X10 Zone > Article Discussion

A Legislative Upheaval For X-10

(1/3) > >>

Oldtimer:
Follow this URL to read a thought provoking article on what might be a death knell for a lot of X-10 products in the future if the Connecticut Legislature has its way.  Ironically it's in the name of energy efficiency which many of us have used X-10 to accomplish since the beginning.

http://www.sfpasc.com/x10/CTIncBulbBan.pdf

We need to look a lot more closely at integrating CFLs into our X-10 systems than we have so far!

JeffVolp:

--- Quote ---We need to look a lot more closely at integrating CFLs into our X-10 systems than we have so far!
--- End quote ---

It is possible for CFLs and X10 to cohabitate.  The problem arises when the high-frequency chopper runs in the X10 band.  That can be dealt with by filters.  I wrote a tutorial on dealing with CFLs:

http://jvde.us/x10/x10_cfls.htm

Jeff

Brian H:
Jeff; How about the wall dimmers that steal power through the load?

JeffVolp:

--- Quote ---Jeff; How about the wall dimmers that steal power through the load?
--- End quote ---

Almost all of our ceiling CFLs are on Leviton 16293 relay switches that include the neutral connection for signal return.  The one CFL on a dimmer uses a Leviton 16383 that also has a neutral connection.

As described in the tutorial, I use Leviton 6287 in-line filters between the Leviton X10 switches and all CFL fixtures.  That filter would also block the X10 signal if used with a switch that passes the signal through the load.

There are certainly CFLs out there that do not cause a problem for X10.  While I haven't scoped one yet, the new n:vision CFLs sold by Home Depot work fine on a X10 lamp module just switched on/off.  However, my X10 signals are stronger than in an average house, so that might be a factor.

Jeff

Dan Lawrence:
The Bill is in the Connecticut Legislature, but there's no guarantee it will pass. The standard light bulb lobby will most certainly try to block it. No other state has tried this.

I did check a couple of  the sites listed in Jeff's post and the dimmable CFLs top out at 75 watts of brightness and a steep cost -80 bucks for a six-pack plus shipping. Home Depot in Maryland does not carry them.  In order for dimmable CFL's to be a common item

I have standard CFLs in 5 Socket rockets and they work fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version