Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Control of a lamp plugged into an APC UPS?  (Read 26169 times)

michrech

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Control of a lamp plugged into an APC UPS?
« on: February 11, 2007, 08:20:20 PM »

I have a lamp that is plugged into a UPS that I would like to control with something that looks as close to a normal light switch as possible.  I tried using the "online chat with a sales person", but didn't get very far.  Everything he showed me sent the signal through the AC line which, if I'm not mistaken, would get filtered out by the UPS.

So, here I am, turning to those with FAR more experience than I.

I know I need a controller of some sort, a switch of some sort, and the plug for the lamp.  What I need to know is if there is an adapter for the lamp that receives it's signal via RF instead of over the AC line.  I've looked through the site and, when I could get all the pop-up's closed, couldn't find anything that seemed to fit.

If x10 doesn't have anything that will do what I need, is there something compatible from another company?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Control of a lamp plugged into an APC UPS?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 09:55:58 PM »

michrech, you could use a TM751 Transceiver. It has a built in appliance module that is controlled via RF from a remote.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 10:03:12 PM »

Puck is right. And to turn it on and off you can use the slimline switch (SS13a, SS15a) that looks very much like a regular switch. There are also other remotes to chose from.

You will need to plug the TM751 Transceiver directly into the UPS and the lamp into the Transceiver. The Transceiver will turn the lamp on at unit code 1 of whichever house code you use.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 10:05:00 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

michrech

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 10:44:54 PM »

What is the difference between the SS13a and the SS15a?  After having looked them up, they *appear* to be exactly the same.

Have the TM751 in my cart.  Just need to see what the difference is between the other to so I can add one to the cart and check out. :)

jkarney

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 12:42:59 AM »

What is the difference between the SS13a and the SS15a?

The difference is in the switch color options. SS13a is white in color. The SS15a has a gold color inset.

:)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 12:44:35 AM by jkarney »

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 12:44:17 AM »

Puck is right. And to turn it on and off you can use the slimline switch (SS13a, SS15a) that looks very much like a regular switch. There are also other remotes to chose from.

You will need to plug the TM751 Transceiver directly into the UPS and the lamp into the Transceiver. The Transceiver will turn the lamp on at unit code 1 of whichever house code you use.

Uh, oh... Maybe not a good idea.  There have been several reports of a TM751 being smoked by the not-quite-sinusoidal waveform in a UPS.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 09:19:39 AM »

Uh, oh... Maybe not a good idea.  There have been several reports of a TM751 being smoked by the not-quite-sinusoidal waveform in a UPS.

Charles: Thanks for pointing that out. I did a search and found a couple posts where this was mentioned. It appears this method of jumping a UPS depends on the quality of the UPS itself... I.E. True Sinewave vs Modified Sinewave.

Signal bypassing a UPS

UPS-Unswitched power supply and X10?

michrech

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 09:48:04 AM »

Too late now.  :D  Already ordered. 

I have several UPS's I can use for this.  One of the threads that were posted said that the SmartUPS line from APC shoudl produce the right type of wave for the power supply in the TM751.  These aren't expensive (to me, anyway), so if I kill one, well, I guess I'll have'ta figure something else out. :) 

I guess I could always take the power coming directly from the UPS and use it for the line voltage instead of having a line from a breaker (if that makes any sense), however, I wanted to avoid doing all sorts of wiring if I could help it.  :)

If anyone else has ideas, feel free to add!  :)

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 11:17:38 AM »

[Charles: Thanks for pointing that out. I did a search and found a couple posts where this was mentioned. It appears this method of jumping a UPS depends on the quality of the UPS itself... I.E. True Sinewave vs Modified Sinewave.

Signal bypassing a UPS

UPS-Unswitched power supply and X10?

It may also depend on whether the UPS is operating with normal AC power or off the battery pack.  One I have is supposed to draw directly from the AC line until a power outage, when it then quickly switches over to the simulated AC.  So for one like this, the TM751 might appear to be working fine, but then burn out when the AC power fails.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 02:15:38 PM »

I smoked a TM751 with a APC BX1000. When on battery and the X10 signals will not pass back through the UPS AC Input Filters in Line Operation.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 02:50:58 PM »

I have burnt up a TM751 as well using a modified sine wave inverter! ::) ???
How ever I do Have a lamp pluged into my APC UPS with a Socket Rocket (LM15A) screwed into the lamp and It works fine, and has for a number of years! ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 04:18:14 PM »

Thanks for the added data. I have three APC UPS units. Only the newest BX1000 fried the TM751. The others just worked poorly.
Than again. I may have messed up as I may have left the X10 Filter on the UPS AC Input. ??? :P

michrech

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 11:46:52 PM »

The UPS I'll be testing is an APC SmartUPS 620.  Whenever the package gets here (I chose the cheap shipping), I'll let you guys know the results.

As for the LM15A.  How does that fit in?  Do I keep the switch and TM751 I've ordered, then put the LM15a in the lamp socket, but plug the TM751 into the wall instead of the UPS?

Many thanks!  :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 08:29:08 AM »

As for the LM15A.  How does that fit in?  Do I keep the switch and TM751 I've ordered, then put the LM15a in the lamp socket, but plug the TM751 into the wall instead of the UPS?

That would be correct michrech.

Sorry if I stuck my foot in my....keyboard... about plugging the TM751 into the UPS. Do let us know how that works out.

And Thank-You to all the COs that jumped in with valuable and helpful information!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

michrech

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 10:56:06 AM »

Thanks, everyone, for the help/comments.  As soon as the parts arrive, I'll test the TM751 on my UPS and see if I blow it up or if it works. :)  Maybe we can get some sort of grid/database together to show which UPS's these units work properly on? :)  I have a variety of APC UPS's in my house as it is.  Heh

Looks like I'll very possibly be needing to order an LM15A.  At least I have $1.60 (or something similar) in X10 bonus bucks to do so with..  Hehe

Thanks again!

That would be correct michrech.

Sorry if I stuck my foot in my....keyboard... about plugging the TM751 into the UPS. Do let us know how that works out.

And Thank-You to all the COs that jumped in with valuable and helpful information!
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.