anyone can give me would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Noob needs help, PLEASE!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 10:44:32 PM »

The system IS supposed to record when the EagleEye Motion Detectors are activated, NOT when the XCam2's are selected with the 8 Unit ScanCam Remote, correct??
What have I done that activates the record function on my VCR using the 8 Unit ScanCam Remote instead of the EagleEye Motion Detectors, and how do I reverse that?

An RF address, whether it comes from a motion sensor or a remote, is what triggers the VCR Commander.

Regarding the programming of the VCR Commander, as badly as the instructions may seem, they are correct and only works if you follow it to the letter.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 11:00:09 PM »

Generally you would set your motion sensor to say A1. Then you would set one camera to A1, Then set the Video Commander II to A1. Repeating the process (A2-A3) with the other Cams, sensors, and commander II.

Then as someone approaches the sensor(s) the camera would turn on, and start the recorder. Because the Cams are in a group of 4 (1-4 or 4-8 etc) Camera A2 would turn off A1 (or A3) when it is triggered by it's motion sensor (A2). In turn it would also repeat the record signal to to the commander.

However.... the Cameras (and commander) can't tell the sensors from the remote. If you would like to turn the Cams on and look around.... turn the VCR off 1st.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

08ChallengerDad

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 12:15:59 PM »

Regarding the programming of the VCR Commander, as badly as the instructions may seem, they are correct and only works if you follow it to the letter. Puck
Generally you would set your motion sensor to say A1. Then you would set one camera to A1, Then set the Video Commander II to A1. Repeating the process (A2-A3) with the other Cams, sensors, and commander II.
Then as someone approaches the sensor(s) the camera would turn on, and start the recorder. Because the Cams are in a group of 4 (1-4 or 4-8 etc) Camera A2 would turn off A1 (or A3) when it is triggered by it's motion sensor (A2). In turn it would also repeat the record signal to to the commander. Dave_X10_L

Thanks, Guys....
I have the Xcam2 cameras set for A1, A2, & A3, as well as the EagleEye's, but it's not working right. I MUST have messed something up.
The problem with the VCR Commander II is that there are several different instructions listed/printed for setting it up and I must not have the programming sequence correct (which component to program first, then next, etc.).
I'll do everything over again today......already have about 20 hours into this - may as well make sure it's right.

Again, thanks. I appreciate the input.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 12:30:19 PM »

I have the Xcam2 cameras set for A1, A2, & A3, as well as the EagleEye's, but it's not working right. I MUST have messed something up.

I don't have the EagleEye's, but I believe theses motion detectors send an ADDRESS + 1 ON/OFF signals at DUSK/DAWN respectively. If your noticing problems when the area the sensors are in goes from dark to light and vise-versa, this could be the cause.

E.G. EagleEye A1 will send an A2 ON at dusk and A2 OFF at dawn.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 12:46:15 PM »

Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 03:31:29 PM »

Yes on most X10 motion sensors. Motions address+1=Dusk/Dawn. And don't think you can use Unit Address 16 as the motion one since there is no unit 17 there will be no Dusk/Dawn sent. It loops back to unit 1.  ::)

08ChallengerDad

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 07:17:27 PM »

I FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!     :D                  I FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!     :D                I FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!     :D               I FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!       :D   It took your feedback(s) and a lot of trial and error, but I finally got the thing to work correctly.
I know it's tough to write perfect instructions when there are SO MANY combinations of components in every "system", but there should be something for complete noob's (like me) that will take them (us) step-by-step through each "type" of system.
Thanks to all of you who replied to my plea for help! Couldn't have completed the installation without you!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.