Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reliability of the NightWatch 2 and Anaconda Color camera's  (Read 26208 times)

Lexington_Browns

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Reliability of the NightWatch 2 and Anaconda Color camera's
« on: November 16, 2006, 05:22:33 PM »

I have two NightWatch 2 camera's that I installed over the summer.  They are cascaded along with 2 Anaconda camera's using Y cables as suggested by X10 Support.  The Anaconda camera's have been powered off because of problems with them not turning off.

The Nightwatch camera's had been working fine with the VCR that I had them cascaded to using the Y cables.  They were functioning with the IR motion detectors and turning off and on when expected.  I was having a problem with the cheap VCR powering off and so left it alone while trying to decide what to do about it. 

Today when I went back to the camera's and hooked up the TV to the VCR I discovered that the camera's are not transmitting anymore.  I powered up the Anaconda's and they were working although they still had the same problem as before.  I checked the Power supply with a meter and using the hand held control I was able to turn the power supply on and off.  I was getting 20 volts not the advertised 12 volts but I figured that was because it was not under load.  The Anaconda power supply put out the same static voltage.

So the question is.... Is there a problem with the Night Watch 2 camera's failing or is there something else that I have missed here.

John B

Re: Reliability of the NightWatch 2 and Anaconda Color camera's
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 03:37:59 AM »

Exactlly, I have the nightwatch B/W camera model SC23A and also experiencing some unexplainable performance.  I purchased a small mini NTSC b/w TV to use to view camera but could only hear audio no video when I plug the RCA plug of camera to back of TV.  However when I pluged the wires into a VHS machine and then output back to TV both video and sound came in perfectly clear on TV?

I then had the wires go to a Winfast 2000 video card on my PC and also it worked great.

The next day the reception started to get graining and flickering, I moved it back to the small TV and the same, until now I can again only hear audio but no video.

The same thing happen about a year ago while my camera was under warranty, and I had it replaced. I installed it in a speaker to conceal it and it worked fine for about 6 months then it just stoped working?

Can anybody suggest why a camera would stop working overnight, is the camera not grounded correctly and it shorts out?  or are these cameras just garbage?   

Any suggestions would be appreciated even though I've just about run out of patience.

tjdavj

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 10:19:26 AM »

Lexington_Browns:

So the question is.... Is there a problem with the Night Watch 2 camera's failing or is there something else that I have missed here.

Sounds like the cameras failed, as long as you test was complete.

John B:

Regarding the problem w/ the mini b/w TV, it's probably the video input jack on the TV, NOT a problem with the camera.

I installed it in a speaker to conceal it and it worked fine for about 6 months then it just stoped working?

Your lucky it lasted 6 months! Putting a camera in a speaker is just asking for trouble. The vibrations from the speaker can cause wires to break and possible stress fractures on the circuit board and image sensor. I doubt that X10 would cover it under warranty.

Also, the cameras aren't garbage, but they are inexpensively made, and should be treated as such.

John B

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 04:57:50 AM »

no the speaker was not even plugged in! I actually took the speaker cone out before putting the camera in just to make sure the magnet would not affect the camera perfomance.   but I guess nobody has a clue why these cameras just stop working overnight?

tjdavj

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 09:38:11 AM »

John B:

Have you tested the power supply, or checked the power supply cable for any damage?

Lexington_Browns

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 09:51:06 PM »

That was the first thing I thought of. I have both camera's on a computer grade surge suppressor but figured some kind of power spike got to them or they are more sensitive than expected.  I tested the power supply with my meter.  I got full voltage when I used the hand held controller to turn the camera on and off.  I could turn the camera on and off and watch the needle deflect then go back to the post when I pressed the off button.  So the Power Supplies were fine. 

Now this does not leave out the possibility of the camera getting spiked.  And that would explain both failing the way they did.

So this is what I am asking.  Is there a weakness on the part of the B/W camera's that is causing them to fail?

tjdavj

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 01:06:46 AM »

In my experience, the cameras have been very forgiving, and have not been prone to premature failure. In fact, I have cameras over 5 years old that still work fine. [both color and b/w]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.