Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wired or wireless, which is better?  (Read 40925 times)

TNP

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Wired or wireless, which is better?
« on: March 07, 2007, 01:51:58 AM »

I'm trying to decide between the wired and wireless cameras. I live out in the country with hardly any light in my yard, so I need good night reception. I also need a camera that can get good reception up to a half an acre during daylight. Would I be better off with a wired system? Can't afford high priced, so I'm looking for the best among the lower priced cameras.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
Re: Wired or wireless, which is better?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 06:37:59 AM »

The wired cameras provide a more stable picture especially when using the Ninja. It is also less affected by other electronics like cordless phones and microwaves. In my opinion none of the X10 cameras are worth a darn in low light conditions. As far as viewing a half acre, I guess that depends on what you want to see. At 150 - 200 feet away you will be able to see movement but you will not be able to identify who it is.

To be able to view much of anything at night in low light you really should concider a camera with IR.

Well thats my 2 cents worth. I am sure others will chime in with their opinions.

Jim
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 06:01:42 PM »

As JimC Pointed out wired cams provide a better pictureand less problems with interference. for a low light camcheck out Walmart (US only) they carry a color nightvision wired cam with built in infra-red lighting for around $50 U.S. ;) :D ;D Many on the forum are using these, myself included! In Any case mount your cam to a Ninja and you'll be able to increase the coverage  and need fewer cams! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

TNP

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 10:37:17 PM »

Thanks for the info! I remember seeing that camera at Walmart a few months ago, so I went to get one today, but our walmart has raised the price for the Astak 612W to over $100, so I ended up not getting it. I checked Walmart's site, but it's not available there. I wonder if it's something they're discontinuing. Astak's page for "where to buy" just takes me to a "page not found" error.

Does anyone know what the angle of the lens is on the Astak? I've been looking at cameras all day and there is such a variation of what they consider "wide angle".  I'd like to get one that shows a large area, but Astak's specs don't give the angle.

Sam's Club has a Wisecomm outdoor color camera with a 92 degree lens for $48.54. Anyone have any experience with that one?

JimC

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 07:03:41 AM »

TNP,
Check out this link it should take you to the Astak site. I did not see the viewing angle for the 612 listed but I checked out several of their wireless cameras and the viewing angle was listed as 62 degrees.

Jim

http://www.astak.com/CM812C2.htm
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 03:14:29 PM »

Here is a link to the Astak cam you can get online for $59
The viewing area is slightly greater then the regular X10 cams but not the wide eyes!
I find the color a little washed out in bright daylight and non existent at night but the picture Quality is excellent! If you need a large viewing area I suggest getting a Ninja pan and tilt base and install which ever cam you get to that! ;) You'll be amazed at the coverage!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

TNP

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 10:33:46 PM »

Thanks, Jim and Tuicemen. I went to an out of town Walmart today and they said they had 2 of the Astaks in stock, but they couldn't find them. They're going to look for them and call me if they find them. If not, I'll order from that site. I also ordered the Wisecomm. Even with the Ninja, the way my property is, I'm going to need 3-4 cameras. At 92 degrees, I'm hoping the Wisecomm will get most of the front without a Ninja, and an Astak on the side, and one on the back with a Ninja. I'm going to try out one Wisecomm and one Astak to start with. Now I gotta figure out how to run cable to the inside of my house (a doublewide mobile home) without having to run them thru the crawlspace. I'm a big wuss when it comes to hanging out with creepy crawly bugs in dark spaces.  ;D

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 01:46:10 PM »

Now I gotta figure out how to run cable to the inside of my house (a doublewide mobile home) without having to run them thru the crawlspace. I'm a big wuss when it comes to hanging out with creepy crawly bugs in dark spaces.  ;D

Nothing like a well done wiring job! [There are at least a couple old wire twisters here at the forum.] A steel fish tape (click here) and an extendable pole (both available at your local building supply) plus a nice length of good nylon cord, and you won't need to enter the crawl space.

• From inside, drill your hole and feed the steel tape with the cord attached. The tape has a curve... use the curve to direct the tape in the correct direction.
  • If you can't feed the tape to outside the crawl space, use the extended pole to (reach in from outside and) grab the (attached) cord.
  • With the cord outside, disconnect it (or cut it) from the tape. Pull the tape back inside and use the cord to pull your wires in.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 10:26:51 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

TNP

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 11:00:56 AM »

Thank you Dave! That will save me a bundle on hiring someone to crawl under there!  :)

Now I have what is probably a stupid mounting question. I got both the Wisecomm and the Astak cameras. They're both supposed to be wall/ceiling mountable. But when I mount it on the ceiling the image is upside down. I know there must be a way to fix this, but how? Do I need to take the camera apart and change something inside the lens? I unscrewed one lens cover and it didn't seem like the inside was made to be messed with.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 01:23:18 PM »

On the Astak if you look at the backend of the cam where the bracket is mounted... you will see 2 tiny unused holes. You can unscrew the mounting plate and refasten it in those holes which will flip the cam making the image correct. Not sure about the Wisecomm cam.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

TNP

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 06:17:06 PM »

Thanks, KDR! I see the holes on the Astak. The Wisecomm doesn't have that but I think I found a place where I can mount it on a wall. The night vision on the Wisecomm sucks, by the way. But it has a great daytime picture and I really like the wide angle view.

The Wisecomm has the cable attached right to the camera, so it's truly weather proof. The Astak says it's weather proof, but it has a few inches of cable attached to the camera, and then you plug in the rest of the cable to that with RCA plugs, so I don't know what to do about keeping the connections dry in the rain. Even mounting it under eaves won't keep the rain out when there's a heavy wind, which is most of the time here.  I wonder if wrapping the connections in electrical tape would waterproof it enough.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 07:17:45 PM »

You can try that or shop around for a piece of heat shrink tubbing and slip that over it. Applie a little heat and you have a nice tight seal.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

JimC

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 07:19:39 PM »

Quote from: TNP
I wonder if wrapping the connections in electrical tape would waterproof it enough.  

You could wrap it in electrical tape and that may work. What I have found to be fairly effective is to first wrap the connection in plastic wrap and then cover it with electrical tape. What is even better is to protect the connection with coax sealant. It is like electrical tape but is more rubbery and very stretchy. It is specifically made for sealing connections outside. Radio Shack use to have it. If they don't have it you could check any of the amateur radio supply sites on line all of them have it. Below are a few links.

http://www.aesham.biz/pdf/aes_catalog.pdf   item UNV104

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/antsup/1194.html
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 07:32:36 PM by JimC »
_ _ ...  ..._ _

TNP

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 03:27:44 AM »

Thanks, KDR and Jim!

JLMP

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 04:30:07 PM »

I'm trying to decide between the wired and wireless cameras. I live out in the country with hardly any light in my yard, so I need good night reception. I also need a camera that can get good reception up to a half an acre during daylight. Would I be better off with a wired system? Can't afford high priced, so I'm looking for the best among the lower priced cameras.

I suggest that you think in a wired solution. The Wireless is good but sometimes has the interference signal problem. Evaluate this issue before buy a wireless solution. Remember that if you are thinking to install cameras in a wide range you may be experience a interference or lost of signal because of a distance.

[-Bill- (of wgjohns.com) Edit: Moved JLMP's response to outside of the quote box.]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 05:06:37 PM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.