Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to link two motion detectors together to reduce false alarms?  (Read 7102 times)

LW

• Helpful Post Rating: 1

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I came across an excellent set of instructions for home security at a police website: http://www.police.edmonton.ab.ca/Crime%20Prevention%20toolbox/security.asp . It recommends, among other things, "Two sensors may also be aimed at the same area, from different angles, and wired to require dual activation before sending in an alarm. Again, this reduces false alarms..." This strikes me as being very smart, and if we can do it with these customizable X10 motion detectors, this would help solve the problem that many here have reported concerning X10.com's detectors. I think the unit in question was the MS10A.

So, question 1: Can two detectors (MS10A or other) be physically wired together, especially from different parts of the room, so that both have to go off at the same time in order for the appropriate signal to be sent to the alarm controller (ProtectorPlus, or MonitorPlus, or CM15a with OnAlert)? Please post instructions that a newbie with no experience in electronics could follow, and if possible a diagram?

Question 2: Without these being physically wired together, can it be done through configuration and software using a Macro in ActiveHome with OnAlert? (E.g., could two or more motion detectors be put on a different house code than the ProtectorPlus alarm, so that when the ActiveHome/OnAlert interface box receives two signals to alarm on that house code at the same time, it sends an alarm signal to the ProtectorPlus unit on the regular house code? This suggested method assumes that ActiveHome and its box can operate on two house codes at the same time...?)

Thanks for your time, everyone!
I just placed an order for my first batch of X10 stuff last night, and I am a little excited about it.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: How to link two motion detectors together to reduce false alarms?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 12:47:27 PM »

LW: Welcome to the forum and to the X10.

For question 1, I think this would be difficult without a schematic... plus the MS10A's firmware would probably make it even more tougher to link two of them.

For question 2, This would be possible with AHP & OnAlert. I posted this idea before (Possible MS10A False Detection Workaround), but at the time I did not have the OnAlert plug-in to try it; I have it now but I only have one MS10A. There was no reply to that post so I'm guessing no one tried it. Maybe you can be the first and post about it.  ;)

Good luck with your set up, and looking forward to seeing more posts once you get going.  :)

LW

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 01:36:26 PM »

Hi Puck,

Thanks very much for replying. I read your article, and noticed that you said at the end, "Another possibility (similar to above) would be to just use one MS10A in mode 1 (single movement detection) and use AHP/OnAlert macros to simulate mode 2 (two detections) before triggering an alarm." Have you tried this? Did it work?

Best wishes.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 01:40:06 PM »

Question 2: Without these being physically wired together, can it be done through configuration and software using a Macro in ActiveHome with OnAlert? (E.g., could two or more motion detectors be put on a different house code than the ProtectorPlus alarm, so that when the ActiveHome/OnAlert interface box receives two signals to alarm on that house code at the same time, it sends an alarm signal to the ProtectorPlus unit on the regular house code? This suggested method assumes that ActiveHome and its box can operate on two house codes at the same time...?)

It should be possible using five conditional macros, and two flags. 

For motion detector #1 'on', it would need to check to see if the other motion detector has set its flag 'on'.  If so (macro #1), you have confirmation and do what you need to do.  If not (macro #2), then set your  flag 'on'.

For motion detector #2 'on', it would need to check to see if the other motion detector has set its flag 'on'.  If so (macro #3), you have confirmation and do what you need to do.  If not (macro #4), then set your  flag 'on'.

An 'off' (macro #5) would be needed to clear both flags.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 01:47:54 PM »

I have not tried using a software simulated 2 motion mode. My MS10A is so bad, it sends a false trigger approximately every 15 seconds! I even placed it in an enclosed box with the same results. So I could never feel comfortable using it in any mode; this is why I now use MS16A's around my home... never had a single false alarm with these. When I did get OnAlert, I played with it again but same results. My MS10A is definitely defective. I personally have zero confidence in these units to spend any money on getting more.

LW

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 07:01:46 PM »

Thank you both for your responses. When I receive my order and get time to install it all, I will try one of these options. My follow-up question, for each proposed method (a., the simulated 2-motion mode macro; and b., the 5 conditional/2 flag macros), is: is it necessary to have a computer running in order for it to work, or can these macros be downloaded to the CM15A box and run from there without further assistance from the computer?

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 07:10:16 PM »

LW: The OnAlert plug in and all security modules require a 24/7 PC connection. Unfortunately any macros containing these items cannot be downloaded to the CM15A.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.