Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RCA modules  (Read 5953 times)

marineau

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
RCA modules
« on: December 03, 2006, 12:10:47 PM »

I would like to know if a RCA modules (Lamp,Appliances, Wall Switch) are exactly (electronic) a
same than real X10 modules ?

In this link:
http://www.x10.com/promotions/hc2005_sp_hc60rx.html

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: RCA modules
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 12:20:35 PM »

I would like to know if a RCA modules (Lamp,Appliances, Wall Switch) are exactly (electronic) a
same than real X10 modules

Yes, they are electrically equivalent.
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 06:05:21 PM »

Not only electrically equivalent, all X10 modules, regardless of brand name are manufactured by X10!!!

I have X10, X10 Pro, Stanley, Sears, Radio Shack and Magnavox modules, both hard wired and plug-in, lamp and appliance.  The Magnavox one is the only lamp module I've ever had that has a little door over the code wheels.

Every X10 control program going back to the DOS days saw every lamp module as an X10 one, right through AHP.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 07:21:32 PM »

Only exception is the Black and Decker Freewire Brand. Modules are 100% as they are X10 OEM.
The RF devices are not. Different frequency and their Messenger Hub with Remote are more like a security setup. You register the remote with the Hub. Nice thing is the remote can do all 16 unit codes and the House Code is set on a wheel on the hub. The hub can also remember  2 sets of 4 addresses that can be controlled by one 'Mood Button' on the remote. Also has a all off button. The signals from the Hub to the powerline are 100% X10 so it can control a mixture of modules also. Just that a FW Remote will not work through an X10 transceiver and a X10 remote will not work with a FW Messenger Hub.
They did make one real nice module that is weather resistant for outdoor use. The FWLROD.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 01:15:55 AM »

Not only electrically equivalent, all X10 modules, regardless of brand name are manufactured by X10!!!

I don't think Smarthome or ACT would agree with that statement.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 02:08:17 PM »

What about Leviton?
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 02:41:48 PM »

What about Leviton?

I think Leviton modules (most of them anyway) are manufactured by X-10.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

vhoang

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
    • Automation Tips & Mini DLLs
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 02:57:43 PM »

smarthome and act are the only two i'm aware of that took the original X10 specifications and put a spin on it to try to make it "better" (aka more marketable).

Act A10 products detects at lower mV and were all two way.   

Smarthome's original Linc line used lower mV as well, with install friendly couplers, boosters, and testers.   They are producing and promoting a different product called Insteon now, reverse compatible with X10.

Now elk products has a X10 signal tester as well as a few heavy duty X10 modules which I suspect they make themselves but not sure.

Any others?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 03:00:20 PM by vhoang »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 01:15:33 PM »

smarthome and act are the only two i'm aware of that took the original X10 specifications and put a spin on it to try to make it "better" (aka more marketable).

Act A10 products detects at lower mV and were all two way.   

Smarthome's original Linc line used lower mV as well, with install friendly couplers, boosters, and testers.   They are producing and promoting a different product called Insteon now, reverse compatible with X10.

Now elk products has a X10 signal tester as well as a few heavy duty X10 modules which I suspect they make themselves but not sure.

Any others?

Yup PCS
Make very good products
http://www.pcslighting.com/scenemaster/products.html

BTW Thanks very much for finding the Longlite "Bulb Life Extenders"!  These seem to be the "second generation" of the old diode disks, appears they do not dim the bulb as much as the old diode models. 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

hfbar

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 09:44:24 AM »

You are right about the Longlites.  They are different than the old button in that they do not cut the sine wave in half, but rather regulate the voltage to the bulb by turning the power on and off to the bulb 120 times per second.  The filament doesn't have a chance to cool so the the light output is not effected much, but the life is extended by over 3 times and the energy reduced by 10%.  I use them on all my expensive bulbs.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 04:28:11 PM »

You are right about the Longlites.  They are different than the old button in that they do not cut the sine wave in half, but rather regulate the voltage to the bulb by turning the power on and off to the bulb 120 times per second.  The filament doesn't have a chance to cool so the the light output is not effected much, but the life is extended by over 3 times and the energy reduced by 10%.  I use them on all my expensive bulbs.
Yes, I read that from their web site, but don't quiet understand. Technically 60Hz AC would turn the power off to the bulb 120 times per second anyway. The "chip" must be doing something in addition to providing a soft start for the bulb since the say the light output is only decreased by 10%. I just haven't figured out else is happening, unless they are are chopping out portions of the sine wave like a regular dimmer would do.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.