Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Remote Control  (Read 9571 times)

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
Remote Control
« on: December 27, 2006, 03:55:18 PM »

What remote do you use to control both X10 devices and your A/V equipment ?
Please, tell us the make and model.
If you feel like it, telling us a little something about it would be great.
If not. Just post the make & model.
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Remote Control
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 04:30:01 PM »

I actually have two both are from X10 one is the remote mouse model #JR20A the other is the 8 in one model #UR24A

The 8 in one has a learning function so you can teach it more functions for each device

The mouse remote allows mouse movement on the PC that the interface is connected to !
Unfortunately the X10 software for this is flaky so I use a third party software for it called max10! ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 05:39:18 PM »

I have the UR74A 8 in 1 learning remote. Tuicemen, is that what you have or did X10 make a UR24A?
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 05:44:47 PM »

They did make a "x10 Powerhouse 8 in 1 Remote Control" #UR24A  ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 07:10:59 PM »

I use the UR74A as well.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 07:41:18 PM »

I use the Harmony/Logitech H628. It is programed using a USB computer/WebPage interface (write what you what the remote to do, with what equipment on a Web Page then download the program to the remote via USB). The buttons are "activity based" opposed to equipment based. I push one button in my home theater to turn on all the equipment, and turn off the lights.

It will ONLY send IR X10 signals which has to be converted to line signals, for that I use the X10 IR Mini Controller (IR543).

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:41:36 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

glt

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 08:07:36 PM »

Oh - come on guys - X10 remotes? (Ok the Rf is cool)

Rat shack 15-2117 here (now discontinued) using the JP1 programmable connection! And an IR543 of course.

If you like home automation you'll love this:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/

Check out the forums - there is even an X-10 one (not too active though).

Would be my # 2 hobby, but it just doesn't take much time to set up a PERFECT INEXPENSIVE remote.

If you want one check out the marketplace forum and the advertisers.

I think you'll enjoy.

GLT

Also I use all JVC A/V equipment and the connecting cables (mono mini plugs) that run to all components allow you to - say - put in a DVD and all appropriate equipment comes on set to the correct inputs and settings.

and... yep the mouse remote is cool. I have 2 and use rarely - no software required - just works like a serial mouse. Nice when you output the computer to the big screen. Other than the Win 98 software - it is surely one of the best things X10 ever designed.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 08:13:03 PM by glt »

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 03:05:53 AM »

Plasma displays, LCD displays, new satellite boxes etc. ?

Duck69: I don't have any of the products you asked about to try my UR74A on. I use mine in my livingroom with a 20 year old Sony. But it does work on my familyroom TV with a 2 year old Sony HDTV (same code as the old tv... gotta love Sony ;) :D)

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 07:32:02 AM »

What remote do you use to control both X10 devices and your A/V equipment ?
Please, tell us the make and model.

I use my old CM14A.  It is like the new CM15A, but adds in full IR control too.  It does IR control either locally thru an external wired IR emitter, or remotely thru a PowerMid receiver.  So, you can add IR commands in with the regular X10 module commands, and get more powerful macros, like "turn TV on, select input 3, and dim lights 30%".
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 07:43:21 AM »

I see some of you have the UR74A.
Does it work with newer equipment ?
Plasma displays, LCD displays, new satellite boxes etc. ?

It works with all of my new stuff, from my Toshiba HDTV to my cable system's Motorola HD STB.   For the most part, manufacturers have standardized their own IR commands.  The "power on/off" command for their old 25" set is usually the same as the "power on/off" command for their latest plasma set.

Plus, the UR74A can learn new commands too.  So, even if you can't find a built-in command set that works, you can always have it learn the commands from your original remote.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

glt

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 10:22:14 AM »

What's a CM14A and where can I buy one?

UR74A ain't a bad remote and has learning, but butt ugly - and sure ain't a JP1 remote - see above.

GLT

Just picked up two RS 15-2116's for $8.99 each. Looks like its too late now.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6235&start=15

Oh yeah, for non X-10 remotes: http://www.x10.com/promotions/ir543_2f1_0829.html
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 10:26:37 AM by glt »

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 10:46:07 AM »

I had thought that this would be a good topic, since wireless control is part of our every day lives these days.
Maybe I should do a poll or get a CO to make a sticky.

Since all of us here are involved in Home Automation, have TV's, Stereos etc...
Complete remote control of everything from 1 unit is very important. Otherwise; Why bother  ???  ::)

We don't want to leave the security lights on all night so we have motion sensors, timers and macros. We don't want to get up to change the TV channels and play with the antenna just to get fuzzy reception. (Some of us remember having to do just that.) So most of us have Cable, Satellite or Micro Wave. I don't want my dog to get out so I have an X10 controlled dog fence, We don't want to go out and move around the lawn sprinkler, so we have in ground sprinklers with Rain8 X10 Sprinkler Control. We don't want to get out of the car to roll up the garage door to park. Once again remote controlled doors. Gee Whiz, I could go on & on & on & .....

The point is that we want to automate everything that we can and control all of it with 1 device from the comfort of our couches or easy chairs.  ;D

By the same token we don't to spend a great amount of time manually having a remote learn codes from another.  :(
As an example. If my AFO Kameleon doesn't have a code, I simply call an 800 number. Tell them what I want codes for, hold the remote up to the ear piece of the phone and they program in the codes.

So, let's get a discussion going.  8)

Sony does make some really good stuff. I have a Sony RM-VL600 and it controls everything from my 50" LCD Hitachi to my X10 dog fence.
I also have a Kameleon from AllForOne, which does the same.
The X10's UR24A controls everything except for Directv. I thought about trying to manually program it BUT that would involve me exerting myself and I'm "Resistant to exertion".  ;D
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

glt

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 10:58:46 AM »

"(Some of us remember having to do just that.)"

Huh, not me? What was the question?

BTW the Kameleon (maybe depending on the model - but I'm pretty sure) is a JP1 remote - and although wav files over the phone are cool - FREE JP1 software will run circles around that. Look for 6 pins in the battery compartment.

Worst I have heard about it is that it eats batteries - and some love it - some hate it.

For the poll - I vote for ANY JP1 remote - followed by anything that doesn't require dipping into the (hopeful) retirement money.

GLT

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 01:13:02 PM »

What's a CM14A and where can I buy one?

A follow-on to the CM11A, that never quite made it to the light of day.  Its software is "stuck" at Win 9x level of support (no Win XP possible).  I have no idea where one could get it today (eBay???).

I was just answering the question of, what do I use.

glt

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 01:18:50 PM »

Thanks, got a pic?

The CM15A in unique in its ability to SEND RF. Add IR to that and X10 has MORE of my money.

GLT
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.