Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MS14A Motion Sensor  (Read 8388 times)

rms59

• Helpful Post Rating: 15
MS14A Motion Sensor
« on: January 22, 2007, 06:51:58 PM »

Hi.. I'm new here but old x10 user...

I just bought an MS14A motion sensor and installed it outdoors under a soffit so its protected from weather and it monitors the driveway. It works flawlessly when sensing an object and turns on a small light that I have connected to a lamp module indoors..... I have it set for house code E position 15.

The problem I have is that sometimes the light will not turn off, even after 10 minutes with nothing in the driveway. I have changed modules but no dice. I can send an off signal to the lamp module with my Palmpad HR12 and the light will go out and stay out until the next motion is detected.

I have new batteries installed. I haven't found if its temperature related yet but the outside temp is 17 Degrees F.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Dick

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: MS14A Motion Sensor
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 10:17:45 PM »

It works flawlessly when sensing an object and turns on a small light that I have connected to a lamp module indoors.....The problem I have is that sometimes the light will not turn off

I would guess that sometimes there is enough noise on the power line that the X10 signal to turn off isn't received. The noise could even be the light that X10 turned on. I have had similar experiences with the new CFL bulbs.

Or the lamp, or transceiver is at the edge of the range of reception.

Just a guess.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 10:23:05 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

rms59

• Helpful Post Rating: 15
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 02:47:32 PM »

It works flawlessly when sensing an object and turns on a small light that I have connected to a lamp module indoors.....The problem I have is that sometimes the light will not turn off

I would guess that sometimes there is enough noise on the power line that the X10 signal to turn off isn't received. The noise could even be the light that X10 turned on. I have had similar experiences with the new CFL bulbs.

Or the lamp, or transceiver is at the edge of the range of reception.

Just a guess.

Thanks for the reply.
I originally had two RR501's running in my single floor ranch home. They were mounted on each end of the house to improve range but I always had issues with lights sometimes refusing to go on or off. It was manageable so I left it that way. When I bought the Ms14a, I had more problems.

After viewing this forum, I found out that kind of setup was a no no so I removed the extra RR501 and installed the remaining one in the attic, high on the peak and in the center of the house with the antenna pointing down. This cured most of my problems and the range is better than it was with both installed. The height of the RR501's makes a huge difference in range. However, now the motion sensor didn't even turn on anymore, let alone fail to go out. I was all set to put it on its own house code when I ran across this antenna mod.......

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=10982.msg62760#msg62760

I laughed when I read it and was skeptical but I figured what the heck it was no trouble to try so I went and found a piece of 14 gauge house wiring. (not what was recommended) I pulled out the copper ground wire from it and cut it to 18 inches like it said to do. I couldn't fit it so I cut it down to 9 inches and scotch taped it to the motion detector on the left side of the sensor window. It was 14 degrees outside, and with the wind chill factor at -20 I didn't do a good job.

When I went inside, the light that the sensor turns on was lit and then went out. Its been running perfectly now for about 3 days and its still cold out. I still don't believe in that mod........ but I'm not laughing anymore.

When it warms up, I'm going to hot glue that wire in place.

Thanks again....

Dick

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 08:52:24 AM »

Thanks for the reply, return post!

It's always nice to hear how things worked out!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.