Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DS10A Modification for Interfacing to a Normally Open Switch  (Read 31047 times)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
DS10A Modification for Interfacing to a Normally Open Switch
« on: January 08, 2007, 08:18:56 PM »

WARNING: The warranty on your DS10A will be voided, perform this mod in an ESD safe environment, don't burn yourself with the soldering iron, etc., etc., etc.  ;)

To be able to use a Normally Open switch to interface something to trip the alarm on the DS7000 Security System, you can connect 2 wires across the Test Switch of the DS10A (Door / Window Sensor). The following shows how & where I connected these wires.

Remove the existing sensor from the DS10A. Solder these 2 wires together and insulate.

Remove the 3 screws from the back of the DS10A. Open the battery door and lift off the plastic cover (shaped like a "7"). Don't lose the DELAY & TEST buttons which will fall loose.

Lift out the circuit card and flip it over. The following pictures show how to run the wires and where to solder them (sorry for the over-brightness of the pics).

Getting the wires to the Circuit Card
wire.jpg at bottom

Place the circuit card back in it's original position. Be sure to align the battery contact springs correctly.

Where to solder the wires
solder.jpg at bottom

Re-assemble the DS10A. Don't forget the DELAY & TEST buttons.  ;)

Since the Universal Module (UM506) is a Normally Open device, this was the easiest interface method that I found to allow me to use my ActiveEye (MS16A) motion sensors to double as security devices when no one is home. When motion is detected and the sensors are working in the security mode, AHP just has to turn on the UM506 and the DS7000 gets tripped, alarms go off, lights flash and I get a phone call. I have never had a false alarm with the MS16A's.... can't say the same for my MS10A (which I no longer use.)

interface.jpg at bottom
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 04:45:19 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
Re: DS10A Modification for Interfacing to a Normally Open Switch
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 10:25:30 PM »

Puck: Nice write up! Very clear!  Thank you.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 06:20:32 AM »

Nice job Puck, very helpful.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 02:36:21 PM »

Just set this up and it works very well---------good writeup, Puck.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 07:08:51 PM »

A great mod.... and very well done!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 07:46:18 PM »

Good information. Thanks and you get a helpful from me.

ranger88

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 10:29:43 PM »

I notice the original wires are kept long, soldered and insulated.  Any reason why?  Do they act as an antenna?  Can they be cut short?  Just wondering.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 09:50:18 AM »

I notice the original wires are kept long, soldered and insulated.  Any reason why?  Do they act as an antenna?  Can they be cut short?  Just wondering.

As long as the 2 electrical points of contact are shorted together, the wires can be as short as you like or even removed completely and replaced with an internal jumper. I personally left them their original length so I could use them in their normal configuration without opening & re-modifying.

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 12:23:28 PM »

Is this necessary for AHP to use regular motion sensors for the alarm? I use Heyu and I think it could just simply be done in scripting to have them trip the alarm.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 12:37:09 PM »

Is this necessary for AHP to use regular motion sensors for the alarm? I use Heyu and I think it could just simply be done in scripting to have them trip the alarm.

I'm confused about your post...

I'm not sure how scripting can compensate for and replace the interfacing to a physical piece of hardware that has a Normally Open electrical connection.

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 01:20:20 PM »

I'm confused about your post...

I'm not sure how scripting can compensate for and replace the interfacing to a physical piece of hardware that has a Normally Open electrical connection.

You said:

To be able to use a Normally Open switch to interface something to trip the alarm on the DS7000 Security System, you can connect 2 wires across the Test Switch of the DS10A (Door / Window Sensor)

I'm not an AHP user so I'm not sure how things are done in that software, but I believe I can make an ms14/16a trip the alarm only when in an armed stated by simply scripting it in heyu. Although my hardware may be different than yours. I have a w800usb whole house antenna, the 32-bit security rf codes are mapped to regular housecodes in heyu, and I don't have a DS7000 panel although I am able to emulate it by simple scripting algorithms.

The reason i'm inquiring is because like anybody, I would want to use my MS10a's as normal indoor motion sensors when the system is not armed (this includes having to set the sensitivity to 1 on the back, and then in software be able to emulate a setting of 2 when armed so as not to let the pets trip the alarm), and use the normal MS14/16a's as security motion sensors when armed.

I would share my heyu shell scripts but I know this forum is primarily AHP oriented, I'm just here for the hardware support side of the knowledge base.

>! 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:23:27 PM by pomprocker »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 01:58:24 PM »

I would share my heyu shell scripts but I know this forum is primarily AHP oriented, I'm just here for the hardware support side of the knowledge base.

If you have scripts to share I KNOW many would appreciate your sharing.

Home automation is a niche market. X10... although best known of the automation "flavors" is only a portion of a tiny market. So trying to use heyu with Linux (or Mac) as the controlling OS is limited... at best. Charles Sullivan has been the Linux, Unix, and Mac OS advocate and POC (and valuable source of guidance and information) around here since before I can remember. Certainly he can't be expected to do it all.

I am sure you have much to contribute ( I saw your Video). As much as I enjoy voice controlled Home automation using BVC... I am sure many Linux users would enjoy that feaure using your software as well.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 03:31:57 PM »

I'm not an AHP user so I'm not sure how things are done in that software, but I believe I can make an ms14/16a trip the alarm only when in an armed stated by simply scripting it in heyu.

This mod has nothing to do with any controlling software.

As stated in my example, the mod allowed me to connect a DS10A to a universal module to allow me to trigger my DS7000. No emulation... real hardware. Neither AHP nor my V572RF32 can make an MS16A trigger a DS7000 system directly. The DS7000 does not have any user interfaceable software, so the only way to actually trigger it with a MS16A is through a hardware modification.

The example was just just to show one of the uses of a Normally Open device interface.

ranger88

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »

Puck, thanks for the quick reply.  And thanks for sharing your mod on the DS10A.   #:)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.